Australian lawmakers confident in F-35's future

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 04 May 2013, 21:34

Top-secret Growler warplane bound for RAAF 03 May 2013 Max Blenkin
"MUCH of what the Growler can do remains top secret.

Officially named the Boeing EA-18G Growler, this very advanced variant of the Super Hornet should be gracing the flight line at RAAF bases by the end of the decade.

Under the plan outlined in the new Defence White Paper, the RAAF will acquire 12 new-built Growlers....

...So what's a Growler?

It's an aircraft configured for electronic warfare, though many of its capabilities remain classified.

It can certainly jam hostile radars and communications or even mobile phone systems. It can target enemy radars with homing missiles. It has an unspecified capability for electronic attack, the ability to spoof or even destroy enemy electronic systems.

This is done through a series of high-powered jammer pods carried under the aircraft wings.

The current model, the ALQ-99, dates from the later years of the Vietnam war and has a number of shortcomings, including poor reliability. [Although these pods have been updated constantly since the beginning - reliability issues being addressed]

A new model is under development and will likely be operational around 2020....

...RAAF chief Air Marshal Geoff Brown said it would probably represent the biggest strategic increase in Australian Defence Force (ADF) capability since the arrival of the F-111 strike bomber."

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/breakin ... public_rss

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 04 May 2013, 21:54

A bland defence posture that may be just right for our times 04 May 2013 Daniel Flitton
"Stephen Smith tried to pass the Goldilocks test on Friday when serving up Australia's latest military blueprint. Not too hot, as the 2009 Defence white paper proved, angering China by painting the threat from ''rising powers''. Not too cold, and fuel a shrill campaign by the opposition and defence industry lobbyists that the military is withering under savage budget cuts. He aimed for just right.

This is very much a Smith document. The Defence Minister is cautious by nature, obsessed with detail, reviews and process. In media interviews he delights in what he calls dancing on the head of a pin, conceding nothing beyond the agreed ''lines'' of the day. He is, very much, the unremarkable Mr Smith....

...The strongest complaint to be made about this white paper is it is bland, a bit like porridge. And as Goldilocks would say, that is just right."

http://www.watoday.com.au/comment/a-bla ... 2iyj4.html

Illustration: Jim Pavlidis.

http://images.watoday.com.au/2013/05/03 ... 20x349.jpg
Attachments
SG_729_daniel-620x349.jpg

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by neurotech » 05 May 2013, 20:25

Does anyone take that political satire seriously?

Australia has a respectable combat capability, but if going from ~100 combat jets to 150 was enough to upset the Chinese, then Chinese foreign policy is skewed. Hypothetically, if Australia suddenly ordered 50+ F-15SE jets, even that wouldn't make that much strategic difference compared to 200+ Flankers available to the PLAAF. The USAF F-22s would be a game changer even against China, but they are not RAAF jets.

As I've said before, Kopp and friends are idiots, Because there is no way a successful F-22 refresh could take place if the F-35 program was significantly cut back. The most likely possibility is a new 5.5 Gen design based on successful F-35 class technology, eg. F/A-XX. And once deployed, that would be more a strategic decision for the USAF/USN/DoD not the ADF/RAAF, with regard to Chinese reaction.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 11 May 2013, 21:08

Transcript Of [PM] Remarks At Launch Of 2013 Defence White Paper 03 MAY 2013 Prime Minister, Canberra
"...The White Paper reaffirms the central and enduring importance of our alliance relationship with the United States and the contribution this makes to regional stability and to Australia’s security.

And it commits the Government to deeper defence partnerships in our region including with China, our longstanding partner New Zealand, and with countries such as Indonesia, India, Singapore, Japan, the Republic of Korea and Malaysia.

Second, the White Paper finds that the key capabilities envisaged in 2009 including a more robust maritime force along with a continuing commitment to fifth generation fighter aircraft and a strategic strike capability remain appropriate for Australia.

The Government therefore reaffirms its commitment to the core capability elements of 2009 White Paper including Joint Strike Fighters, new amphibious ships, twelve new future submarines and our Air Warfare Destroyers.

Third, while the Joint Strike Fighter project has suffered cost overruns and delays, the Government remains committed to the JSF as our principal ADF strike capability and confident of its delivery.

