Australian lawmakers confident in F-35's future

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 24 Jun 2018, 23:49

YOU posted the video...same one I linked to. :bang:

Do I really have to spell it out to a former naval aviator? Really??

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 25 Jun 2018, 00:05

Well I'm asking you to ain't I? The only meaning I can glean is 'low fast flyby port side' and I have given my explanation above. Do I need to say more than that? Now I have asked you to explain and you still have not. Why is this so? There are others here with no experience & not much knowledge of naval aviation, particularly 'stop then land' variety on flat decks.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 25 Jun 2018, 03:00

AAhh the perils of a long ASDL2 slow upload time (15 hours). In the last half hour a chap dug around my power pole where the phone line goes underground checking pole for termites. But he was good - did not disturb the phone line. <sigh> :shock:

This is a direct link to the latest 4.4Gb PDF which is not only about the A4G but NavAv in general from go to whoa and now with the F-35B/C but and also about the F-35 although the collection of info is idiosyncratically mine alone and not perhaps skewed toward any particular interest except the GREAT SOUTHERN LAND and Oz F-35Bs on Oz LHDs! :mrgreen:
23jun2018A4GskyhawkRANFAApp13866.pdf (4.4Gb) (that is 13,866 pages peeples) :doh: :devil:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19fCZP ... mtsyHyLKss

Let me know if you have problems with the PDF. There are known knowns especially if one downloads the PDF first before viewing it with the latest Adobe Reader suitable for your Operating System. Some old embedded videos will NOW only play in any version of ACROBAT itself but no longer in Adobe Reader (exception some old versions of it such as v.11).

IF one allows some stupid program that Goggle uses to view PDFs online to actuate then youse are in for trouble. Best follow my advice. Otherwise more info always available here: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/

Top Right Hand Corner of the first Google screen after clicking link has a download button to push (ignore the entreaties to open this humungous PDF with their shitawful PDF viewers) then you will see GIF graphic for the DownLoad Anyway!
Attachments
23jun2018Cover4-4GbPDFsmall.jpg
GoogleDownloadCaution.gif

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 26 Jun 2018, 01:34

As already stated above a similar definition offered by sundries: "LL port flat-hat flypast, that's all" (without an FAA context) but I'll swear on my whatever that such a thing was not done exception being the photo or an authorized 'SHOP WINDOW' (flying display onboard for local press dunderheads or pollies). The term as originally stated never heard by me.

AN ADDITION to above: "...pretty much forbidden in RN - very rare, need the ship CO's permission, etc etc etc...."
Last edited by spazsinbad on 26 Jun 2018, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 26 Jun 2018, 19:24

This web forum is turning to crap again. Had hard computer restart after everything froze trying to make an entry here.

3 page PDF from current RAAF NEWS attached dated 28 Jun 2018.
1000 Giant Leaps Forward
28 Jun 2018 Wing Commander September Clare

"Our personnel at Luke Air Force Base in Arizona, US, celebrated a capability milestone after Australian F-35A aircraft completed 1000 sorties....

...“We only accepted our latest four aircraft in recent months so the vast majority of those hours have been clocked by A35-001 and A35002.” Australian training operations at LAFB have progressively increased in tempo since acceptance of our first two aircraft in 2014. “Reaching over 1400 operational hours at this stage of the introduction of the F-35A is a testament to the high serviceability of the Australian aircraft,” SQNLDR Myles said....

...Air Force has six F-35A aircraft and expects delivery of four more aircraft in 2018. Australia’s first two F-35A aircraft to be permanently based at RAAF Base Williamtown are on schedule to arrive in December."

Source: https://www.airforce.gov.au/news-and-ev ... ps-forward & via http://images.cdn.realviewdigital.com/r ... 000002.jpg / PDF comes online later
Attachments
RAAF F-35A 1000 Sorties Luke AFB 28 Jun 2018 RAAF News pp3.pdf
(833.13 KiB) Downloaded 640 times

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 11 Jul 2018, 12:34

Why a port side low past was seldom seen in A4Gland was: SAR Helo 'Pedro' Wessex 31B (ASW gear removed) low port side, close for cats & wide for arrests.

