Australian lawmakers confident in F-35's future

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 23 Mar 2016, 02:38

Underlining on screen is particular ungood: http://editingandwritingservices.com/underlining-bolding-italicizing/
"...Mike Maus with AIRLANT told 10 On Your Side that the USS Eisenhower resumed flight operations Sunday. Maus also provided an update Monday on the conditions of the eight injured sailors... (the Sailors were working on the flight deck when an arresting gear parted during a routine landing of an E-2C Hawkeye aircraft.)" [Try BOLD not UnderLine]
http://wavy.com/2016/03/18/navy-helos-l ... k-general/

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Dragon029 » 23 Mar 2016, 03:27

Lockheed's hearing:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 23 Mar 2016, 03:38

bigjku wrote:Honestly I don't disagree that the program was overly optimistic. Nor that it missed goals. What I worry about is people are taking the wrong lessons as to why that is so. What most of the idiots like to scream about is that forcing the services to work together causes the issue. When I see what things have delayed this I see very few that have a lot to do with having the three variants and a lot that would have happened even if you just built the A model. Hell, I see the same capability delays and program delays in other non-stealth programs. The Eurofigther is still inching towards full capability and a proper modern radar after all. Then they scream about concurrency which also doesn't appear to have really cost much in the end either.

I think the JSF was a program that was overly optimistic and ran into overages and delays and cost issues and technical problems, which makes it like just about every defense/defence program ever. unfortunate yes, but hardly unique. Maus thinking this was ground breaking news, is right up there with man walks on the moon Is there any other ground breaking stories we have to share? like USSR dissolves? Once again talk of Super Hornets, which was already more costly for Aus than the F-35, but anyway call me if they actually do more than talk.

I don't think anyone denies that the original costs and timelines were overly enthusiastic and turned out to be wrong, so why are we going over this yet again?

Its similar to many programs, even the Gripen NG is wildly underwhelming despite the optimistic projections.

Optimism and stupidity are nearly synonymous.

Choose Crews

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by KamenRiderBlade » 23 Mar 2016, 04:35

They really went for those two variants of DigiCamo?

I can barely tell it apart.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Dragon029 » 23 Mar 2016, 15:24

Northrop Grumman, BAE and Defence Materials Technology Centre:

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by cantaz » 23 Mar 2016, 19:22

Am I the only one who find the LM submission underwhelming? They seemed largely unprepared to deal with any questions concerning DOT&E report or concurrency, and those would've been near the top of my prep list. I think even I could've done much better defending the program against those question using purely public sources.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Dragon029 » 24 Mar 2016, 00:27

Australian industry (Marand, Quickstep Holdings Ltd, Heat Treatment Australia):

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 24 Mar 2016, 00:28

I'll wait for the LM/Senate transcript meanwhile here is something for Dnny BACN to chew on (relevant to Oz F-35As also):
Airborne gateway’ provides air-land integration for Jericho Dawn firepower demonstration
21 Mar 2016 australianaviation.com.au

" firepower demonstration conducted at Puckapunyal on Friday as part of the RAAF’s Exercise Jericho Dawn series has successfully validated the use of Northrop Grumman’s ‘airborne gateway’ technology, carried on a Gulfstream II demonstrator aircraft, to allow data to be shared between various ADF platforms including F/A-18F Super Hornets, Tiger ARH helicopters and the Wedgetail AEW&C platform.

The Northrop Grumman-developed airborne gateway technology is based on that used in the US Air Force’s Battlefield Airborne Command Node (BACN) program and allows information to be shared across different otherwise incompatible datalink systems, like the Link 16 datalink used by the Wedegetail and F/A-18F and the Tiger ARH’s Eurogrid.

The firepower demonstration at the Puckapunyal Military Area in central Victoria saw Super Hornets, Tigers, artillery and armour ‘engage’ an adversary force comprising both air defence and armoured assets, a RAAF booklet produced for attendees of the firepower demonstration explains. The adversary threat was identified and tracked by ARH Tigers and AUSLAV armoured vehicles, while a Wedgetail and Giraffe air defence radar provided a correlated air picture. A joint fires and effects coordination cell and JTACs (joint terminal attack controllers) passed targeting information to the Super Hornets, Tigers and artillery, the adversary was engaged by artillery, armour, the Tigers and Super Hornets, and the Tigers provided battle damage assessments.

“The specific objective is to assess the ability for a gateway to effectively translate and relay information between the ARH and other ADF platforms,” the RAAF booklet reads.

“In order to meet these objectives, the demonstration will utilise an airborne gateway provided by the same Northrop Grumman team that provides the USAF BACN solution. The gateway features a custom payload which translates the necessary data formats to ensure interoperability between their respective formats: JTACs (AFATDS), ARHs (Eurogrid) and F/A-18s (Link 16).”..." [MORE AT THE JUMP]

Source: http://australianaviation.com.au/2016/0 ... nstration/

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Dragon029 » 24 Mar 2016, 13:21

Here are the last 3 hearings that I recorded:

Sir Richard Williams Foundation (featuring ex-CAF Air Marshal Brown):

The Australian Strategic Policy Institute:

Dr Keith Joiner (who literally compares Dr Michael Gilmore to god):

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by mor10 » 24 Mar 2016, 19:44

Is that APA diagram, in mostly green and some red, available in the public domain?
Former Flight Control Technican - We keep'em flying

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 24 Mar 2016, 22:57

9.2 Air Power Australia.pdf http://www.aph.gov.au/DocumentStore.ash ... bId=407876 (PDF 3.4Mb)
ZOCT TABLE PDF PAGE Attached + example GIF
Attachments
ZOCT Table 9.2 Air Power Australia.pdf
(217.28 KiB) Downloaded 520 times
ZOCT (Zero-One Comparative Technique) Table APA Jan2016.gif

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 24 Mar 2016, 23:23

Dear Lord, not that crappy "look what I can make up without supporting data" chart again. :doh:

items of note

. You have to love how having a single engine disqualifies you as a 5th gen engine
. The F-35 somehow has a larger IR signature than the Pak-FA and SU-35S which are larger and do not have burried engines
. Where exactly are the F-22's "Additional ESA Apertures"?
. Not having TVC disqualifies you as 5th gen.

etc, etc

:bang:
Last edited by SpudmanWP on 24 Mar 2016, 23:35, edited 2 times in total.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by basher54321 » 24 Mar 2016, 23:25

"Extreme Plus" hey - I'll take 3 :lmao:

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by bigjku » 24 Mar 2016, 23:25

How many points are awarded for actually having these things? Seems like the PAK-FA gets a lot of credit for things it doesn't have and has come nowhere near demonstrating.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by optimist » 25 Mar 2016, 05:28

well I'm convinced, look at all the red stuff. The Shornet and f-35 are rubbish. even the su-35 is better than the f-22..WE'RE DOOMED, DOOMED I SAY.
Europe's fighters been decided. Not a Eurocanard, it's the F-35 (or insert derogatory term) Count the European countries with it.

PreviousNext