F-35C DT-II TESTING CVN

Production milestones, roll-outs, test flights, service introduction and other milestones.
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 20 Sep 2015, 17:13

Because this F-35 Forum Sub Section does state 'test flights' (not just 'milestone test flights') my thot is to continue but with a new thread about F-35C DT-II due to start next month. So here is the beginning.....
2015 STRIKE TEST NEWS
2015 VX-23 LCDR Daniel “Tonto” Kitts

"...F-35C Carrier Suitability (continued)
The Pax River ITF team is now in heavy preparation for F-35C DT-II. Shore-based catapults and arrested landings are prerequisites for DT-II and modification to the jet that incorporated the hardware for the GEN III helmet HMD is undergoing “Shake, Rattle, and Roll” tests. Additionally, the team is conducting a structural survey with [intentional] mis-serviced landing gear on the aircraft.

The goal of DT-II will be to complete the Aircraft Launch and Recovery Bulletins. Additional at-sea tests include afterburner catapult shots, DFP performance with a 4-degree glideslope, completion of catapult minimum energy shots, and night arrested landings. The completion of all of the DT-II objectives and the shore-based mis-serviced landing gear tests will clear the envelope for operational users to conduct day and night carrier qualifications.

The pace of testing will remain high as the F-35C Carrier Suit team prepares for the final developmental test at-sea period (DT-III) in 2016 and for USN IOC. In the meantime, various loadings of external stores will require a significant amount of shore-based catapults and arrested landings at Patuxent River and Lakehurst."

Source: http://issuu.com/nawcad_pao/docs/striketest2015_single (PDF 3.6Mb)

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 23 Sep 2015, 03:11

Gettin' in the mood 21 Jul 2015 ZOOMed
F-35C Arrest Test https://www.flickr.com/photos/lockheedm ... ateposted/
CF-5 during arrestment testing at NAS Patuxent River. July 21, 2015
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lockheedm ... 4/sizes/o/ Original 1.3Mb JPG
Attachments
CF-35CarrestTestPaxJul2015zoom.jpg

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 23 Sep 2015, 23:03

Part of the original post from here by 'tritonprime' repeated below: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14115&p=303439&hilit=round#p303439
U.S. Navy's F-35 test to include new helmet, full weapons load
23 Sep 2015 Andrea Shalal

"The U.S. Navy's next round of carrier testing of the Lockheed Martin Corp F-35C stealth fighter jet will include new helmets and jets fully loaded with internal weapons, a company official told Reuters.

During the tests, scheduled for the first two weeks of October, two F-35s will also test the Joint Precision Approach and Landing System (JPALS), an all-weather, GPS-guided landing system being designed by Raytheon Co, Lockheed's F-35 program manager, Lorraine Martin, said in an interview....

...She said the U.S. government is providing information about the aircraft to other countries, identified by sources familiar with the program as Singapore, Belgium, Switzerland, Poland, Finland and Spain.... [Any F-35Bs?]

...The U.S. Navy, which carried out the first round of at-sea testing on the USS Nimitz last November, plans to have an initial squadron of jets ready for combat by late 2018 or early 2019.

Martin said the jets' performance during the first round of carrier testing had helped build confidence in the program.

This time, one Lockheed and three government pilots will be using the jet's improved Generation-3 helmet, which is already being used for testing on land. They will fly with a full store of internal weapons and full fuel tanks to test the jet's performance at higher weights. There are no plans to fire the weapons, officials said.

U.S. defense officials said the tests would also include catapult takeoffs with after-burner power,[I'm not sure if I heard correctly OR LM F-35C test pilot said during brief at TAILHOOK 2015 that the pilot lights the after burner after the first night catapult 'because he got scared' (or words to that effect). Perhaps he was just joking.] more night approaches and landings, engine runs for maintainers and other parameters aimed at creating conditions that are more similar to combat.

They said the tests would not include a portable version of the F-35's complex, computer-based logistics system, with the data required to be relayed via communications links instead."

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/ ... 7F20150923

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 25 Sep 2015, 01:56

For the LOLs - Arsey F-35Bs on CVeNs VIDEO - remember clench when Laffing....

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 25 Sep 2015, 03:11

HAHAHA.. made my morning..n
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 25 Sep 2015, 03:18

This is how difficult it used to be - back in early 1950s - aboard HMAS Sydney for example (remember these just baduns). Then along came all the 'amazing' (even today) tech that enabled 124 traps out of 124 attempts hook down for F-35C test.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by jessmo111 » 25 Sep 2015, 05:49

Spaz regarding the scared comment. Is it natural to err on the side of caution, in a unfamiliar jet, in a night enviorment?
Do most guys, just kick in AV to be safe either way? Im sure the plane can cat launch without it.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 25 Sep 2015, 06:09

I think I have said what I think earlier. However to elaborate and bear in mind we can only guess on the extremely limited one liner tossed aside probably as a joke but with some truth in it nevertheless. Keep in mind AS THE LM TEST PILOT SAYs:
"...No Moon, Overcast, Rain, 1,100 foot ceiling..."

It is likely that all the test pilots involved in CVN F-35C testing have carried out NIGHT catapults ashore - however again I can only guess. Seems to me to be prudent to have at least that one chap having done so for the likelihood - as demoed. And he did it twice. Given any misgivings for whatever reason: W/X; HMDS & 1st Time these chaps went ahead confidently.