The video that was to be attached is .WMV so I should change it eh.... It cannot be on YouTube because of sound track.

Cannot get the file size down with what I have here so .WMV it is - video needs to be under 11Mb here.... Bob Stumpf USN took the video when on exchange with VF-805 1980 for the RIMPAC that year. Bob went on to command Blue Angels in the HORNET era. I have chosen the music for the video.

APOLOGIES. The video eventually remained on YouTube at this OTHER site:

Attachments
WessexPedroPortSideA4Gcatapult1980.jpg

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 11 Jul 2018, 12:58

I miss the 80's.... :wink:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 14 Jul 2018, 09:54

:devil: I miss the '70s. :doh: 2018 Growler Roller RW 03 NAS Nowra with 'J' Hangar on right in background. 'J' Hangar was formerly the JET Hangar in that era with the Kiwis A-4K Kahus last to use it before the 805 Sqdn SeaSprite disaster UhOH.

LIVING IN THE SEVENTIES by SKYHOOKS (famous Oz Band in the 1970s)…. [Killing Joke '80s!' first song]

Attachments
Growler Roller Nowra J Hangar RW 03 CROP.jpg

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 24 Jul 2018, 02:22

NOW slightly old (normal for Oz) artickle 'bout Oz response to last DOT&E report in SIX page PDF attached mit excerpts.
TESTING TIMES
Mar-Apr 2018 ADBR - ANDREW MCLAUGHLIN

The Australian JSF program head puts some local context on the annual US Director of Test & Evaluation (DOT&E) report....

...The report was tabled in November [2017] and covers the period from May 2016 to June 2017....

...The Australian F-35 program head Air Vice-Marshal Leigh Gordon has been keeping a close watching brief on the DOT&E report's findings and the JPO's response to it.

"In reality, we look at the report to confirm what we already know," he told ADBR. "We've got Australians embedded in the operational test team and embedded within the JPO monitoring what occurs there and the status of these things, and they're contributing to the test plans that the Director of Operational Test & Evaluation approves as part of the activity.

"So, we look at the report to say, 'Okay, is there anything new in here that we don't know about?'," he added. "And as with previous DOT&E reports, we're quite comfortable that it captures issues that we know about, their status, and how they're working through those."

Encouragingly, most of the issues raised appear focused on the JSF program rather than on the aircraft's capabilities. Indeed, due to the period the report examines and the roughly six months it takes to compile, some of the issues identified may be as recent as six months, or as old as 18 months.

"Some of it might be 18 months old," AVM Gordon said. "But I also expect that the freshest information could be more recent. For example, the last report made reference to the GAO (US Government Audit Office) report on the supply chain which I think was tabled in the second half of last year. But certainly, it takes a while to process through the system so it's not necessarily current."...

...some of the comments in the DOT&E report actually represent capabilities that we're adding for FOC (full operational capability), not IOC."...

...AVM Gordon agrees affordability remains a work in progress, but adds that Australia is contributing to the search for solutions. "We have contributed to the build-up of a global support system," he said. "Indeed, we've sent some experts in performance-based contracting over to work with the JPO to outline what our latest thinking is about how the system gets into contract and how that performance flows down.

"There is a lot of focus on the cost of ownership of the F-35, and certainly everybody wants to understand it and see it reduced. The current program manager, Admiral Winter, really is attacking the cost of ownership of the F-35 down three fronts - development, production and sustainment, and in each of those they have war rooms that look at the cost and they're targeting particular areas looking to reduce them.

"They've set cost reduction targets for the US Marines and the US Air Force that we're trying to understand how it would apply to us," AVM Gordon added. "One of the things that I've been doing personally, is trying to understand how different it is from a classic Hornet?"

AVM Gordon said the F-35 in many ways is more maintainable than the classic Hornet, and that its systems are also more reliable. "For example, the canopy on an F-35 tilts forward so they can just pull the ejection seat out," he explained. "If you take the ejection seat out of a classic Hornet, you've got to take a canopy off, and when you put it back on you've got to shim it into place and then do pressurisation testing. That's just a simple example of a task being easier."

