Australia delays delivery of 12 F-35 fighters

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 12 Apr 2014, 01:17

Australia Likely To Order More F-35s 07 Apr 2014 Bradley Perrett

"Australia is likely to commit to buying 58 more Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightnings this month, setting aside the alternative of consolidating its combat aircraft squadrons on the Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet. The decision will increase the country's total commitment to 72 F-35s and expand the Royal Australian Air Force's fast-jet fleet, counting a separate order for 12 EA-18G Growler electronic attack aircraft as additional to, not part of, the fighter force renewal....

...Canberra has already ordered two F-35s and committed itself to another 12, though the latter are not under contract. “In the near future” the government will consider a defense department recommendation that it authorize an order for another 58, making for a total of 72, say the [ASPI] institute's analysts Andrew Davies and Harry White. According to the source, the cabinet will decide the issue around mid-month, though delays in government decision-making are always possible....

...The analysis does not consider the great boost to the air force's capabilities that will come when 12 Growlers become operational in 2018. The Growlers could be regarded as part of the combat-aircraft renewal effort, bolstering the case for trimming the F-35 order, but the air force has argued that they are support aircraft and therefore separate. In effect, it hopes the Growlers will increase its fleet....

...“But in the strike-fighter role, the F-35 is a far more capable aircraft than the Super Hornet and would give greater capability against a more capable adversary, including the ability to penetrate sophisticated air defenses,” says the think-tank. The F-35 would also be more resistant to obsolescence. Moreover, backing out of the order would be harmful to Australia's alliance with the U.S. and would take away business opportunities for Australian companies participating in the program.

Among the Australian suppliers to the F-35 program, engineering company Marand is building tail fins. The company delivered its first ship set on March 31. BAE Systems Australia, also involved in making the tail, said on April 1 it had commissioned a machine tool for making long spars and longerons. Composite-parts maker Quickstep has delivered more than 200 high-grade carbon-fiber components and is ramping up production with its out-of-autoclave process.

The think-tank's analysis assumes a unit cost for the F-35 of $90 million in 2019, lower than the Joint Strike Fighter program office's forecast of $97 million because the program's estimates have been trending down. Another 50% can be assumed for other acquisition costs, such as support equipment, and running costs over two decades of twice the acquisition cost, the think tank says. That implies that Australia will spend almost $10 billion to buy 72 aircraft, including the two already on order, and the April decision for 58 will be worth a little more than $8 billion. Operating the 72 aircraft until around 2040 should cost about $20 billion and then more after that.

The air force has probably only set aside, not given up, its ultimate aim for about 100 F-35s. By 2030, the Super Hornets will be 20 years old, an age that could justify retirement and replacement by F-35s. Twelve of the Super Hornets are wired for EA-18G configuration, so they could be kept and mixed into the Growler force to share airframe wear and tear and extend the life of the electronic attack capability; equipment could be moved between airframes during overhauls, as well. RAAF officers have suggested that the small Growler fleet could rely on U.S. Navy support, minimizing the expense of operating it alongside the main fleet of F-35s."

SOURCE: http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.asp ... 676627.xml

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 12 Apr 2014, 06:10

Not a good day for the naysayers, witness the gnashing of teeth in the comments section. :D
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by gtx » 12 Apr 2014, 20:03

The air force has probably only set aside, not given up, its ultimate aim for about 100 F-35s.

The 100 aircraft requirement hasn't changed. The next 58 are definitely happening - safe money bet! The third tranche (if you like to call it that) will be looked at around the mid 2020s.
Last edited by gtx on 12 Apr 2014, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by gtx » 12 Apr 2014, 20:06

popcorn wrote:Not a good day for the naysayers, witness the gnashing of teeth in the comments section. :D

Indeed - how surprising (NOT!!!) to see it led by the whack job Eric Palmer. The guy must be foaming at the mouth. Pity he censors any post that disagrees with his own warped sense of reality on his blog. Otherwise I would be having a field day tearing him to pieces.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 12 Apr 2014, 21:49

gtx wrote:
popcorn wrote:Not a good day for the naysayers, witness the gnashing of teeth in the comments section. :D

Indeed - how surprising (NOT!!!) to see it led by the whack job Eric Palmer. The guy must be foaming at the mouth. Pity he censors any post that disagrees with his own warped sense of reality on his blog. Otherwise I would be having a field day tearing him to pieces.

LOL oh man

Whoever "scarletPin1" is though he brought him up short LOL. Thanks for reminding me to read those comments all, Their tears are my fuel. :devil:

It sure is fun to see the F-111 still being brought up... how long has it been now since they were buried? Remember kids nothing good ever came from the compromises of a joint concept... but the F-111 is awesome. :doh:

How long do we think the belly aching will go on even when the writing is on the wall?
Choose Crews

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 12 Apr 2014, 22:09

Someone mention 'writing on the wall'? There is a classic 'jump the shark' moment with overtones of the 'Godwin's Law' [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law ] "...While falling afoul of Godwin's law tends to cause the individual making the comparison to lose his argument or credibility..." shenanigans with this spray: http://elpdefensenews.blogspot.com.au/2 ... -f-35.html

Words they live by: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-HYWBS0VgZio/U ... einF35.jpg

It is all over and they are just shouting.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by gtx » 12 Apr 2014, 22:15

I'm surprised someone hasn't taken Ol' Eric to court over some of the comments/accusations he has made - surely he is treading close to slander with some of his posts.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by gtx » 12 Apr 2014, 22:30

XanderCrews wrote:Whoever "scarletPin1" is though he brought him up short LOL.

