First Marine Corps Squadron Deploys to Japan

Production milestones, roll-outs, test flights, service introduction and other milestones.
Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 24 Jan 2017, 22:17

"So the slow landing part of the routine training?" Yep. Routine. Typically, initial landing is the flight lead's choice. If there is enough JP to beat up the pattern after that, whatever kind of landing one wants to do.

"How often do they practice vertical landing?" If one is so-qualified, anytime one wants, assuming the fuel and appropriate spot. If one is an fng, a qualified LSS is needed (someone to observe, and correct if necessary -- in a vehicle w/ a radio, or one's flight lead if he or she is qualified to monitor un-qualed newbs).

by aw2007 » 24 Jan 2017, 23:10

quicksilver wrote:"So the slow landing part of the routine training?" Yep. Routine. Typically, initial landing is the flight lead's choice. If there is enough JP to beat up the pattern after that, whatever kind of landing one wants to do.

"How often do they practice vertical landing?" If one is so-qualified, anytime one wants, assuming the fuel and appropriate spot. If one is an fng, a qualified LSS is needed (someone to observe, and correct if necessary -- in a vehicle w/ a radio, or one's flight lead if he or she is qualified to monitor un-qualed newbs).

Thanks for the informative insights, Quicksilver. I think I've come across on this forum sometime ago that you have/had experience as a Harrier pilot ?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 28 Jan 2017, 20:45

US Marines F-35B"s Welcoming Ceremony at MCAS Iwakuni, Japan

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by jessmo111 » 29 Jan 2017, 00:10

Im not going to lie. When landing at dusk, and in mode 4 or what ever for stovl, this is one sexy jet.

https://youtu.be/TROf_atMVEo

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by jessmo111 » 29 Jan 2017, 00:16

What block are these again? Do we have internal Ameaams yet? I would exspect any action in the pacific to involve anti-shipping attacks, and counter air.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by mrbuno » 29 Jan 2017, 01:01

jessmo111 wrote:What block are these again? Do we have internal Ameaams yet? I would exspect any action in the pacific to involve anti-shipping attacks, and counter air.

VMFA-121 has F-35Bs from Lot 7 and Lot 8, which means they came with Block 3i software.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 02 Feb 2017, 20:59

Marines Want to Cut Back on USAF Refuelings During Long Hauls
—BRIAN EVERSTINE2/2/2017
The Marine Corps is looking to change tanker plans for long-distance F-35B sorties after a recent flight to Japan required too ​many refuelings, the head of Marine aviation said. In early January, the Marine Corps permanently deployed a squadron of F-35Bs to MCAS Iwakuni, marking a major milestone for the program (the first F-35s to be based overseas.) Four Air Force KC-10 Extenders helped the strike fighters make the long trip across the Pacific. The F-35s followed Air Force plans, which included flying through Alaska and not using drop fuel pods for the long distance flight. This, along with extended flight with the F-35Bs’ refueling probe exposed, meant the jets needed multiple refuelings, said Lt. Gen. Jon Davis, the deputy commandant for aviation for the Marine Corps. Davis said the total number of refuelings was about double what he thought was needed. Going forward, the Marine Corps wants to work with USAF to update their plans and procedures for refueling to try to decrease the number of refuelings necessary, Davis said. A similar issue arose last summer when the Marine Corps sent an F-35B to Europe for the Royal International Air Tattoo in England.

The deployment to Iwakuni has been a success so far, with aircraft currently at a mission capable rate of 70 to 80 percent, Davis said. Six more F-35Bs are expected to arrive at Iwakuni this summer.

http://www.airforcemag.com/DRArchive/Pa ... Hauls.aspx
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 02 Feb 2017, 21:25

Thanks 'SWP' interesting story indeed - especially this: QUE?
"...not using drop fuel pods for the long distance flight..."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 02 Feb 2017, 21:30

I think that's the author interjecting something that was not stated by the source.

Here is the other thing that I think was misqoted.

This, along with extended flight with the F-35Bs’ refueling probe exposed, meant the jets needed multiple refuelings, said Lt. Gen. Jon Davis,

The author makes it sound as if the F-35B flew with its fuel probe extended for the whole flight.

by vanshilar » 02 Feb 2017, 21:36

SpudmanWP wrote:
The author makes it sound as if the F-35B flew with its fuel probe extended for the whole flight.

Dunno, I find it plausible if they want to make sure that there won't be any problems with retracting/extending the probe for a subsequent refueling if the nearest divert landing strip is too far away. Unless the probe itself has limits on speed etc. when extended, I don't think its drag would really affect the range much though.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 02 Feb 2017, 22:35

Interesting detail about probe if correct but who knows eh. Do they keep their wheels down just in case?

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by steve2267 » 02 Feb 2017, 22:38

spazsinbad wrote:Interesting detail about probe if correct but who knows eh. Do they keep their wheels down just in case?

No, wheels up. But they flew in STOVL mode the whole way in case they had to land :crazypilot: on a short road... you know... in case the engine quit or something... :poke:
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, dollop of F-117, gob of F-22, dash of F/A-18, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well + bake. Whaddya get? F-35.

by bojack_horseman » 02 Feb 2017, 22:49

steve2267 wrote:they flew in STOVL mode the whole way in case they had to land on a short road... you know... in case the engine quit or something.

Really?
Does that mean the lift fan lid was open on this trip across an ocean?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 02 Feb 2017, 22:53

spazsinbad wrote:Thanks 'SWP' interesting story indeed - especially this: QUE?
"...not using drop fuel pods for the long distance flight..."

Well the pic in the AirForce Magazine link shows a clean jet so that would appear go be the case.
Any ideas what the proposed changes in the refueling process will be?
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 02 Feb 2017, 23:43

No clue but I assume it has something to do with the need to have enough fuel at any point to reach a divert airfield.

That way if there is a problem with the refueler then the F-35B can reach an airfield on what fuel it still has.

On a related note.. How did the Harriers get to Japan?

PreviousNext