First Israeli F-35i rollout

Production milestones, roll-outs, test flights, service introduction and other milestones.
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 22 Jun 2016, 20:20

Lockheed Martin and Israel Celebrate Rollout of Israel’s First F-35 ‘Adir’
22 Jun 2016 LM PR

"Israeli and U.S. government leaders joined Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT) to celebrate the rollout of the first Israeli Air Force F-35A Lightning II, marking a major production milestone for the future of Israel’s national defense.

“Israel is proud to be the first country in the area to receive and operate it,” said Avigdor Liberman, Israel’s Minister of Defense. “The F-35 is the best aircraft in the world and the choice of all our military leadership at its highest level. It is clear and obvious to us and to the entire region that the new F-35, the Adir, will create real deterrence and enhance our capabilities for a long time.”

Brig. Gen. Tal Kelman, IAF Chief of Staff said, “As a pilot who has flown more than 30 years in a great variety of aircraft, I had the privilege of flying the F-35 simulator in Fort Worth and it was like holding the future in my hands. The unique combination of split[cutting]-edge technology, lethality and the amazing man-machine interface will lead the world to the fifth generation."...

...Israel’s F-35, called Adir – which means “Mighty One” in Hebrew – will be a significant addition to maintaining Israel’s qualitative military edge in the Middle East region, with its advanced capability to defeat emerging threats, including advanced missiles and heavily-defended airspace. The F-35 combines advanced low observable stealth technology with fighter speed and agility, fully fused sensor information, network-enabled operations and advanced sustainment support.

Israel’s program of record is 33 F-35A Conventional Take Off and Landing, or CTOL, aircraft, acquired through the U.S. government’s Foreign Military Sales (FMS) program. Israel’s contribution to the F-35 program includes Israel Aerospace Industries F-35A wing production; Elbit Systems Ltd. work on the Generation III helmet-mounted display system, which all
F-35 pilots fleet-wide will wear; and Elbit Systems-Cyclone F-35 center fuselage composite components production...."

Source: https://www.f35.com/news/detail/lockhee ... -f-35-adir

by yeswepromise » 23 Jun 2016, 01:43

One of the least exciting looking ones thus far.
Even the BKs have more going on.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 23 Jun 2016, 21:46

Israel’s First F-35 Ceremonially Rolled Out
22 Jun 2016 Chris Pocock

"... last April Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) said that it was producing a C4I system specific to the F-35I. It would use generic communications infrastructure based on the latest software-defined radios, and be fully embedded into the aircraft’s integrated avionics system. It would provide “advanced processing capabilities with relative independence of the aircraft manufacturer,” IAI continued. It was part of a wider drive to help the Israeli Air Force (IAF) “rapidly field networked applications that interface with core services over proprietary protocols,” the company added.

The system will effectively enable the Israeli Air Force (IAF) to self-integrate indigenous weapons systems such as the Derby and Python AAMs; Spice precision-guided bombs; and Litening targeting pod. Israel has also negotiated exemption from centralized F-35 MRO arrangements specified by the Joint Program Office (JPO), according to remarks reported last April of IAF chief of staff Bg. Gen. Tal Kelman.

According to Lockheed Martin (LM) chairman, president and CEO Marillyn Hewson, Israel will be “the first country outside the U.S. to fully operate” the stealth fighter when it takes delivery of its first jet in December. The Israeli air force is due to receive 33 F-35 conventional takeoff and landing versions. They will be based at Nevatim airbase in the Negev desert...."

Source: http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/ ... rolled-out

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by jessmo111 » 24 Jun 2016, 10:53

spazsinbad wrote:
Israel’s First F-35 Ceremonially Rolled Out
22 Jun 2016 Chris Pocock

"... last April Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) said that it was producing a C4I system specific to the F-35I. It would use generic communications infrastructure based on the latest software-defined radios, and be fully embedded into the aircraft’s integrated avionics system. It would provide “advanced processing capabilities with relative independence of the aircraft manufacturer,” IAI continued. It was part of a wider drive to help the Israeli Air Force (IAF) “rapidly field networked applications that interface with core services over proprietary protocols,” the company added.

The system will effectively enable the Israeli Air Force (IAF) to self-integrate indigenous weapons systems such as the Derby and Python AAMs; Spice precision-guided bombs; and Litening targeting pod. Israel has also negotiated exemption from centralized F-35 MRO arrangements specified by the Joint Program Office (JPO), according to remarks reported last April of IAF chief of staff Bg. Gen. Tal Kelman.

According to Lockheed Martin (LM) chairman, president and CEO Marillyn Hewson, Israel will be “the first country outside the U.S. to fully operate” the stealth fighter when it takes delivery of its first jet in December. The Israeli air force is due to receive 33 F-35 conventional takeoff and landing versions. They will be based at Nevatim airbase in the Negev desert...."

