F-35 arrival begins new era at USAFWS

Production milestones, roll-outs, test flights, service introduction and other milestones.
  • Author

smsgtmac

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post28 Jan 2015, 05:22

F16VIPER wrote:The F-35 is very ugly, odd looking plane unfortunately and please do not come to tall me that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am purely talking aesthetics here....

Sorry, this has bugged me ever since I read it, as it has to be the most internally inconsistent consecutive sentences ever banged on a keyboard and posted here. I'm hoping you just let your temerity overrun your logic.
'Aesthetics' involves judgement, which involves the matter of taste, and taste IS in 'the eye of the beholder'. Perhaps the F-35 design may be viewed by someone as outside the 'normative', but down through history yesterday's 'radical outlier' often became the next 'normative',
Superficial NY Times art critic's navel-gazing non-withstanding, Louis Sullivan's assertions still ring true to me:
"Whether it be the sweeping eagle in his flight, or the open apple-blossom, the toiling work-horse, the blithe swan, the branching oak, the winding stream at its base, the drifting clouds, over all the coursing sun, form ever follows function, and this is the law. Where function does not change, form does not change. The granite rocks, the ever-brooding hills, remain for ages; the lightning lives, comes into shape, and dies, in a twinkling.
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things superhuman, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, that form ever follows function. This is the law."

It's been my experience that when someone says something is 'ugly' all to often they just do not understand some truth about its function. One can not like the looks of something as a matter of taste, but one can't rationally claim one's tastes superior over another.
Mea Culpa: This perhaps would not have bugged me so much if I had not gone to see the latest Kimbell exhibit before it closed this past weekend. Those artists' work faced quite a bit of rejection when they first appeared too.
--The ultimate weapon is the mind of man.

XanderCrews

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post28 Jan 2015, 11:08

Pretty and weapon systems has a lot more to do with our comfort level and getting used to something that looks different. A-10s are ugly, Apaches are ugly, hueys are ugly, F-4s are ugly, and they are an american icon, etc. No one cares. it can actually become a calling card and point of pride.
Choose Crews

F16VIPER

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post28 Jan 2015, 12:10

XanderCrews and smsgtmac, accept the honours, and typo (tall, tell).

I was perhaps, more than anything else, pre-emptying the use of the cliche expression "in the eye of the beholder" that usually comes up when discussing the subject . I am sure many, many books have been published over the years on this subject and the debate will never end.

There is a point when the designer "does something" to the object, like tweaking the design, and turns it from something ugly or mundane into something beautiful or out of the ordinary, and it happens without necessarily affecting the main functionality of what is being designed. Sophisticated design, consciously or subconsciously generally has three layers of meaning that can be comprehended by different groups of people, say people in the know (aerospace design circles),educated people and the masses. All this is based on the principals of semiotics that designers use to various degrees depending on the circumstances.

You can see the result of this approach in the Mirages, the Rafale, the F-15, F-16 and many other fighter planes. I can assure you I would not be a military aviation fanatic if fighter planes were not be beautiful objects to look at. The A-10 is ugly but beautiful in its own right because of its proportions and roundness.

The F-35 bugs me from the design point of view because of its fat fuselage with short wings and tailplane roots hanging up in the air, and all the fairings in various places. Is it really a heresy to even mention the Lightning II is ugly as hell. Come on, even Harry Hillaker was shocked when he stood next to the F-16I and saw all the "stuff" that had been added to the Viper including CFTs, big RWR antenna fairings, ECM protrusions etc. I love the Sufa but it is ugly as hell too. I believe I read that a USAF general said the X-32 (monica) would never be selected as the winner because it was so ugly, and commanders said they would never fly the F-15 painted in the air superiority baby blue colour.

Enough, I posted a note encouraged by the comments from a previous poster about the lack of symmetry of the design.
I will stop now.

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post28 Jan 2015, 12:41

Here is a view that the LSOs will never tire of looking at - from their view/vantage point.

A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post28 Jan 2015, 23:48

ENGINEERS are HARSH today on the OLD 1958 UK Lightning: http://digitaledition.theengineer.co.uk ... les/1.html
Attachments
LightningUKaestheticCommentENGINEERjan1958.gif
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

thomonkey

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post29 Jan 2015, 04:12

I feel that the f35 is one of the best looking planes out there. It's so sleak. I really don't get how people can say it looks ugly. I mean, if you want to see an ugly modern plane look no further than the eurofighter typhoon. Big dorito in the sky.