There is nothing blacker than a low cloud base without any apparent moonlight below with the CVN most likely not providing any glow once ahead of said ship during catapulting. These circumstances - ALONG WITH THE KNOWN ISSUES WITH HMDS II - make DISORIENTATION - no matter how slight - a real possibility. And again I stress - I'm ONLY GUESSing.

IF the burner was not briefed for the first night catapult test then the test pilot took initiative to light it for whatever reason. You can read in the other thread where I thought perhaps this was the delayed full burner during/after catapult function kicking in (again that can only have ever been a guess).

Reporters or someone with the knowledge about that particular first night F-35C catapult shot will have to make the facts known. Personally I see it neither here nor there. A first of anything on a black night catapult will likely 'feel' a lot better and 'look' a lot better with the full burner lighting up. On a thread or two I have outlined my own severe disorientation one black night during catapulting an A4G with even more G force for extra disorientation effect than that of the F-35C longer catapult stroke. But again that is really neither here nor there in the great scheme of things. It is a known issue - disorientation - and one does what is necessary to alleviate same safely and get on with it. Seems like that happened and it is just a jokey comment. Navy Pilots are prone to jokes. Did you hear him say at the beginning "I'm from LM and I'm here to help"?
Attachments

F-35Ctest1stNightCatapultLowQ.mp4 [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 52519 times ]

Last edited by spazsinbad on 25 Sep 2015, 06:30, edited 2 times in total.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by jessmo111 » 25 Sep 2015, 06:20

Here is to hoping the final version of the helmet does alot to alleviate, disorientation. Seeing as how the thing is SUPPOSED to turn night into day, and allow you to do the wiz bang, Star trek see through the plane thing.
When there is an Class-A mishap ( and god forbid knock on wood) I feel sorry for the poor guy watching the ocean get closer through the airframe.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 25 Sep 2015, 06:39

As I predict one can doom and gloom all one wishes however we know already that HMDS III is going to the CVN for the next round of testing next month October 2015. This would not be happening if there was an HMDS problem. And ANY PILOT can become disorientation for a zillion reasons - even in daytime. This has been mentioned on the other threads about this topic (search on 'disorientation' for example). And as has been made clear by 'quicksilver' the pilots are NOT looking through the floor during flat deck ops (although they may catch a glimpse for a VL at the beginning height). And we know that the F-35B/C test pilots are looking at these issues from their latest newsletter VX-23 Strike Test News 2015.

Here is the link: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=16223&p=302954&hilit=Strike#p302954
2015 STRIKE TEST NEWS
2015 VX-23 Maj John “Ike” Dirk

"...Mission Systems
The F-35 ITF tests four SDD aircraft fully equipped with production-representative mission systems. Aircraft modifications are ongoing to continue testing on Block 3i and 3F capabilities including the GEN III HMD.

The GEN III HMD features improved stability, more accurate bore sighting, and improved night performance. In place of traditional Night Vision Goggles, the helmet-mounted night vision camera aids night operations for the F-35. The GEN III HMD also features a higher resolution camera than previous HMDs. This new system enables the electronic removal of the aircraft canopy bow from the scene by using a new fixed camera installed within the aircraft. Aided aerial refueling, simulated expeditionary airfield operations, and shipboard operations with the GEN III HMD are ongoing and are demonstrating promising results for acuity, clarity, and stability...."

Source: http://issuu.com/nawcad_pao/docs/striketest2015_single (PDF 3.6Mb)

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 25 Sep 2015, 09:22

F-35C Completes First Night Flight Aboard Aircraft Carrier viewtopic.php?f=57&t=26634&p=281607&hilit=Dyckman#p281607
14 Nov 2014 Commander Naval Air Forces, Public Affairs

"...Navy test pilot Lt. Cmdr. Ted "Dutch" Dyckman piloted F-35C test aircraft CF-03 for the inaugural night flight, taking off from USS Nimitz (CVN 68). At 6:01 p.m. Dyckman conducted a series of planned touch and goes before making an arrested landing at 6:40 pm...."

Source: http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=84456

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 25 Sep 2015, 21:02

jessmo111 wrote:Here is to hoping the final version of the helmet does alot to alleviate, disorientation. Seeing as how the thing is SUPPOSED to turn night into day, and allow you to do the wiz bang, Star trek see through the plane thing.
When there is an Class-A mishap ( and god forbid knock on wood) I feel sorry for the poor guy watching the ocean get closer through the airframe.

Disorientation happens with current NVG and of course the naked eye, but we don't mention that because only the F-35 has issues
Choose Crews

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 26 Sep 2015, 01:10

Here are the 40 pages of the PDF of Strike Test News Sep 2015 attached: http://issuu.com/nawcad_pao/docs/striketest2015_single
Attachments
StrikeTestNewsSep2015pp40.pdf
(3.48 MiB) Downloaded 6338 times

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 29 Sep 2015, 09:10

Navy to test F-35C Lighting II aboard the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower
28 Sep 2015 Todd Corillo

"...The second developmental test phase of the F-35C Lightning II aircraft will begin aboard the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower on Monday, October 5, 2015.

Two F-35Cs are scheduled to conduct the training on the Eisenhower through October 15.

According to Naval Air Force Atlantic, the testing will include day and night carrier qualifications, night operations with the Generation III Helmet Mounted Display, Delta Flight Path testing as well as F-35 Joint Precision Approach and Landing System testing...."

Source: http://wtkr.com/2015/09/28/navy-to-test ... isenhower/

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by KamenRiderBlade » 03 Oct 2015, 18:56

Next