Pressure increases on [Canada] to stay or leave F-35 program

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
  • Author

mixelflick

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post23 Mar 2019, 12:15

Did not know Rafale was out, thanks for letting me know.

madrat

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post23 Mar 2019, 13:45

Great picture of a Canadian 'Rainbow Warrior'.

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post23 Mar 2019, 15:28

A Canadian Beto.
"There I was. . ."

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post28 Mar 2019, 01:33

Once again, the federal budget turns a blind eye to Canada's military needs

By David Krayden

Last week’s federal budget offered relatively modest spending with targeted funding after years of spending from a government that seemed to believe the deficit will solve itself. Unfortunately, the Canadian Armed Forces again escaped the finance minister’s gaze and for the second consecutive year, national defence is conspicuous by its absence from the budget.

You might recall the fanfare when Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan released the Liberals’ defence policy review in 2017: “Strong, Secure, Engaged.” It was already more than six months overdue and there was a feeling among defence analysts and most journalists that the Liberals had to deliver a document that suggested serious resolve.

Sajjan promised a whopping 70-per-cent increase in defence spending, pledging to drive funding up to $32.7 billion from $18.9 billion. Naval ships, combat-support vehicles and 88 fighter jets would be replaced through “an open and transparent competition.”

But there was one large disclaimer. All of this would happen over the next decade, assuming the realities of 2017 would remain constant during that period. How well would any government have done predicting the military needs of 1942 based on the geopolitics of 1932?

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/once-a ... tary-needs

XanderCrews

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post28 Mar 2019, 04:29

One day someone's gonna rake all you leafs...
Choose Crews

mixelflick

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post28 Mar 2019, 12:58

Going to be expensive evaluation.

To remedy that, I propose sending them this entire 348 page thread. Because at this point I'm confident we've flushed out every detail (and then some) they otherwise would. Boy wonder (if he's still there) can point out how much $ Canada saved, and finally, perhaps someone up there would get that point that the most capable and inexpensive aircraft = winner.

Somehow, they keep missing that. :mrgreen:

luke_sandoz

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post28 Mar 2019, 14:27

XanderCrews wrote:Image

One day someone's gonna rake all you leafs...

Seems glitter is able to fall off turds after all. Maybe switching out leaders will save the RCAF
Attachments
FBC07FA9-2677-48B5-878F-E3D90D120D31.png

ricnunes

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post28 Mar 2019, 16:18

I just can't to see this moron being "expelled" from the Federal Government.

The good news (and to complement luke_sandoz's post) is that according to polls (since the 1st of February) the trend seems to be that there's a very good chance for this to happen in the next elections:

source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_p ... l_election

With "Red" being the Liberal Party (LPC) which is Trudeau's party while "Blue" is the Conservatives.
A 4th/4.5th gen fighter aircraft stands about as much chance against a F-35 as a guns-only Sabre has against a Viper.

lipovitand

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post05 Apr 2019, 07:17

Good chance for F18 decision if the con win I hope.

ricnunes

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post05 Apr 2019, 12:32

lipovitand wrote:Good chance for F18 decision if the con win I hope.

Why?? :shock:

I would say that if the Conservatives win that the bigger chances are for the F-35 (and by far).

Remember that when the Conservatives were government that they basically selected the F-35 (without competition). Only after the Liberal government won the election afterwards was when this fighter aircraft procurement "charade" happened (again, in great part due to the Justin Trudeau's election promise to not buy the F-35 and buy a cheaper aircraft, as if that existed in the first place) which resulted in the current Canadian fighter competition.
A 4th/4.5th gen fighter aircraft stands about as much chance against a F-35 as a guns-only Sabre has against a Viper.

lipovitand

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post05 Apr 2019, 12:58

ricnunes wrote:
lipovitand wrote:Good chance for F18 decision if the con win I hope.

Why?? :shock:

I would say that if the Conservatives win that the bigger chances are for the F-35 (and by far).

Remember that when the Conservatives were government that they basically selected the F-35 (without competition). Only after the Liberal government won the election afterwards was when this fighter aircraft procurement "charade" happened (again, in great part due to the Justin Trudeau's election promise to not buy the F-35 and buy a cheaper aircraft, as if that existed in the first place) which resulted in the current Canadian fighter competition.

What I was hoping for is once the con win, just scrap the competition, get the F35 and call it a day. We have other things as well that need replacing, like the new camo, ships, vests, and other stuff. I just hate how it takes soo long to make a decision.

ricnunes

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post05 Apr 2019, 17:28

lipovitand wrote:What I was hoping for is once the con win, just scrap the competition, get the F35 and call it a day.

Yes, I agree that would be the best course of action.

However the most likely thing to happen IMO, is that the Conservatives (if they win) will just let the competition go on and in the end select the F-35 as the winner of that same competition. But even with this I don't think that the any other aircraft including the F-18 which you mention earlier on, will have much of a chance to win this competition. This one will be for the F-35! At least I hope so...

lipovitand wrote:We have other things as well that need replacing, like the new camo, ships, vests, and other stuff. I just hate how it takes soo long to make a decision.

Yes, I agree that there's a lot of stuff that needs to be replaced within the Canadian Forces, including some of what you mentioned above.
However I absolutely don't think that cammo is one of them. I don't see anything wrong with CADPAT. Actually the US Marines seem to be extremely happy with it or more precisely with a variation of it, which is MARPAT.

optimist

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post05 Apr 2019, 17:44

ricnunes wrote:I just can't to see this moron being "expelled" from the Federal Government.

The good news (and to complement luke_sandoz's post) is that according to polls (since the 1st of February) the trend seems to be that there's a very good chance for this to happen in the next elections:

source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_p ... l_election

With "Red" being the Liberal Party (LPC) which is Trudeau's party while "Blue" is the Conservatives.

It looks like the LPC and NDP can form a coalition and win government.
Aussie fanboy

ricnunes

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post05 Apr 2019, 18:30

optimist wrote:
It looks like the LPC and NDP can form a coalition and win government.

That would be the very first time that something like that would happen in Canada.
As such I find such scenario unlikely to happen.
IMO, there are too many diferences between the NDP (basically "Social-Democrats") and the LPC (which despite being often touted as "Left" they are indeed "Center-Right" or resuming, Liberals).
But of course, we can never say never.

lipovitand

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post05 Apr 2019, 21:39

ricnunes wrote:

Yes, I agree that would be the best course of action.

However the most likely thing to happen IMO, is that the Conservatives (if they win) will just let the competition go on and in the end select the F-35 as the winner of that same competition. But even with this I don't think that the any other aircraft including the F-18 which you mention earlier on, will have much of a chance to win this competition. This one will be for the F-35! At least I hope so...

Hell no, I dont support F18, I meant the replacement for it. it was 2am when I posted that :mrgreen:

lipovitand wrote:
Yes, I agree that there's a lot of stuff that needs to be replaced within the Canadian Forces, including some of what you mentioned above.
However I absolutely don't think that cammo is one of them. I don't see anything wrong with CADPAT. Actually the US Marines seem to be extremely happy with it or more precisely with a variation of it, which is MARPAT.

Off topic:

The new camo is a digitalized multicam. If the coulour changes, the rest has to chage as well, ruck sacks, vests, plate carriers, small pacts etc. Its not a priority from my point of view(grunt guy) but some higher up decided to change it, the current CADPAT is fine. There are other things as well but no money and no love from the govt :(
PreviousNext

Return to Program and politics