Source: http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/ ... rolled-out

Why are they putting a Lightening Targeting pod on the plane? why start adding federated PODS, to an already effective sensor fused weapons system?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 25 Jun 2016, 03:25

They are not putting the LTP on the F-35 ({sigh} another victim of no fact checking).

What they are talking about is an Israeli-made EOTS replacement (ie the same size/swapable) and other EW gear (maybe external). NOt much information has been said about it.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by bring_it_on » 25 Jun 2016, 03:57

With EOTS NG just months away from flight testing it would be cost-prohibitive for them to design something to integrate internally for their own consumption. Most partners and FMS customers are more likely to go with the current and future EOTS, if for nothing else, because it comes integrated already. Perhaps if they partner up with NG like the L4, they could hope to jump in when the program switches over to OMS. That may be there long term strategy to win over some business in a market that Lockheed is pretty set to dominate in the F-35 program.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 25 Jun 2016, 22:31

???? They have been flight testing EOTS for YEARS, even before the 1st F-35 took flight.

The point of an EOTS drop-in replacement is competition which drives lower prices and better features.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by bring_it_on » 26 Jun 2016, 13:23

SpudmanWP wrote:???? They have been flight testing EOTS for YEARS, even before the 1st F-35 took flight.

The point of an EOTS drop-in replacement is competition which drives lower prices and better features.

I was referring to the upgraded EOTS (Advanced).

https://fightersweep.com/4587/lockheed- ... ing-tests/

That was what I was getting to as well. If they can create something that fits the LRU, in the long run they could market it themselves or through their partnership with Northrop Grumman. In the end, everyone wins since there is competition to the EOTS-Advanced that Lockheed is developing for Block 4 and beyond.

by tmofarrvl » 16 Jul 2016, 19:21

Article on the tail design for Israeli F-35s:
http://m.iaf.org.il/2392-46855-en/IAF.aspx

Confirms that the color palette was very limited for stealth reasons.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Dragon029 » 18 Jul 2016, 16:19

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... uy-427486/

Israel further assesses F-35B buy

Israel's potential acquisition of the short take-off and vertical landing B-model of Lockheed Martin's Joint Strike Fighter, to complement its ordered fleet of F-35As, has gained further momentum following a recent strategic assessment.

by fang » 26 Jul 2016, 16:03

AS-1 (IAF 901) up in the air
Attachments
IAF F-35i 901 FF.jpg
F-35i 901 FF.jpg

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 28 Jul 2016, 06:42

The “Adir” Maiden Test Flight
27 Jul 2016 Zohar Boneh | Translation: Ohad Zeltzer Zubida

"Yesterday, the "Adir" (F-35I) performed its first test flight in a "Lockheed Martin" facility. The flight that was conducted in order to make sure the jet is fit for flight, is a part of the delivery process of the jet to the IAF and is a significant step in the stealth fighter journey to Israel. "With the ‘Adir' jets, even the sky isn't the limit."

The "Adir" (F-35I) stealth fighter is expected to arrive in Israel on December 12 this year. Yesterday, its first test flight was conducted, already flying the Israeli Air Force Roundel. The flight, which was conducted about a month after the rollout ceremony in which the jet was displayed to the public for the first time, is a significant step in its journey to Israel....

...Since the Israeli government decision was made in September 2010, IAF personnel have been working around the clock in preparation for the arrival of the stealth fighters, preparations that are now at their peak: the aircrew members are currently undergoing conversion training and learning about the aircraft, the technical crews have been in maintenance conversion training since April and the rest of the personnel are working in full swing in order to build the required infrastructure in Israel. Additionally, the unique squadron building and the simulator center are in advanced stages of construction.

"There is no doubt that the F-35 will become an integral part of our defense", added Brig. Gen. Kelman. "It will allow us to better ensure the safety of our citizens against our hostile neighbors and against the complex threats which may escalate at a moment's notice"."

PHOTO: http://alert5.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/F-35I.jpg

Source: http://www.iaf.org.il/4449-46878-en/IAF.aspx
Attachments
FirstIsraeliF-35Aflight26Jul2016.jpg

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by jessmo111 » 28 Jul 2016, 10:39

Ok why are the panels green neon colored in this pic, but you almost cant see them in other pics?

Is the green neon the stealth seal on the panel? did the other pics NOT have full stealth coating or something?

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Dragon029 » 28 Jul 2016, 11:02

Green = composite without the stealth coatings, just primer.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by nutshell » 29 Jul 2016, 05:05

I'm truly curious about the upcoming israeli's mods for the F35.

They did a great job and customizing the F15...i wanna know what they'll come up with.

PreviousNext