But the F-35 is a far more complex 'system' than the Hornet, with its advanced communications and sensors, most of which are embedded and integrated into the aircraft, as opposed to be carried in pods like many of the Hornet's systems....

...AVM Gordon also address sovereignty concerns over ALIS which surfaced last year, where Norway had reportedly expressed concern over the security information of its F-35A operations. "All of the partners are putting a gateway in to both protect the system and to control the flow of data across those networks," he said. "I'm looking forward to the joint gateway being provided out of the project, and we're closely monitoring that.

"We're also looking at where we can partner with other nations to leverage off their gateways if they develop an individual one. The cooperative program gateway will maintain configuration with the weapons system as it evolves, and it's important to get that in place. Certainly, we're very keen for that to be squared away by IOC."...

..."If we go to the C2D2 type approach, then some of the capabilities will come earlier," he added. "Our FOC is December 2023 so it's in that ballpark, but there might be some things afterwards and there will be things earlier. Indeed, we might have the discretion to contribute to the mod being developed, and then make a choice when we deploy it in our aircraft. We might have the ability to do that."

In the meantime, the first major task for the RAAF F-35 team when the jets return home in December will be to conduct its own OT&E, more properly known as validation & verification.

"In broad terms, we initially need to verify and validate that we can operate the aircraft in Australia and do all of the things around operating the aircraft locally," AVM Gordon said. "Being able to manipulate it on ALIS, line it up with mission data falls(sic) [files], do all those sorts of things."

After that, the RAAF will run one or two pilot courses locally to test and refine the courseware and structure, before starting local pilot training.

"We'll start looking at how we're going to train the aircrew here," he added. "Air Force will initially conduct a course with students who are quite competent to work through how the system will work, and then they'll do another course which will be more representative of the real course that will be delivered from 2021...."

Source: Australian Defence Business Review Magazine - March/April 2018 Vol.37 No.2
Attachments
TESTING TIMES Oz Take F-35 DOT&E report ADBR March-April 2018 pp6.pdf
(1.5 MiB) Downloaded 569 times

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 24 Jul 2018, 22:19

Combat Cloud Oz Style 3 page PDF attached from ADBR Mar/Apr 2018 better late than NEVA!
Combat Cloud - Next Gen C2
Mar/Apr 2018 Chris McInnes

"...the concept of the combat cloud is about sharing information and resources across a networked force in a manner that allows the information and resources - sensors, "weapons, processors, and deciders - to be optimised for the task at hand.
This is more akin to a combat internet of things than a combat cloud, because a user can control and exploit resources anywhere on the network, not merely access the information available on the network.

Much is made of the F-35A's own and multi-ship fusion capabilities that enhance its ability to locate, identify, and track
targets. This is indeed impressive, but the combat cloud allows this fusion effort to be scaled up exponentially. Instead of the data collected by the F-35A's sensors being processed solely on board, it can also be pooled with information from the E-7A Wedgetail, Hobart-class DDG, [LHD with F-35Bs :roll: ] EA-I8G Growler, MQ-4C Triton, Jindalee Over-the-Horizon-Radar (JORN), and orbital sensors, and then processed in server racks on board a nearby orbiting KC-30A tanker to generate a high-fidelity multi-source track.

The combat cloud concept matters for the ADF because it has the potential to enhance a small force's lethality, survivability, resilience, and efficiency. The combat cloud has the power to enhance the ADF's potency by allowing engagement at greater ranges, using a greater array of weapon systems from potentially unexpected aspects. Physics dictates that an aircraft can only carry a limited number of missiles of a certain size, and that the more missiles the aircraft carries, the larger its signature becomes and the less distance it can travel.

But in a combat cloud, the aircraft is not dependent upon the weapons it carries. Instead, it can call for fires from weapons on any of the platforms available in the network.... [then descriptions - when does the penny drop for FLEET DEFENCE?]

