Pressure increases on [Canada] to stay or leave F-35 program

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
  • Author

neptune

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post09 Jan 2018, 05:54

blindpilot wrote:Warning :offtopic: :offtopic: sort of ...

Since my first post here was on the Canadian thread before this one ...
and after ?? >500 pages of posts through the years nothing has changed ...
I figured I'd make my 1K post the same one with the same relevance.

Do the politicians in Canada have a clue as to what they are doing?
Don't answer that ... 300+ pages never did ...

Greetings again five years later,
BP Elite 1K post

....sadly not even useful for the occasional joke.
:(

alloycowboy

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post11 Jan 2018, 17:40

Canada appeals to WTO ahead of US CSeries ruling

Two weeks before US trade officials are set to rule on a case against Bombardier, the Canadian government has filed a complaint against the USA with the World Trade Organisation.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ng-444789/

alloycowboy

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post11 Jan 2018, 17:49

Trade Wars: Canada files WTO Complaint Against US

https://www.airinsight.com/trade-wars-c ... gainst-us/

XanderCrews

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post11 Jan 2018, 18:37

spazsinbad wrote:
alloycowboy wrote:Spaz........It is interesting because where it is being printed which is Cold Lake, Alberta which is home to one of Canada's two Fighter Bases.

However the article is just repeating old news.

What article regarding Canadas CF-18 replacement isn't the same old story?

Hurry up and wait then wait then wait
Choose Crews

mixelflick

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post12 Jan 2018, 16:01

Cold Lake, Alberta which is home to one of Canada's two Fighter Bases.

How can a country the size of Canada feign an air defense mission (credibly) with TWO fighter bases - for the whole country? Let alone miniscule buys of aircraft. They're great people, do a fine job of keeping the riff raff out but c'mon. They're depending on the US in any mass bomber raid...

alloycowboy

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post12 Jan 2018, 17:04

Cold Lake has the Primrose Air Weapons Range, see the link....

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/4-w ... ining.page

durahawk

Unread post12 Jan 2018, 17:43

mixelflick wrote:Cold Lake, Alberta which is home to one of Canada's two Fighter Bases.

How can a country the size of Canada feign an air defense mission (credibly) with TWO fighter bases - for the whole country? Let alone miniscule buys of aircraft. They're great people, do a fine job of keeping the riff raff out but c'mon. They're depending on the US in any mass bomber raid...

The long and short of it is they can't without a healthy dose of confidence that they will be backed up by their loud, insufferable southern neighbor.

Honestly though, why would anyone invade the great white North anyway? Dimples Trudeau will simply preemptively win over enemies with cuddles, that adorable little smile, and charm.

go4long

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post15 Jan 2018, 16:12

mixelflick wrote:Cold Lake, Alberta which is home to one of Canada's two Fighter Bases.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here (I'm often wrong...or if you ask my wife, always), but those are just the bases that have squadrons on station. We also have F-18's deployed to a few other locations across the country...but yes, for the second largest land area in the world to have such a small fighter fleet is a little odd. We spend about 1% of GDP on our military, which puts us near the bottom of the NATO allies.

ricnunes

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post15 Jan 2018, 17:12

go4long wrote:Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here (I'm often wrong...or if you ask my wife, always), but those are just the bases that have squadrons on station. We also have F-18's deployed to a few other locations across the country...

No, I don't think you're wrong (don't listen to your wife :mrgreen: ). If I'm not mistaken the CF-18s are usually deployed/detached to forward and other bases such as Iqaluit in Nunavut (NU), Rankin Inlet (NU), Inuvik in Northwest Territories (NT), Goose Bay in Newfoundland and Labrador (NL) and Comox in British Columbia (BC).

Here:
http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/assets ... 013-hr.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFB_Goose_Bay

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFB_Comox

go4long wrote:but yes, for the second largest land area in the world to have such a small fighter fleet is a little odd. We spend about 1% of GDP on our military, which puts us near the bottom of the NATO allies.

But yes, I also agree that even with temporary detachments this is not enough for what is the second largest country in terms of landmass.
This is specially appalling when compared to the number of air bases where the Canadian Forces Air Command fighter aircraft operated from (on a permanent basis) during the Cold War (and I'm not even mentioning Baden–Soellingen in West Germany).

blindpilot

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post15 Jan 2018, 18:28

durahawk wrote:....
Honestly though, why would anyone invade the great white North anyway? Dimples Trudeau will simply preemptively win over enemies with cuddles, that adorable little smile, and charm.

Well I used to point out Arctic oil and mineral rights and the NW passage control .....
BUT BUT .... That has had no effect Sooooooo .... [sarc on]

I'm taking a new tack. There is a serious threat of the uncontrollable drunken Russian Sailors who have an insatiable appetite for BABY SEALS!

Canada better start taking this seriously .... no ... seriously! Dimples better turn on those dimples soon! or ... what will become of the baby seals? [sarc off]

MHO,
BP

steve2267

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post15 Jan 2018, 18:43

BP... close, but not quite the whole seegarr... the headline needs to scream:

Drunken Russian Sailors Forcibly Prevent Seals from Having Abortions!!!

Only then might the Canaduhians be shocked out of their stupor.
Take an F-16, add a dollop of A-7, a big gob of F-22, sprinkle on some AV-8B, stir well, then bake. What do you get? An F-35.

pushoksti

Unread post15 Jan 2018, 20:42

go4long wrote:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here (I'm often wrong...or if you ask my wife, always), but those are just the bases that have squadrons on station. We also have F-18's deployed to a few other locations across the country...but yes, for the second largest land area in the world to have such a small fighter fleet is a little odd. We spend about 1% of GDP on our military, which puts us near the bottom of the NATO allies.

We only have two bases because the Canadian public doesn't care about its military. The amount of people who believe "the US will protect us" is a lot higher than you think. Most people in the prairie provinces doesn't even know the military exists.

go4long

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post16 Jan 2018, 17:23

pushoksti wrote:
go4long wrote:

We only have two bases because the Canadian public doesn't care about its military. The amount of people who believe "the US will protect us" is a lot higher than you think. Most people in the prairie provinces doesn't even know the military exists.

This is drifting a little off topic, but I'd disagree. I think everyone knows the military exists, I think the issue is that many people still have this notion that Canada is a "peace keeping" country, as opposed to a war fighting country...while at one point in our history that might have been true, it definitely isn't at the moment.

People view our military as an unneccesary extravagance because they truly don't understand what it is our military actually does, which is unfortunate. Most of the primary oponents of the new fighter purchase would likely assert that we never use our F-18's.

alloycowboy

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post16 Jan 2018, 18:48

They say a picture is worth a thousand words:

When you realize that earth is actually round you can see why Canada really only needs two big air bases to defend its northern territory as there isn't a lot of infrustructure to defend North of Fort McMurray, Alberta.

It is only with the recent development of the long range bomber Tupolev Tu-160 that Russia has a bomber that is actually a realistic threat to North American airspace.

When more shipping traffic starts using the North West Passage Canada will have to beef up its military presence in the area but that is going to happen slowly over decades.

For the mean time RCAF could forward base some F-35A's out of Resolute Bay Airport if they really needed to.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resolute_Bay_Airport

go4long

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post16 Jan 2018, 21:12

Didn't the expansion plan at Resolute never go through and it's still a gravel strip?
PreviousNext

Return to Program and politics