Anybody know how they determine if the f35 is gonna be that grey or the darker black? Seems like there are two different colors for the f35s.

popcorn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post29 Jan 2015, 05:25

spazsinbad wrote:ENGINEERS are HARSH today on the OLD 1958 UK Lightning: http://digitaledition.theengineer.co.uk ... les/1.html

Personally, I like the retro look :) muscle cars of the jet age.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post30 Jan 2015, 22:52

This is how the critics see that 'horse designed by a committee' - the Bee - get aboard an LHA/CVF/LHD:

http://i2.wp.com/news.usni.org/wp-conte ... omfort.png
Attachments
CartoonCamelCarrierCriticsSeeF-35BsLHAs.gif

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post30 Jan 2015, 23:02

:devil: Test Pilots eh? Critics see them as lying bastards all - how about this cream puff ICE Cream test pilot - what a job! :mrgreen: AND... Could HE LIE?! :doh:
The Ice Cream Barge
30 Jan 2015 US Naval Institute Staff

“With the ban on alcohol aboard ships in 1914, the US Navy sought to offset the loss of alcohol at sea and found that ice cream was popular among the sailors. It was so popular that the Navy borrowed a refrigerated concrete barge from the Army Transportation Corps in 1945 to serve as a floating ice cream parlor. At a cost of $1 million, the barge was towed around the Pacific to provide ice cream to ships smaller than a destroyer that lacked ice cream making facilities. The Navy proudly announced that the vessel could manufacture 10 gallons of ice cream every seven minutes and had storage capacity of 2000 gallons.”

http://i2.wp.com/news.usni.org/wp-conte ... -cream.jpg

Source: http://news.usni.org/2015/01/30/unique-ships-u-s-navy
Attachments
Unique-ships-ice-cream TEST PILOT.gif

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post20 Feb 2015, 10:37

Anotherie: http://www.nellis.af.mil/shared/media/p ... 63-007.JPG (LARGE 1Mb)
Cropped below....
Weapons School fleet grows with arrival of second F-35
19 Feb 2015 Senior Airman Thomas Spangler 99th Air Base Wing Public Affairs

"2/19/2015 - NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nev. -- The second F-35 Lightning II assigned to the U.S. Air Force Weapons School arrived here Feb. 18, 2015.

This will be an addition to the first F-35 for the Weapons School which arrived on Jan. 15, 2015....

...The arriving aircraft was piloted by U.S. Air Force Warfare Center commander, Maj. Gen. Jay Silveria...."

Source: http://www.nellis.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123439623
Attachments
2ndF-35AnellisWeaponsSchool18feb2015zoom.jpg

f35phixer

Unread post20 Feb 2015, 23:32

F16VIPER wrote:The F-35 is very ugly, odd looking plane unfortunately and please do not come to tall me that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am purely talking aesthetics here. Seems that there is no main designer here and probably the result of design by committee.

I look this jet head on every day and it has the BEST head on look.... She's not ugly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Because Head on it was counts in this new world of aviation, don't forget that.

cantaz

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post21 Feb 2015, 00:20

f35phixer wrote:I look this jet head on every day and it has the BEST head on look.... She's not ugly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Probably not held together by cotter pins and lockwire either.

thomonkey

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post21 Feb 2015, 09:19

f35phixer wrote:
F16VIPER wrote:The F-35 is very ugly, odd looking plane unfortunately and please do not come to tall me that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am purely talking aesthetics here. Seems that there is no main designer here and probably the result of design by committee.

I look this jet head on every day and it has the BEST head on look.... She's not ugly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Because Head on it was counts in this new world of aviation, don't forget that.

My desktop is a head on shot. stunning!

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post21 Feb 2015, 16:29

First F-35A For US Weapons School
March 2015 Air Forces Monthly Mag'n

"LOCKHEED MARTIN F-35A Lightning II 12-5049 ‘WA’/‘16 WPS’ (AF-60) is the latest addition to the US Air Force Weapons School (USAFWS) at Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada. The aircraft arrived at the base on January 15 direct from the factory in Fort Worth, Texas, becoming the first of the type with the school’s 16th Weapons Squadron ‘Tomahawks’, working in conjunction with the US Air Force Warfare Center and 422nd Test and Evaluation Squadron. Col Adrian Spain, USAFWS commandant, said the Weapons School’s first F-35 will be used for approximately a year to drive tactics development. The immediate goal is to create the curriculum for the first F-35 course. The first and subsequent USAFWS-assigned F-35s will operate at first under the umbrella of the 16th Weapons Squadron, the school’s F-16 squadron, said Lt Col David Epperson, 16th WPS commander. A second F-35A for the unit, 12-5051 ‘WA’/‘USAFWS’ (AF-62), also began flight-testing at Fort Worth in January. The first F-35A USAFWS student course is tentatively scheduled for January 2018."

Source: March 2015 Air Forces Monthly Magazine
Previous

Return to F-35 milestones