...This fictional combat cloud vignette illustrates why the combat cloud is more than an easily accessible data swamp,
and why it offers such potential for the ADF's realisation of an integrated force. Like its real-world namesake, the combat
cloud presents an outside observer with a seemingly unified and impenetrable mass, with untold latent potential. This
is precisely why Peter Layton felt the combat cloud was "perhaps better named a 'combat thunderstorm', hurling destructive lightning bolts from any part of the cumulonimbus."…"

Source: Australian Defence Business Review Magazine - March/April 2018 Vol.37 No.2
Attachments
OzCombatCloud F-35 ADBR March-April 2018 pp3.pdf
(680.42 KiB) Downloaded 642 times

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 25 Jul 2018, 02:37

Combat Tsunami sweeps away everything before it LOL...
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 15 Aug 2018, 15:43

More ACROnyms than youse can eat for breakfast....
F-35 engineers in top gear for aircraft certification process
10 Jul 2018 Reporter

"Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) Division engineers are working hard in the lead-up to an Airworthiness Board in August to ensure the Australian F-35A JSF is successfully certified before the arrival of the country’s first two aircraft in December.

While industry partners like Lockheed Martin prepare for the arrival of Australia's first two F-35A JSFs, the Air Force and broader Defence establishment has been preparing for the certification processes ahead of the planes arriving in country later this year.

The Defence Aviation Safety Authority (DASA) recently introduced revised terminology and concepts to the ADF aviation environment via Defence Aviation Safety Regulations (DASR). As a result, JSF Division engineers have been working closely with DASA, Air Combat Transition Office (ACTO) and Air Combat Group personnel to align F-35A Airworthiness Board processes and governance activities with the new DASR requirements.

Mission Systems engineers in the JSF Division are also co-ordinating the development of the F-35A Accomplishment Summary, which is a comprehensive document summarising the entire F-35A aviation systems and supporting constructs underpinning ongoing F-35A air operations in Australia.

The F-35 Accomplishment Summary was submitted to DASA in late June, six weeks prior to the F-35A Airworthiness Board, scheduled for 1 August 2018. This Airworthiness Board is an important milestone for the F-35A Project. It will review any aspect of Defence aviation as it applies to the F-35A construct, as well as impose limitations or conditions that may be incorporated in the Military Type Certificate (MTC) or Military Air Operator Certificate (MAOC) being applied for via the Accomplishment Summary.

An MTC is issued by an airworthiness regulator (such as DASA for the ADF, or the Civil Aviation Safety Authority for civil aviation) that signifies the aircraft design (called ‘Type Design’) has been proven to be designed against internationally recognised standards. The authorities will also check regularly that organisations operating aircraft do so in a manner consistent with how the aircraft was designed.

The Military Air Operator – Air Combat Group in the case of the F-35A – applies to DASA for an MAOC to operate the F-35A in Australia. DASA will review Air Combat Group’s application for the MAOC via the Accomplishment Summary and supporting artefacts at the Airworthiness Board on 1 August.

If DASA is satisfied with the system of systems to ensure safe F-35A air operations, the MAOC will be issued."

Source: https://www.defenceconnect.com.au/strik ... on-process

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 15 Aug 2018, 21:41

RAAF Growler dead and buried 15 Aug 2018 TV 7 News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4SkiUlRP7s

by h-bomb » 16 Aug 2018, 07:51

spazsinbad wrote:RAAF Growler dead and buried 15 Aug 2018 TV 7 News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4SkiUlRP7s

Wait $300 mil Aussie is about $218 million USD....... Where did they get that price!? A superbug is about $70 mil USD, and the Growler adds a few million for electronics and wiring. But not $140 million!

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by element1loop » 16 Aug 2018, 08:45

ADF don't provide a per aircraft cost, they provide a program capability cost, for X-number years of operation--everything required included. So higher-quality journos divide program capability cost over time, by airframe numbers, to report it as aircraft price. The sillier the number the better.
Accel + Alt + VLO + DAS + MDF + Radial Distance = LIFE . . . Always choose Stealth

PreviousNext