Pilots excited to debut F-35B at Cherry Point Air Show

Production milestones, roll-outs, test flights, service introduction and other milestones.
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 15 May 2014, 18:46

Also posted more or less at same time by 'maus92' here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=15455&p=271391#p271391

Pilots excited to debut F-35B at Cherry Point Air Show 14 May 2014 Drew C. Wilson, Havelock News

"...The fifth-generation fighter jet is scheduled for its first public flight on the East Coast during the Saturday and Sunday shows at Cherry Point.... [May 16, 17, 18 - 2014]

...Bardo and fellow pilot Maj. Brendon Walsh are scheduled to be at the air show, with demonstrations of the new jet scheduled for 4 p.m. both Saturday and Sunday....

...The Marine Corps is bringing three planes to the show, two for demonstrations and one to be positioned on the flight line for close-up viewing. Besides Bardo and Walsh, three other F-35B pilots will be on hand to answer questions at the static display.

Bardo, who was trained the fly AV-8B Harriers at Cherry Point, said the flight demonstration at the air show would include the jet’s high-speed capabilities as well as its ability to hover in place....

...“One of the things that we’re going to do is convert the airplane right at show center so that they can see all of the doors opening up and the nozzle rotate down and the airplane doing the transition from a conventional airplane to a STOVL jet,” Bardo said....

...“It’s a pretty amazing thing to see and even flying it myself I never get tired of watching the airplane convert into the STOVL mode and watch it fly. I think those of us who were lucky enough to grow up around the Harrier, we always watched airplanes hovering and you kind of watch that in amazement that a jet can do that and then watch this airplane not only convert but to be able to hover just like the Harrier I think is amazing. I never get sick of watching it do that. It’s a very impressive sight.”..."

http://www.cherrypointairshow.com/ & http://www.cherrypointairshow.com/images/f35-large.jpg

SOURCE: http://www.havenews.com/news/local-news ... 565?page=0
Attachments
F-35B STOVLmode Taxi f35-large.jpg

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 16 May 2014, 07:50

Excellent about time they started doing some serious PR........Plus, they can work out any bugs before the F-35B goes over to the UK this summer! :D

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 16 May 2014, 07:52

Sat/Sun Day Skeduool and Fri Nite Skeduool here: (I have decided not to speel todae) :mrgreen: Jellouse :devil:

http://www.newbernsj.com/news/local/f-3 ... w-1.319807

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 16 May 2014, 07:55

spazsinbad wrote:Also posted more or less at same time by 'maus92' here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=15455&p=271391#p271391

Pilots excited to debut F-35B at Cherry Point Air Show 14 May 2014 Drew C. Wilson, Havelock News

"...The fifth-generation fighter jet is scheduled for its first public flight on the East Coast during the Saturday and Sunday shows at Cherry Point.... [May 16, 17, 18 - 2014]

...Bardo and fellow pilot Maj. Brendon Walsh are scheduled to be at the air show, with demonstrations of the new jet scheduled for 4 p.m. both Saturday and Sunday....

...The Marine Corps is bringing three planes to the show, two for demonstrations and one to be positioned on the flight line for close-up viewing. Besides Bardo and Walsh, three other F-35B pilots will be on hand to answer questions at the static display.

Bardo, who was trained the fly AV-8B Harriers at Cherry Point, said the flight demonstration at the air show would include the jet’s high-speed capabilities as well as its ability to hover in place....

...“One of the things that we’re going to do is convert the airplane right at show center so that they can see all of the doors opening up and the nozzle rotate down and the airplane doing the transition from a conventional airplane to a STOVL jet,” Bardo said....

...“It’s a pretty amazing thing to see and even flying it myself I never get tired of watching the airplane convert into the STOVL mode and watch it fly. I think those of us who were lucky enough to grow up around the Harrier, we always watched airplanes hovering and you kind of watch that in amazement that a jet can do that and then watch this airplane not only convert but to be able to hover just like the Harrier I think is amazing. I never get sick of watching it do that. It’s a very impressive sight.”..."

http://www.cherrypointairshow.com/ & http://www.cherrypointairshow.com/images/f35-large.jpg

SOURCE: http://www.havenews.com/news/local-news ... 565?page=0

Quote:

Bardo, who was trained the fly AV-8B Harriers at Cherry Point, said the flight demonstration at the air show would include the jet’s high-speed capabilities as well as its ability to hover in place.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 16 May 2014, 12:22

