Overview of F-35 test flights

Production milestones, roll-outs, test flights, service introduction and other milestones.
  • Author

f-22lm

Unread post12 Dec 2012, 21:49

spazsinbad wrote:UhOh, another 'millstone' flight! :D Good on 'em I say...

Photo: F-35B achieves milestone flight 12 Dec 2012

http://www.navair.navy.mil/index.cfm?fu ... ry&id=5216

"NAVAL AIR SYSTEMS COMMAND, PATUXENT RIVER, Md. – Marine Corps test pilot Maj. C. R. Clift flies BF-1 on a short take off and vertical landing mode mission, Dec. 7. The flight marked the 1000th developmental test flight for the F-35B Lightning II in the program’s system development and demonstration phase...."

That is it: BIG PIC: http://www.navair.navy.mil/img/uploads/ ... lights.jpg
That's proof that the f-35 will do its ship trial again ;)

orkss

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post13 Dec 2012, 20:13

F-35 Lightning II Program Status and Fast Facts December 11, 2012

http://f-35.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/F-35-Fast-Facts-December-11-2012.pdf

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post13 Dec 2012, 22:45

Thanks 'orkss'. Some items not otherwise noted elsewhere wot caught me eye:

"On November 3, CF-2 flew an HMD Jitter FTR mission completing first pilot evaluation.

On November 14, during setup for a 45,000 ft test point, AF-4 flew to 50,000 ft, the design altitude limit. This is the first time F-35 has flown to 50K.

On November 30, BF-1 accomplished the longest duration F-35 hover at 10 minutes. [OMG] :D

On December 3, BF-1 accomplished its 200th vertical landing at PAX and completed maximum weight hover, vertical landing and 90 degree translation on December 6.

On December 6, BF-4 flew the first STOVL mode night ops, including night hover." Brilliant! OOPs I see some of this is repeated on the 'Program Dox' thread with the PDF at: http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewtopi ... t-135.html stroll down.
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

munny

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post19 Dec 2012, 00:28

Can someone tell me what a 90 degree translation would be?

neptune

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post19 Dec 2012, 03:03

munny wrote:Can someone tell me what a 90 degree translation would be?

I have never flown a Harrier but would anticipate that the 90 degree translation would be a 90 degree turn "in hover" while landing or positioning the a/c. Any other 90 degree maneuver would be a bit much for my "unbraced" stomach. :wink: :lol:

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post19 Dec 2012, 03:20

Early F-35B hover videos show the aircraft turning in the hover. Perhaps the term is a helo one where it refers to a vertical takeoff and transition to normal flight going forward. Just my guess though. Vertical takeoffs were going to be tested but they are not part of the F-35B operational requirements.
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

Raptor_claw

Unread post19 Dec 2012, 04:07

Translation generally means to move or change direction without turning. In this case it would mean a direct "sideways" movement of the air vehicle.
A 90 degree translation would imply direct movement 90 degrees off the axis in which the nose is pointing. In other words, he's sitting there in a hover with the nose pointing due north. He then "moves" the a/c due east (or west), while the nose continues to point north. In this case, you can assume that there was no accompanying forward (northerly) motion...

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post19 Dec 2012, 04:19

'Raptor_claw' if you watch the F-35Bs landing aboard USS Wasp you will see them doing exactly what you describe, with the nose probably pointing into the wind, which is likely straight down the deck. From pilot comments the F-35B can do amazing flying feats when in STOVL mode - it can fly backwards remember?

Just to clarify in words: the F-35B comes to a hover adjacent to the landing spot but over the water. Then the aircraft hovers sideways with nose still pointing into the wind to be over the vertical landing spot. Then the F-35B will slowly descend onto the landing spot.

If you watch a helicopter take off vertically it may well then point the nose down slightly gathering forward speed, but not descending, to then fly away at speed. This is how I envisage what the F-35B has done in a recent test - perhaps.

F-35B 1st Landing on USS WASP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7cAmCCmObw

"Uploaded on Oct 3, 2011
F-35B test aircraft completes its first landing aboard USS Wasp."

munny

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post19 Dec 2012, 07:17

This is why I asked. I've seen plenty of videos of it turning more than 90 degrees in hover and sliding sideways to land, so you would have to exclude those if this is something new and noteworthy. I know one of the test pilots mentioned they will be performing transitions from hover to forward flight as test points and was wondering if this was it.

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post19 Dec 2012, 07:33

'munny' said: "...I know one of the test pilots mentioned they will be performing transitions from hover to forward flight as test points and was wondering if this was it." IF you can point to where this comment was made that would be very helpful. IF your recollection is accurate then I think you have the answer.

munny

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post19 Dec 2012, 13:23

Will see how I go on a pc. It was a YouTube flick of a pilot interview from mud last year. He said while VTOL isn't a requirement, testing it is. He said its low priority and they'll be going out to the ship (wasp) layer in the year

quicksilver

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post19 Dec 2012, 13:42

Raptor_claw wrote:
Translation generally means to move or change direction without turning. In this case it would mean a direct "sideways" movement of the air vehicle.
A 90 degree translation would imply direct movement 90 degrees off the axis in which the nose is pointing. In other words, he's sitting there in a hover with the nose pointing due north. He then "moves" the a/c due east (or west), while the nose continues to point north. In this case, you can assume that there was no accompanying forward (northerly) motion...

Raptor is correct. And, as others have pointed out, it wouldn't be the first time it has done so given it's trip to the ship over a year ago. Given that it was connected to a performance hover (ie max weight), it was likely demonstrating the control margins that are part of the analytic VLBB calculation.

munny

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post19 Dec 2012, 15:13

Some of my details were wrong (lots of beers since May last year), but the gist of it was right....

http://bit.ly/V6C0t8

"Pilots at Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Md have flown about 125 sorties with many of those dedicated to getting the aircraft ready for shipboard tests. Kelly notes that they are in good position to begin those ship tests this fall. The F-35B will also eventually be required to perform vertical takeoffs, but for now, the STOVL trials have been deemed more important. The Marine Corps Leaders are optimistic about the performance of the aircraft as well. The F-35B is said to offer performance very much like that of the F/A-18."

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post19 Dec 2012, 16:49

So a '90 degree vertical translation' is no big deal and just part of the 200th such maneuver for that aircraft (amongst other things such as a max. weight hover). And thanks 'munny' for finding the vertical takeoff quote. I wonder what weight is a max. weight hover? How long is a piece of string?

BTW similar 'vertical takeoff testing' & 'FnA-18 like performance' quote here:

F-35 Tests Proceed, Revealing F/A-18-Like Performance 16 May 2011 Dave Majumdar

http://www.defensenews.com/article/2011 ... erformance

"...Eventually, the F-35B will perform vertical takeoffs, but that testing has yet to be performed because other STOVL trials are of more immediate import, Kelly said.

"There is a requirement for that and we do plan on performing vertical takeoffs," he said...."

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post20 Dec 2012, 12:16

Avcorp Industries touts first successful flights of F-35 'carrier variant' Dec 20, 2012 (AIRLINE INDUSTRY INFORMATION via COMTEX)

http://www.individual.com/storyrss.php? ... a20f96c646

"...This programme has already seen all three aircraft variants complete over 2,000 flights and over 16,000 test points, the company said."
PreviousNext

Return to F-35 milestones