Milestone PLANK Owner First F-35C Arrest NIMITZ 03 Nov 2014

Production milestones, roll-outs, test flights, service introduction and other milestones.
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 18 Nov 2014, 09:22

Trumpets and Fanfare.... TaDah....
"...Sewell became the first person to perform an F -35C catapult launch aboard an aircraft carrier Nov. 4, 2014...."

Pioneering A New Frontier: The Men Behind The F-35C
17 Nov 2014 MC3(SW/AW) Aiyana S. Paschal

BIOs of the two plank owner pilots.... with a foto of the fabfour below.... 'BRICK' Wilson is the shortest 3rd from left. Sewell is first [EDIT - as indicated later probably SECOND on left - why the names could not be with the photo is beyond me - I'm not NCIS]. :devil:

Source: http://nimitznews.wordpress.com/2014/11 ... the-f-35c/

Original Large CLASSIC Photo: https://nimitznews.files.wordpress.com/ ... 625_31.jpg (2.2Mb)
Attachments
4testPilotsNIMITZ 14p00568_01.jpg
2testF-35CsBreak 14p00625_31.jpg
Last edited by spazsinbad on 18 Nov 2014, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 18 Nov 2014, 10:29

Spaz, does your PC display resolution allow you to make out the names on the flight suits of the other 2 guys?
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 18 Nov 2014, 10:40

Resolution not good enough for 'names'. If you know the names then likely in the first 100 F-35 pilots you will see their photo.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 18 Nov 2014, 12:36

Sewell is the tallest. On the far left is Elliot 'Hemo' Clemence.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by mk82 » 18 Nov 2014, 12:49

quicksilver wrote:"F-35C Completes Initial Sea Trials aboard Aircraft Carrier

SAN DIEGO (NNS) -- The F-35C Lightning II carrier variant Joint Strike Fighter completed its first phase of developmental test (DT) aboard an aircraft carrier Nov. 14, three days ahead of schedule aboard USS Nimitz (CVN 68)..."

"The aircraft demonstrated exceptional performance throughout its initial sea trails, accelerating the team's progress through the DT-I schedule and enabling them to conduct night operations - a milestone typically achieved during the second at-sea phase of developmental tests, as evidenced by the test schedules of the F/A-18 Hornet and F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet."

"We had such confidence in how the plane is flying that we lowered the weather minimums to what the fleet is actually using, knowing that when I lower my hook and come into the groove I'm going to trap," said Lt. Cmdr. Ted Dyckman, Navy test pilot. "That says a lot for the airplane. So, when it came time for night traps, we said the plane is ready and we launched it. It flew very well behind the ship. Even on the darkest night - pretty much as dark as you can get behind the boat. Two hook-down passes and two traps and that says it all right there. It's unheard of to conduct night ops on the first det."

"The engineers responsible for the aircraft's control laws at Pax (Patuxent) River and Fort Worth have done a phenomenal job designing a carefree aircraft from the pilot's perspective," said Cmdr. Tony Wilson, DT I Team Lead. "The F-35C's performance on the ball was revolutionary, providing carefree handling on approach. The Integrated Direct Lift Control (IDLC) allows ball control like no other aircraft. The control schemes of the F-35C provide a tool for the below average ball flyer to compete for top hook. And, Delta Flight Path is an innovative leap in aircraft flight controls - this command enables the F-35 to capture and maintain a glideslope, greatly reducing pilot workload, increasing safety margins during carrier approaches and reducing touchdown dispersion."

"Successful carrier landings of the F-35C also point to an effective re-design of the once-troubled tailhook. Initial testing shore-based testing pointed toward tailhook design issues and the Atlantic Test Range (ATR) at NAS Patuxent River captured critical measurement data with their precision photogrammetric technology and modeling capabilities. The re-design collaboration between Lockheed Martin and Fokker Technologies of the Netherlands - with insight and participation by Navy airworthiness engineers - has yielded a preponderance of three-wire landings during DT-I and firmly established the success of the redesign..."

More at the link -- http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=84481

Looks like the F35C has performed like a champion!! They should have mentioned that "C" has consistently hooked Sweetie Pie's brains in addition to the 3 wire....wait a minute....Sweetie Pie has no brains in the first place :mrgreen:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 18 Nov 2014, 13:49

quicksilver wrote:Sewell is the tallest. On the far left is Elliot 'Hemo' Clemence.