Corsair1963 wrote:Bardo, who was trained the fly AV-8B Harriers at Cherry Point, said the flight demonstration at the air show would include the jet’s high-speed capabilities as well as its ability to hover in place.[/b]

I'm puzzled by how they could show anything actually high-speed without breaking the sound barrier, as even the Harrier can fly airshow "high-speed". :|
"There I was. . ."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 16 May 2014, 12:39

sferrin wrote:
Corsair1963 wrote:Bardo, who was trained the fly AV-8B Harriers at Cherry Point, said the flight demonstration at the air show would include the jet’s high-speed capabilities as well as its ability to hover in place.[/b]

I'm puzzled by how they could show anything actually high-speed without breaking the sound barrier, as even the Harrier can fly airshow "high-speed". :|

Well, we will find out very soon! :wink:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 17 May 2014, 04:23

Anymore details???

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 19 May 2014, 00:32

A preview of what to expect in the UK, minus the VL..

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/northern/201 ... s-airshow/

The F-35 flies! A sneak peak from the US Marines airshow (updated)

Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott may have sat in a dummy F-35 Lightning Joint Strike Fighter a few weeks back but I am one of the lucky few to have seen one fly.

I’m at the Cherry Point Marine base in North Carolina for their annual Air Show and the undoubted stars of the show are three F-35B Lightning II fighters.

One plane is on static ground display and over the course of this weekend the others will be displaying their exceptional capabilities.

I have to be back out the base in a couple of hours so here are a few quickly edited pictures for your enjoyment.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 19 May 2014, 02:09

popcorn wrote:A preview of what to expect in the UK, minus the VL..

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/northern/201 ... s-airshow/

The F-35 flies! A sneak peak from the US Marines airshow (updated)

Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott may have sat in a dummy F-35 Lightning Joint Strike Fighter a few weeks back but I am one of the lucky few to have seen one fly.

I’m at the Cherry Point Marine base in North Carolina for their annual Air Show and the undoubted stars of the show are three F-35B Lightning II fighters.

One plane is on static ground display and over the course of this weekend the others will be displaying their exceptional capabilities.

I have to be back out the base in a couple of hours so here are a few quickly edited pictures for your enjoyment.

GREAT! Can you tell us about the display??? Was it restricted in the maneuvers at all??? :bang:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 19 May 2014, 05:40

Attachments
1350181.jpg
CherryPointMay2014form3.jpg

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 19 May 2014, 06:15

The F-35B surprisingly doesn't look that much bigger than the Hornet or Harrier.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 19 May 2014, 07:01

Attachments
F-35navalAircraftComparoBeedall.gif

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 19 May 2014, 08:22

Depends a great deal on the angle......

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 19 May 2014, 08:27

BTW talked to somebody online earlier tonight and he said he was at the show. Asked him his opinion of how the F-35 performed. He didn't seem to be to excited about the F-35. Yet, commented on how loud it was!

Didn't know the guy personally so I have no idea of his back ground or even if he had ever been to an Air Show before???

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 20 May 2014, 00:34

F-35B impresses many at Cherry Point Air Show 19 May 2014 Drew C. Wilson, Havelock News

"Hovering Harrier jets have long been a familiar sight at Cherry Point, but this past weekend, a new jet from a new era took center stage with the air station’s first public display of the F-35B Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter.

Tens of thousands of spectators witnessed the Marine Corps’ most modern addition to its fleet in brilliant, blue skies at the Cherry Point Air Show.

“It looks sleek and it’s loud,” said Mark Montgomery, of Atlantic Beach, who watched with his family as the new jet went through a series of slow takeoffs, hovers and high speed-passes to show the jet’s versatility.

“It was a nice demonstration,” said Brian Dorn, of Newport. “The hovering part was our favorite part.”

Dorn said he was very familiar with the Harrier and the F-35B was “just as dramatic in noise.”...

...Maj. E.M. Howell, an F-35B pilot who narrated the flight demonstration for the air show crowd, spent the weekend answering questions about at the ground display of the stealth fighter jet.

Howell said the jet demonstration started with the aircraft flying off using its afterburners, which are louder than what is heard in regular flight...."

SOURCE: http://www.havenews.com/news/local-news ... 354?page=0

Next