Pressure increases on [Canada] to stay or leave F-35 program

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
  • Author

sunstersun

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post13 Sep 2017, 05:12

It's a good thing there's no way boeing will back off this dispute.

luke_sandoz

Unread post13 Sep 2017, 05:31

spazsinbad wrote:Why would a reporter say 'nearly 20' instead of 18? What is wrong with these people - facts matter SHIRLEY.
With $5B Order, Canada Lays Groundwork to Buy F/A-18E/F Super Hornets
12 Sep 2017 Oriana Pawlyk

"The U.S. government has agreed to a potential sale of nearly 20 F/A-18E/F Super Hornet aircraft to Canada worth $5.23 billion, the State Department announced....

...Competition to purchase an entirely new fighter jet will come at a later date, Sajjan said. Canada has been in discussions for years to purchase approximately 60 F-35 jets, but lawmakers have grown weary of setbacks in the stealth jet program. [OOOooo they are so sensitive whilst real buyers are not - prissy Canadian Pollies - more like gutless but I canna say that aye] In June, Trudeau called the aircraft one that “does not work and is far from working.”

Canada’s Super Hornet buy is for the Block II configuration — not the Block III, known as F/A-18XT. The U.S. Navy has plans to upgrade its E/F fleet to the Block III configuration, as budgetary limitations allow...." [then some drivel]

Source: https://www.dodbuzz.com/2017/09/12/5b-o ... r-hornets/

Because she is desperate and has her head stuck up her **** end?

XanderCrews

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post13 Sep 2017, 06:05

Can someone explain to this slow American how the conservatives getting the F-35 cost wrong is a scandal but the liberals getting the price of the super hornet wrong to the tune of a quarter billion each is not worth noting? All while foregoing a competition, and issuing gag orders?
Last edited by XanderCrews on 13 Sep 2017, 06:11, edited 1 time in total.
Choose Crews

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post13 Sep 2017, 06:07

The Conservatives forgot to coat F-35 price with maple syrup? Liberally coated with it Liberals get away with anything.
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post13 Sep 2017, 09:54

Reporters are bamboozled that's for sure - now we have NINETEEN in last paragraph - is there no sub editing of worth?
US approves Super Hornet sale ahead of Canadian decision
12 Sep 2017 Valerie Insinna

"WASHINGTON — The Canadian government has yet to reach a final decision on whether to buy F/A-18E/F Super Hornets, but on Sept. 12 the U.S. State Department gave the green light for an eventual purchase of 18 jets....

...Last year, Canadian Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan said buying the 19 Super Hornets was necessary to fill a capability gap caused by some of its CF-18 Hornet fleet soon reaching the end of their service lives. The plan was to start a new fighter competition sometime in 2017 after the release of Canada’s defense policy review, he said."

Source: http://www.defensenews.com/global/the-a ... -decision/
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/

thepointblank

Unread post13 Sep 2017, 12:03

XanderCrews wrote:Can someone explain to this slow American how the conservatives getting the F-35 cost wrong is a scandal but the liberals getting the price of the super hornet wrong to the tune of a quarter billion each is not worth noting? All while foregoing a competition, and issuing gag orders?

Because sunny ways and a smile.

mixelflick

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post13 Sep 2017, 14:12

DUMB QUESTION: Does anyone in the Canadian gov't realize how beyond stupid this looks? Or that it reflects poorly on their country??

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post13 Sep 2017, 14:29

It is obvious that most Canadians don't care & never will, there's the rub -lackadaisical- whilst those who care are gagged.

XanderCrews

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post13 Sep 2017, 15:40

thepointblank wrote:
XanderCrews wrote:Can someone explain to this slow American how the conservatives getting the F-35 cost wrong is a scandal but the liberals getting the price of the super hornet wrong to the tune of a quarter billion each is not worth noting? All while foregoing a competition, and issuing gag orders?

So I should not be looking forward to any cbc documentaries about this "runaway" fighter?
Choose Crews

juretrn

Unread post13 Sep 2017, 16:09

XanderCrews wrote:
thepointblank wrote:

So I should not be looking forward to any cbc documentaries about this "runaway" fighter?

I propose doing an expose documentary on the idiots in the government instead.

steve2267

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post13 Sep 2017, 17:44

So Canaduh is considering purchasing Super Hornets. Price follies aside, wasn't one of Canaduh's "requirements" or "arguments" to keep a one aircraft fleet? As has been noted in these here parts, is not the Super Hornet an almost totally different aircraft from the legacy Hornets (and therefore, the CF-18)? Or can the aircraft maintainers and aircrews seemlessly move from one type to another with no training required? Also, what of parts / parts commonality / logistics?

Lastly, did anyone else notice no AIM-120's were included in the deal? Not even any leftover, hand-me-down 'merican AIM-120A's or AIM-120B's (if they are even still around). I did not realize Canaduh has such a large inventory of AIM-120's. Or maybe the liberal Canaduhian pols think it is unsporting to face shoot a Russian Bear (or cruise missile) coming over the North Pole with a BVR missile. The AESA radars are just to give the pilot's a kewl picture while they close for visual ID before hosing a Bear down with 'winders.
Take an F-16, stir in a little A-7, bake, then sprinkle on a generous helping of F-117. What do you get? An F-35.

SpudmanWP

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post13 Sep 2017, 17:50

You've hit upon the main reason for the "emergency" buy. With the Super Hornets in place, the Canadian Gov can use the "one fleet" argument as a reason to buy the Super Hornet later to replace it's Cf-18s, even after it loses to the F-35 in an "open competition".
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

count_to_10

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post13 Sep 2017, 22:21

steve2267 wrote:
Lastly, did anyone else notice no AIM-120's were included in the deal? Not even any leftover, hand-me-down 'merican AIM-120A's or AIM-120B's (if they are even still around). I did not realize Canaduh has such a large inventory of AIM-120's. Or maybe the liberal Canaduhian pols think it is unsporting to face shoot a Russian Bear (or cruise missile) coming over the North Pole with a BVR missile. The AESA radars are just to give the pilot's a kewl picture while they close for visual ID before hosing a Bear down with 'winders.

I noticed that, too. Any chance they are planning on meteors?
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.

Uncertainty: Learn it, love it, live it.

sunstersun

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post13 Sep 2017, 22:27

count_to_10 wrote:
steve2267 wrote:

I noticed that, too. Any chance they are planning on meteors?

arrow-nautics

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post13 Sep 2017, 23:45

mixelflick wrote:DUMB QUESTION: Does anyone in the Canadian gov't realize how beyond stupid this looks? Or that it reflects poorly on their country??

The majority of Canadians I meet in daily life, online or on the street - when they hear from the CBC or other media the SH is suitable & the F-35 is a disaster they accept it as gospel. These people have likely about a 5% understanding of fighters as does our weakest member here in his 100% envelop of knowledge.

Here's something interesting: http://dsca.mil/major-arms-sales/govern ... ft-support

I'm going to attempt to cost this out. All the minor details like AESA radar and other trinkets included in assessment.
There's an old rule among many in the fighter procurement business: "Too Early to Tell, Too Late to Stop".
PreviousNext

Return to Program and politics