That would account for the different flight suit then as 'Hemo' is presumably a LM pilot.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 18 Nov 2014, 14:46

spazsinbad wrote:It is good that USN has acknowledged the good work by all concerned in PR above.

Meanwhile back on page: 11 was the AvWeak 'Feet Wet' story:

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=26634&p=281610&hilit=apparent#p281610

which is now more or less available here now:

http://aviationweek.com/defense/redesig ... sea-trials

Notice who did NOT write that AvWeek article? :lol:
"There I was. . ."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 18 Nov 2014, 17:14

Thanks 'qs' & 'pop' I'll go with the HEMO as indicated also due flight suit. That had me puzzled at the time and then I was too tired to even care. :mrgreen: So my initial guess above has been amended. :devil: I'm writing this at 0315 my time so you know I have also just woken up (fiter pilote time). :doh:

So Forgive me IF I find this funnie:
Carrier Suitability Multi-Variate Metrics and other stuff...

"...Carrier based aircraft operations and carrier suitability have always fascinated and intrigued me, even before I spent some time at PAX River where the Naval and Marine versions of the JSF are being tested.

Trying to do “unusual and innovatively controlled” FCLPs (i.e. practice carrier landings) in the T-2C and, moreover, the TA-4J (from the back seat, mind you) gave me a healthy respect, both for those who fly ‘em and those who design ‘em – carrier based aircraft, that is; and, some insight into what is needed for an CB aircraft to not be a bolter queen, let alone be called an “outlier”.....

Last edited by Horde; 17th January 2012 at 22:57."

Source: http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthre ... ears/page3

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 19 Nov 2014, 00:29

'Horde' and Kopp... legends in their own mind :D
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 19 Nov 2014, 01:18

Found it + INDEX to years past to 2010 [repeated F-35B info on the SRVL thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20304&p=281772&hilit=nawcad#p281772 ]
VX-23 Strike Test News 2010 - 14 INDEX:
http://www.navair.navy.mil/nawcad/index ... 4E8876769E
VX-23 Strike Test News 2014 [02 Sep 2014]:

"...SHORT TAKEOFF AND VERTICAL LANDING (STOVL)
The F-35B continued sea trials last summer aboard the USS Wasp (LHD 1). Lessons learned from the previous ship trials in 2011 were incorporated and evaluated. Centerline tracking during short takeoffs (STOs) was drastically improved with the combination of an improved NWS schedule and the use of the Three-Bearing Swivel Nozzle (3BSN) for yaw control. BF-1 and BF-5 were utilized for the sea trials to further expand the wind and performance envelope for F-35B STOVL operations on L-class ships. Mission systems testing, to include the Night Vision Camera (NVC) and Distributed Aperture System (DAS) was accomplished by BF-4.

The F-35B STOVL envelope expansion continued last year. The Rolling Vertical Landing (RVL), Creeping Vertical Landing (CVL), Vertical Landing (VL), Slow Landing (SL), Short Take Off (STO) and Vertical Takeoff (VTO) envelopes were all expanded. RVL testing included main runway testing with some crosswind testing. CVL testing began and was completed on both the main runway and the Expeditionary Airfield (EAF). The VL wind envelope was further expanded, with up to 10 knots of tail wind and 15 knots of crosswind. SL and STO testing included crosswind expansion out to 20 knots, completed primarily at Edwards Air Force Base and NAWS China Lake during a wet runway and crosswind detachment. STOVL formation testing began this year, which included formation STOs and SLs. VTO expansion occurred concurrently with AM2 soft soil pad certification....
&
...F-35C CARRIER SUITABILITY
This is a very exciting time for F-35C Carrier Suitability team. We have been busy testing the F-35C at our unique shore-based catapult and arresting gear test facility to ensure it can withstand the punishing forces associated with shipboard flight operations. The TC-7 catapult and Mk-7 arresting gear sites at NAS Patuxent River, Maryland and Naval Air Warfare Center Aircraft Division (NAWCAD) - Lakehurst located aboard Joint Base Mcguire-Dix-Lakehurst, New Jersey, are fleet representative and almost identical to the equipment aboard today's CVNs. In addition to arrested landings, the team has been hard at work validating the current control laws in preparation for initial sea trials, as well as developing a new set of control laws to increase safety margins and boarding rates.