We envisage three operational squadrons of the JSF entering service beginning around 2020.

However, to ensure air combat capability through the transition to the Joint Strike Fighter, the Government is announcing today that it will purchase twelve new-build Growler aircraft.

The Growler is the electronic warfare variant of the Super Hornet.

This capability purchase will allow Australia to retain its existing 24 Super Hornets in their current air combat configuration whilst also maintaining 12 Growler aircraft.

The cost of this purchase is estimated at around $1.5 billion over the next four years and will be contained in the forthcoming budget and included in Defence’s four year forward estimates...."

http://www.pm.gov.au/press-office/trans ... hite-paper

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 11 May 2013, 21:29

Defense White Paper: One American's View 09 May 2013 By Michael J. Green
"...I liked the White Paper's emphasis on the Indo-Pacific concept and the focus on protecting the maritime approaches to Australia. This broader framework, in the tradition of naval strategist Alfred Thayer Mahan, is probably more appropriate to Australia's maritime setting than past Labor Party strategic concepts that seemed to rely too heavily on stopping the enemy at the beaches or in the Coral Sea.

The emphasis on preventing hostile powers from using coercion or intimidation in this Indo-Pacific zone is particularly relevant, given that Beijing arguably attempted just that in the East and South China Seas in recent years. This theme in the White Paper will resonate with evolving U.S. thinking and declaratory policy...."

http://csis.org/publication/defense-whi ... icans-view

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 16 May 2013, 10:53

This'll help....
Aust, US sign off on defence trade treaty 16 May 2013
"“It's taken six years for Australia and the United States to seal a treaty to make it easier for local defence companies to acquire advanced US technology. Defence Minister Stephen Smith and US ambassador Jeffrey Bleich on Thursday formally exchanged diplomatic notes bringing the Australia-US Defence Trade Treaty into effect.

Former prime minister John Howard kicked off the process during the visit to Australia of then US president George W Bush in 2007.

"Australia will be only the second country following the UK which has such a trade treaty with the US," Mr Smith told reporters in Canberra. Mr Bleich said the treaty reflected the deep trust between Australia and the US. "This is a very significant action by both of our countries," he said.

The US has traditionally imposed tight controls on export of its defence equipment, particularly advanced technology, even to close allies. Previously, Australian defence companies had to negotiate complex US defence export procedures and apply on every single occasion for approval to collaborate and export.
But under the new regime, companies can obtain a global authorisation.

"It's a very streamlined and much more efficient process and will allow us to work together far more quickly with less red tape," Mr Bleich said. Mr Smith said the length of time it took to get the final agreement was a reflection of the treaty process. "In some respects ... the easiest thing in the world is the general agreement," he said. "We then had to get legislation through the congress and through our own parliament. "It has been well worth the effort.”

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-na ... 2jo9g.html

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 17 May 2013, 02:33

More from the land if Oz.. is it my imagination or has APA gone on Sabbatical?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/ ... 7I20130516
Australia heaps praise on F-35, says rivals years behind

By Rob Taylor CANBERRA | Thu May 16, 2013 2:58am EDT May 16 (Reuters) - Lockheed Martin Corp is well on the way to fixing the F-35s performance and helmet problems, Australian military chiefs said on Thursday, rejecting criticism the troubled jet will be overmatched by newer Russian and Chinese aircraft.

In testimony to parliament on the F-35, for which Australia is one of the largest international buyers with plans for up to 100, Australia's air force chief Air Marshal Geoff Brown said rivals were years behind the Lightning II's development.

Critics of the F-35 have predicted the aircraft, for which many performance data are classified, will be outflown by emerging aircraft like Russia's Sukhoi T-50 PAK FA and China's J-20, as well as existing fighters like the Su-35, citing computer modelling of known abilities.

"Let me tell you, I don't think that they have the level of stealth that's available in U.S. fifth generation aircraft, and it's by a significant factor," Air Marshal Brown told lawmakers.

"Both PAK FA, J-20 and J-31 are possibly where we were in excess of 10-12 years ago in their development time frames, so all those aeroplanes have still got a long, long way to go," Brown said.. :D

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 17 May 2013, 02:45

Article above already posted here:

Can the F-35 match the PAK-FA 16 May 2013

http://www.f-16.net/index.php?name=PNph ... own#252384

Yes this forum is perhaps more confusing since the restructure - I would like to see more sub-sections; but it will take a while for all the current articles in topic groups to be forgotten for the new paradigm to take hold - yeah right. :D

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by KamenRiderBlade » 17 May 2013, 04:57

My big question is the PAK FA, J-20 and J-31 going to have such a complex and amazing integrated Avionics package?

