Pressure increases on [Canada] to stay or leave F-35 program

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
  • Author

flighthawk128

Unread post07 Aug 2017, 19:34

ricnunes wrote:Regarding these latest points, last time I checked and if I'm not mistaken the RCAF pilots and the RCAF as whole clearly favours the F-35, or more precisely the F-35A as the best future fighter aircraft for Canada and its future needs.

This is only a matter of a stupid political promise made by an egocentric Prime Minister (Trudeau Jr.) which yes, this one (Canadian PM) believed on all the stupid things ventilated by several bloggers (such as BestfighterforCanada perhaps?) and as an idiot he really believed that the F-35 was far more expensive than the competition.
I'm sure that by now he perfectly knows and understands that the F-35A is not only the best off all the competition but also the cheapest (purchase+sustainment at a medium/long term). Hence why this ridiculous Interim Super Hornet deal the so the called "open and transparent competition". :roll:

Hit the nail on the head my friend. SMH, I've got friends in the RCAF and they've told me that they had internal memos delivered telling people not to talk to the press regarding a CF18 replacement. The gerbil in charge is pretty much just stalling until the next election and then he thinks he can do whatever he likes. Not sure why we're still looking at the damn superbug. What I'd give to get our procurement process overhauled and straightened out... In the time it takes us to do a single assessment (not even an evaluation), Denmark's finished their assessment, competition, evaluation, and selection. :doh:

sunstersun

Dragon029

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post08 Aug 2017, 06:37

Lockheed's officially proposed the F-35A for Canada's "interim" fighter - I wonder if this will stir up more ruckus in parliament?

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/loc ... ghter-jet/

luke_sandoz

Unread post08 Aug 2017, 14:48

And Boeing is still trying to get back in the good books despite stepping in doo-doo.
Attachments
IMG_9846.PNG

ricnunes

Unread post09 Aug 2017, 00:20

Lets see what this "Interim F-35" proposal will end up.

It would be comical to see the F-35 which is the fighter aircraft of the future being considered "interim".
But yeah, if the Canadian government buys the F-35 as an "interim fighter" than the F-35 will become Canada's future fighter aircraft in the "open and transparent competition" that's for sure :D

rheonomic

Unread post09 Aug 2017, 04:40

ricnunes wrote:Lets see what this "Interim F-35" proposal will end up.

It's Canada, they'll find some way to turn it into a charlie foxtrot.
u = (CB)⁻¹(cvdt_des - CAx)

XanderCrews

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post09 Aug 2017, 04:45

rheonomic wrote:

One thing is for certain it will be years running before a single decision is made.

Hard to believe the "reset" happened almost 5 years ago already
Choose Crews

rheonomic

Unread post09 Aug 2017, 04:59

XanderCrews wrote:One thing is for certain it will be years running before a single decision is made.

I think I'll still stand by my earlier prediction that they'll "buy the CF-355C* 30 years later for four times the cost."

* Did I mention Canada? Which starts with a "C"? CANADA!
u = (CB)⁻¹(cvdt_des - CAx)

optimist

Unread post09 Aug 2017, 08:58

Until they have a bipartisan military procurement strategy, because of the timelines exceeding political cycles. Where they agree and only make a bit of political noise around election time, but still proceeding with the joint plan. This is going to be on ongoing problem for Canada. Their procurement history is pretty ordinary.

ricnunes

Unread post09 Aug 2017, 13:58

rheonomic wrote:

Well, even if Canada gets the F-35 as its "interim" fighter aircraft this procurement ("interim" fighter aircraft procurement) is in itself a cluster f**k. :wink:

lamoey

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post09 Aug 2017, 15:32

The National Post article includes this interesting statement, which may explain a lot about the ongoing debacle:

Last year, the Liberals announced a proposal to buy 18 interim fighter jets from Boeing to deal with a capability gap facing the Royal Canadian Air Force. But that multibillion dollar plan to acquire Super Hornet jets has been thrown into limbo after Boeing filed a trade complaint in the U.S. against Bombardier of Quebec.
The Liberal government broke off discussions with Boeing on the Super Hornet deal.

Perhaps Canada saw this coming, and hoped to appease Boing with a small fighter order.
Former Flight Control Technican - We keep'em flying

lbk000

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post09 Aug 2017, 15:38

lamoey wrote:Perhaps Canada saw this coming,

If Canada had any foresight at all they would be flying F-35s already.

arrow-nautics

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post10 Aug 2017, 21:53

luke_sandoz wrote:And Boeing is still trying to get back in the good books despite stepping in doo-doo.

Is Boeing directing this at the Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada a good idea? They've already irked the Liberals over Bombardier. Now here we are with our government neck deep in NAFTA renegotiation.
1twa7r.jpg
There's an old rule among many in the fighter procurement business: "Too Early to Tell, Too Late to Stop".

alloycowboy

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post10 Aug 2017, 23:09

lamoey wrote:The National Post article includes this interesting statement, which may explain a lot about the ongoing debacle:

Last year, the Liberals announced a proposal to buy 18 interim fighter jets from Boeing to deal with a capability gap facing the Royal Canadian Air Force. But that multibillion dollar plan to acquire Super Hornet jets has been thrown into limbo after Boeing filed a trade complaint in the U.S. against Bombardier of Quebec.
The Liberal government broke off discussions with Boeing on the Super Hornet deal.

Perhaps Canada saw this coming, and hoped to appease Boing with a small fighter order.

This isn't really about Canada or Bomardier it is about Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China, Ltd. (Comac) who Boeing and Airbus are trying to keep out of the market for as long as possible.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comac

mixelflick

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post14 Aug 2017, 17:29

I sure hope Canada does the right thing and buys F-35's.

Saw two of their CF-18's at an airshow here in MA yesterday. Tired, tired old birds and rapidly being outclassed by the Flanker series. I actually felt bad for the pilots.. And to think, they'll probably go with this interim Super Hornet deal. My God, we've poisoned the Canuck's with Hornets/SH's...
PreviousNext

Return to Program and politics