Singapore F-35 selection

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
  • Author

marauder2048

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post24 Jul 2020, 01:58

jessmo112 wrote:https://www.defensenews.com/training-sim/2020/07/22/singapore-requests-new-f-35-training-location-also-host-its-f-16-jets/

Based on negotiations with our foreign military sales customers as well as airspace and weather considerations, the Air Force is considering five candidate locations. Those include Buckley AFB, Colorado; Fort Smith Airport, Arkansas; Hulman Field, Indiana; Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas; and Selfridge Air National Guard Base, Michigan,” she added

It seems like Democrats want it both ways. They want to cut the defense budget. But they love to have jets based in there district. I know this are Singapore's planes but Im curious about the economic impact that fighter squadrons have.

Hulman is a weird choice since they lost their F-16s (which terrorized the I-70 corridor) years ago.

Also, subjecting Asians to Terre Haute probably constitutes a hate crime.

weasel1962

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post24 Jul 2020, 02:21

Marauder, you hit it on the nail. Current & Ex-F-16 bases. 149 used to operate F-16s out of Lackland. 188 out of ebbing. 181 out of Hulman. 127 out of Selfridge. Only 140 still operates F-16s from Buckley. That's probably a pre-req.

Normally I would think Tucson but clearly the USAF wants to keep the F-35s from the existing F-16 users who won't be getting F-35s. Singapore is going to shift 428 FS (F-16s) out of luke so it makes sense to be an F-16 (or former) base. At the same time its going to receive F-35s so there's going to be some infrastructure build needed.

Singapore airlines has a flight to houston, not far from San Antonio...but I think they (like the Taiwanese) would prefer a pacific coast base for ease of redeployment.

Racer497

Unread post25 Jul 2020, 21:15

Really? What you do have against Terre Haute? I think it would make perfect sense. After all the lift fans for the B models are made up the road in Indy. Would make sense to have some located within an hour from the engineers. Plus you have Atterbury and Jpg for ranges, red hills MOA and 2 runways that you would more or less control.

Also San Antino Gaurd still flys 16's. They run B course school and have big mouth 30's.
Former Crew Chief 85-1505 181st FW
Now a Fire Truck Mechanic 126th ARW

weasel1962

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post26 Jul 2020, 03:39

Don't think Indiana is that different from Idaho, Arkansas etc.

Noted on 149 still operating F-16s. Thanks. Noted also San Antonio's cooperation with navy (NAS Kingsville) on the use of McMullen complex ranges and how NAS Kingsville is a key training center for navy aviators before USMC pilots transition to B training.

steve2267

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post26 Jul 2020, 15:11

Nahh.... the Singaporean jet jockeys want something different... they want to ski... send 'em to Denver.

USMC already uses Buckley as a stopover for East-West flights across CONUS. I see Viper fourships heading south nearly every day... Great medium sized cosmopolitan area with world class skiing an hour and a half west, with a great international airport for getting in/out. :drool:

Really... I just want Killer Bees (or any LIghtnings) in the neighborhood...
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, dollop of F-117, gob of F-22, dash of F/A-18, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well + bake. Whaddya get? F-35.

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post26 Jul 2020, 15:43

Although the mile high city is a tad cold for the tropical ones perhaps HAWAII is more suitable? Closer to Singapore ALSO?
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

steve2267

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post26 Jul 2020, 16:27

spazsinbad wrote:Although the mile high city is a tad cold for the tropical ones perhaps HAWAII is more suitable? Closer to Singapore ALSO?

It depends...

Average Denver daytime high temperature during winter is 49°F. When it snows in Denver, it generally melts off within a few days. May have a week or two cold "snap" in January or February. It is not uncommon for the diehard golfers to be whacking away in February. But world class skiing is still 1 1/2 to 2 hours west. The Singy jet jockeys will just need to get a travel pod to fit their skiis in the bees. But Shirely the weps bays are long enough for skiis...

Summer time temps range from 80's to 90's with occasionally over 100°F. But it's a dry heat. :roll:

They really really really want to ski. I can tell. No skiing in Hawaii (at least commercial resorts) last I checked.

C'mon, help me out Spaz... I need Bees in Colorado... :doh:
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, dollop of F-117, gob of F-22, dash of F/A-18, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well + bake. Whaddya get? F-35.

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post26 Jul 2020, 22:28

I have arrived in Denver late November in my Hawaiian stopover gear with luggage nowhere to be found. Running from BOQ to classrooms in thick snow drifts from recent snow storm with some cleared paths & roads closed was FUN FUN FUN.
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber
Previous

Return to Program and politics