F-35 arrival begins new era at USAFWS

Production milestones, roll-outs, test flights, service introduction and other milestones.
  • Author

blindpilot

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post17 Jan 2015, 22:52

KamenRiderBlade wrote:Wasn't the B-2 Air Speed Sensor built into it's body in a different way than the Pitot tube?

I believe so but we may wish to note how that has worked out -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Ander ... 2_accident

Also I'm not sure but there may be considerations for sub/super-sonic and incidence type issues in moving from B-2 type to fighters.

BP

(2008 = B-2 RUD)

KamenRiderBlade

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post18 Jan 2015, 06:12

blindpilot wrote:
KamenRiderBlade wrote:Wasn't the B-2 Air Speed Sensor built into it's body in a different way than the Pitot tube?

Also I'm not sure but there may be considerations for sub/super-sonic and incidence type issues in moving from B-2 type to fighters.

BP

(2008 = B-2 RUD)

Good Point, if water can get into the flush skin sensors, then a Pitot tube sounds far more reliable, especially with it's covers

thebigfish

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post27 Jan 2015, 02:21

I assume that the "caution hot" is because it is heated (elect?) to prevent icing?

gtg947h

Unread post27 Jan 2015, 03:06

thebigfish wrote:I assume that the "caution hot" is because it is heated (elect?) to prevent icing?

Precisely. You don't want to grab one that's on--a friend discovered that the hard way.

smsgtmac

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post27 Jan 2015, 03:28

blindpilot wrote:

BP

(2008 = B-2 RUD)

The air data problem that crashed the B-2 at Guam was due to a known operating factor that had been recognized earlier at Whiteman. A procedure had been developed where the moisture would be cooked out as a checklist item in pre-flight, but the procedure hadn't been formalized or distributed yet, and no one on the Guam deployment knew about it. After it happened I corresponded with a friend of mine who had been an AF Maintenance Officer on the B-2 during flight test. He found it ironic that there was a very similar problem and remedy for the B-52s at Barksdale when he was working the Buffs.
The use of a semi-conventional pitot tube may be a high speed aero thing, but I note here that it also appears to be an LM design 'thang'. If you've ever seen the probes on the front of the F-117, they are a work of art. My guess is, it is also due as much to LM's engineering philosophy and lower unit cost (much simpler ADS overall - and much simpler to test if the X-47B system is any guide) along with high speed aero. It is an interesting question.
--The ultimate weapon is the mind of man.

smsgtmac

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post27 Jan 2015, 03:30

gtg947h wrote:
thebigfish wrote:I assume that the "caution hot" is because it is heated (elect?) to prevent icing?

Precisely. You don't want to grab one that's on--a friend discovered that the hard way.

And from personal experience it is a PITA to dig melted part protection devices out of them if they are made out of formed plastic.
--The ultimate weapon is the mind of man.

KamenRiderBlade

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post27 Jan 2015, 05:17

smsgtmac wrote:
gtg947h wrote:

And from personal experience it is a PITA to dig melted part protection devices out of them if they are made out of formed plastic.

Can you cook eggs on a hot pitot tube?

I agree the F-117 pitot tubes were beautiful in it's diamond shape, I just disliked the fact that they were asymmetric.

I'm a big fan of symmetry on planes and in general design.

Ergo my gripes with the F-35 having only 1 cooling intake and 1 hump for a gun. The F-35 should've had matching humps and cooling intakes.

The lack of symmetry hurts my soul. =D

F16VIPER

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post27 Jan 2015, 09:53

The F-35 is very ugly, odd looking plane unfortunately and please do not come to tall me that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am purely talking aesthetics here. Seems that there is no main designer here and probably the result of design by committee.

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post27 Jan 2015, 10:39

Who the freck cares? Most pilots want their aircraft to be the best available - how it looks? What? Let us make sure it works and is good to go - the rest is just bulldust.
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

popcorn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post27 Jan 2015, 10:44

Lest we forget... what might have been.
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-01-27-17-38-46.jpg
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

F16VIPER

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post27 Jan 2015, 10:57

Some people have no idea. You can look at at plane from various points of view including aesthetics.
Harry Hillaker the designer of the F-16 did care about the external shape of his plane because that was what was important to him, and look at what he produced, one of the most beautiful and successful planes ever designed.

As a designer I know what I am talking about and I do not expect the rest to understand. That is my story and I am sticking to it. Over and out.

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post27 Jan 2015, 10:59

Well good for you. Whatever does the best job is what any pilot is after - the look? Bleh. You will get over it.
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

F16VIPER

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post27 Jan 2015, 12:33

Somehow you seem to think I give a ratt's a$$ about what you think or say and insist on commenting with your narrow minded tunnel vision on everything I post.

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post27 Jan 2015, 14:26

F16VIPER wrote:Some people have no idea. You can look at at plane from various points of view including aesthetics.
Harry Hillaker the designer of the F-16 did care about the external shape of his plane because that was what was important to him, and look at what he produced, one of the most beautiful and successful planes ever designed.

As a designer I know what I am talking about and I do not expect the rest to understand. That is my story and I am sticking to it. Over and out.

I'll take an effective aircraft over a pretty one. "Looks cool for the fanboys" should not be a line item on any proposal.
"There I was. . ."

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post27 Jan 2015, 15:53

'F16VIPER' now that you mention it.
PreviousNext

Return to F-35 milestones