The road to initial sea trials began in December 2013 with the return to flight of CF-3 — the third F-35C aircraft to roll off of the production floor — after receiving a redesigned hook during a major modification period. The first order of business was to ensure the new hook worked. The team traveled to sunny Lakehurst in January to conduct arresting gear roll-ins. During this phase of testing, we targeted an engaging speed and validated loads on the arresting hook. After achieving the maximum engaging speed, we executed off-center engagements to a maximum of 20 feet off-centerline. The team successfully completed more than 35 roll-in engagements with no hook skips. We used the data from the roll-ins to create an interim Aircraft Recovery Bulletin (ARB) for use at the Patuxent River Mk-7 site and during initial sea trials. Having gained confidence in the new hook system, the team returned to Patuxent River to conduct the next phase of testing — structural survey — in which we evaluate the aircraft structural strength to ensure that it is sufficient for shipboard operations. This is accomplished by conducting several series of arrested landings outside of a normal touchdown envelope. The landing series consist of high sink landings, rolled-yawed landings, maximum engaging speed landings and free flight landings. The free flight landing is similar to an in-flight engagement since the hook engages the cross deck pendant prior to the main wheels touching down; however, the aircraft still has a downward vector. The ultimate goal of this testing is to ensure the aircraft can handle the harsh forces it will experience while a nugget is safely executing night CQ.

The F-35C team as a whole is busy developing the next generation of control laws that aim to increase boarding rates and safety margins while operating around the aircraft carrier. A new control scheme called Delta Flight Path (DFP) is featured on the F-35C. DFP is a form of autopilot in which a flight path is commanded, nominally 3 degrees. The pilot is then free to make lineup corrections with lateral stick without the need to compensate for lost lift with power or longitudinal stick inputs. If the pilot requires a glideslope correction, the sink rate can be increased or decreased using forward or aft stick until a center ball is achieved and then release the stick input. The control laws will then return the aircraft to the commanded flight path. The pilot will have the ability to change the desired glideslope as required by the environmental conditions for any given day. DFP’s goal of increasing boarding rate and safety margin has shown promise during field testing. But, as all good naval aviators know, the boat is the great equalizer and we are eagerly awaiting the opportunity to test DFP during initial sea trials...."

Source: http://www.navair.navy.mil/nawcad/index ... oad&id=820 (2.8Mb)

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 19 Nov 2014, 16:25

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 19 Nov 2014, 19:02

Delta Flight Path F-35C JSF Roundtable West Feb 2014

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 19 Nov 2014, 20:29

spazsinbad wrote:Thanks 'qs' & 'pop' I'll go with the HEMO as indicated also due flight suit. That had me puzzled at the time and then I was too tired to even care. :mrgreen: So my initial guess above has been amended. :devil: I'm writing this at 0315 my time so you know I have also just woken up (fiter pilote time). :doh:

So Forgive me IF I find this funnie:
Carrier Suitability Multi-Variate Metrics and other stuff...

"...Carrier based aircraft operations and carrier suitability have always fascinated and intrigued me, even before I spent some time at PAX River where the Naval and Marine versions of the JSF are being tested.

Trying to do “unusual and innovatively controlled” FCLPs (i.e. practice carrier landings) in the T-2C and, moreover, the TA-4J (from the back seat, mind you) gave me a healthy respect, both for those who fly ‘em and those who design ‘em – carrier based aircraft, that is; and, some insight into what is needed for an CB aircraft to not be a bolter queen, let alone be called an “outlier”.....

Last edited by Horde; 17th January 2012 at 22:57."

Source: http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthre ... ears/page3

LOL oh god

And I just got lost in key pubs. Wow. Its nice to visit just to shake my head.

Is that where all these asinine theories are born and then catch fire all over the internet? such fail. wow
Choose Crews

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 19 Nov 2014, 22:58

Perhaps one day we will see something like this in the F-35C?
A Quick Lap Around the Boat
Published on Aug 30, 2014

"Outstanding short video, by John Ivancic, of a quick lap around the USS Theodore Roosevelt in a T-45 Goshawk- under 2 minutes from catapult to trap. John is a pilot with the VT-9 Tigers, one of the two U.S. Navy strike jet training squadrons based at Naval Air Station Meridian in Mississippi."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 20 Nov 2014, 00:37

Crickets Chirping over at USNI News. WTF? Over http://news.usni.org/

Even BreakaDaFence has something: http://breakingdefense.com/2014/11/f-35 ... ly-really/

BTW my 'SiloBreaker' has gone commercial and I ain't going there. Anyone know of a good FREE online news aggregator please? Tah. 8)

PreviousNext