Or are they going to just shove in dials, switchs, and screens like in old fighters and have the pilot manage everything like in legacy jets?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 17 May 2013, 23:25

popcorn wrote:More from the land if Oz.. is it my imagination or has APA gone on Sabbatical?

Probably re-insulating their rooms with tinfoil. twitter:

https://twitter.com/Horde_

https://twitter.com/APA_Editor

Eric palmers blog:

http://elpdefensenews.blogspot.com/

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Conan » 18 May 2013, 03:48

XanderCrews wrote:
popcorn wrote:More from the land if Oz.. is it my imagination or has APA gone on Sabbatical?

Probably re-insulating their rooms with tinfoil. twitter:

https://twitter.com/Horde_

https://twitter.com/APA_Editor

Eric palmers blog:

http://elpdefensenews.blogspot.com/

Ironic that Carlo's twitter photo, is a photo of him taken during his backseat ride in a Block I Super Hornet.

Awfully big grin on his face, after he got to ride in the "Super slow Hornet" or whatever nonsense they are calling it these days...

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by neurotech » 18 May 2013, 06:31

Conan wrote:Ironic that Carlo's twitter photo, is a photo of him taken during his backseat ride in a Block I Super Hornet.

Awfully big grin on his face, after he got to ride in the "Super slow Hornet" or whatever nonsense they are calling it these days...

Too funny. Compared to what most pilots get to fly in their career, I'd take the Super Hornet any day of the week and twice on Sundays. I can't believe what a d**k Carlo became, considering he got to fly the actual jet. Most of the rides the Blue Angels etc. give to media, they don't normally get to actually fly the jet. I'm 99.999% sure the USAF never let him fly a F-22.

I remember when the Boeing test pilots demoed the jet again for the RAAF a few years later, and everyone was saying it had poor range, and would never replace the F-111, then the RAAF ordered the jets. :) Even in the early days, flying LRIP jets, the crews I was around liked them, and were quite reliable and easy to maintain. Considering 12 Growlers are being ordered, I don't think they are too disappointed with their choice.

Maybe if the Swedes give Carlo a ride in a Gripen D trainer, he'll start pushing for Gripen Es with Shuttle External Tanks for Australia...

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 18 May 2013, 08:33

neurotech wrote:
Maybe if the Swedes give Carlo a ride in a Gripen D trainer, he'll start pushing for Gripen Es.

For a while at least. :lol:

Yeah the pic of him in the back of that hornet is like an ugly guy with a hot prostitute-- to people not in the know its impressive, for those in the know its pathetic.

:lol:

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by hb_pencil » 18 May 2013, 13:55

neurotech wrote:
Conan wrote:Ironic that Carlo's twitter photo, is a photo of him taken during his backseat ride in a Block I Super Hornet.

Too funny. Compared to what most pilots get to fly in their career, I'd take the Super Hornet any day of the week and twice on Sundays. I can't believe what a d**k Carlo became, considering he got to fly the actual jet. Most of the rides the Blue Angels etc. give to media, they don't normally get to actually fly the jet. I'm 99.999% sure the USAF never let him fly a F-22.

I remember when the Boeing test pilots demoed the jet again for the RAAF a few years later, and everyone was saying it had poor range, and would never replace the F-111, then the RAAF ordered the jets. :) Even in the early days, flying LRIP jets, the crews I was around liked them, and were quite reliable and easy to maintain. Considering 12 Growlers are being ordered, I don't think they are too disappointed with their choice.

Maybe if the Swedes give Carlo a ride in a Gripen D trainer, he'll start pushing for Gripen Es with Shuttle External Tanks for Australia...

Neuro. I can see you don't get it. Its called Integrity, and Kopp must have it in spades.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by gtx » 18 May 2013, 21:06

Sadly there are a lot of people around Amberley (the old RAAF F-111 home - current Super Hornet home) who love CK since he promoted the F-111 so much...

PreviousNext