Glad to see someone is taking it to him.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 13 Apr 2014, 01:08

spazsinbad wrote:Someone mention 'writing on the wall'? There is a classic 'jump the shark' moment with overtones of the 'Godwin's Law' [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law ] "...While falling afoul of Godwin's law tends to cause the individual making the comparison to lose his argument or credibility..." shenanigans with this spray: http://elpdefensenews.blogspot.com.au/2 ... -f-35.html

Words they live by: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-HYWBS0VgZio/U ... einF35.jpg

It is all over and they are just shouting.

Oh boy :roll:

you know who else censored dissent, refused to see the historical writing on the wall ,and liked to quote Mein Kampf there Eric?

Its a good thing these guys have no authority over anything.
Choose Crews

by newmanfrigan » 13 Apr 2014, 04:09

gtx wrote:I'm surprised someone hasn't taken Ol' Eric to court over some of the comments/accusations he has made - surely he is treading close to slander with some of his posts.

True, but he is also irrelevant. Maybe not in his own mind, but even so.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 13 Apr 2014, 17:41

newmanfrigan wrote:
gtx wrote:I'm surprised someone hasn't taken Ol' Eric to court over some of the comments/accusations he has made - surely he is treading close to slander with some of his posts.

True, but he is also irrelevant. Maybe not in his own mind, but even so.

It would give him a credibility he doesn't warrant. Not that he hasn't said incredibly, unbelievably stupid and ignorant lies. It would also allow them to hoist the "silencing the truth" victim of gov. oppression flag. he is guilty but not worth it.

Its far easier to just make fun of them, and let time run its course, laughing all the way :D
Choose Crews

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by gtx » 22 Apr 2014, 19:06

Federal Government to announce purchase of 72 stealth fighter jets for RAAF
APRIL 23, 2014

THE Abbott Government will purchase 72 advanced American-built stealth fighter jets to spearhead the nation’s defence for the next half century.

The $12.4 billion through-life outlay, to be announced in Canberra today by the Prime Minsiter, is the biggest defence purchase in Australian history and includes every aspect of the system from hangars to missiles.
The so-called “fifth generation” F-35 Lightning Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) planes will be deployed in three operational squadrons and a training squadron based at RAAF Williamtown near Newcastle in NSW and RAAF Tindal near Katherine in the Northern Territory.

About $1.6 billion will be spent on new facilities at the air force bases.

The Lockheed Martin-built JSF is the most expensive and controversial aircraft ever constructed and the US military is due to purchase more than 2500 of the jets. The project is running years behind schedule and each jet is likely to cost more than $100 million “fly-away”.

More than a dozen other countries, including the UK, Canada, the Netherlands, Singapore, South Korea and Israel, will take the total number of F-35s in service to more than 3000 worldwide. The government has already ordered 14 planes and another 58 will be added, taking the total to 72 with the option of another 24 further down the track. They will enter service from 2018 and will serve alongside 24 Super Hornet fighters already in service with the RAAF.

The jets will replace the RAAF’s fleet of ageing F/A-18 Classic Hornet fighters that will retire by 2022.

Tony Abbott said the F-35 was the most advanced fighter in production anywhere in the world and would make a vital contribution to Australia’s national security. "Together with the Super Hornet and Growler electronic warfare aircraft, the F-35 aircraft will ensure Australia maintains a regional air combat edge. The F-35 will provide a major boost to the ADF’s intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance capabilities,” he said.

“The acquisition of F-35 aircraft will bring significant economic benefits to Australia, including regional areas and local defence industry.”

Defence Minister David Johnston said that because of the Howard Government’s decision to join during the development phase, Australian defence industry has been awarded over $355 million worth of JSF work.
“It stands to win well in excess of $1.5 billion in JSF-related production and support work over the life of the program creating long-term advanced manufacturing and engineering jobs,” Senator Johnston said.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 22 Apr 2014, 20:05

gtx wrote:
Federal Government to announce purchase of 72 stealth fighter jets for RAAF
APRIL 23, 2014 12:01AM

THE Abbott Government will purchase 72 advanced American-built stealth fighter jets to spearhead the nation’s defence for the next half century.
[...]

If I didn't have to work tonight I would sit home and just hit up every site on the net for this reaction:

But alas it will have to wait. I'm sure EPL and co will handle it well, and barely quote Hitler.
Choose Crews

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by southernphantom » 22 Apr 2014, 22:35

Nice one...
I think we all saw this one coming. I, for one, didn't mind. Once it became clear that the F-35 was the platform of choice (I'm a little frustrated with the RoKAF procurement, but I digress), I stopped worrying. It generally works, mostly as advertised, and above all, they're new, zero-time airframes!!!! Knowing the issues the Corps has had keeping its 'Classic' Hornets airworthy (barely, in some cases), and the cost of the RAAF center-barrel replacements, I think that that is the biggest takeaway. It's an improvement, and the RAAF really expanded its capability portfolio with acquisition of the Super Bugs and Growlers.
I'm a mining engineer. How the hell did I wind up here?

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by gtx » 23 Apr 2014, 19:27

Yep, little old Eric has posted all sort of crap over on his blog re the decision…claiming the RAAF will get less capability with the F-35s than the existing F/A-18As... :doh:

PreviousNext