F-35C Lands at Lakehurst For Testing

Production milestones, roll-outs, test flights, service introduction and other milestones.
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 09 Oct 2012, 18:47

From the Super Hornet NATOPS: http://info.publicintelligence.net/F18-EF-000.pdf (19,5Mb)

"2.8.5 Arresting Hook System. The arresting hook is always down-loaded by a nitrogen-charged accumulator (arresting hook snubber) contained in the arresting hook retract actuator. Arresting hook extension is therefore accomplished by mechanically releasing the arresting hook uplatch mechanism (HOOK handle down) and allowing snubber pressure and gravity to extend the hook. The hook should extend in less than 2 seconds. At touchdown, the arresting hook snubber controls hook bounce and provides a hold down force for arresting cable engagement.

Arresting hook retraction is accomplished by raising the HOOK handle. This electrically opens the aft isolation valve and the arresting hook selector valve, routing HYD 2B pressure to the arresting hook retract actuator. HYD 2B pressure overcomes the snubber down-load pressure and raises the hook. The arresting hook uplatch mechanism captures and locks the hook in the up position. The hook should retract in less than 4 seconds. If HYD 2B pressure is lost, the arresting hook cannot be retracted.

Hornet NATOPS: http://info.publicintelligence.net/F18-ABCD-000.pdf (17Mb)

"2.10.5 Arresting Hook System. The arresting hook system consists of a retract actuator/damper, fail safe manual latch and release, universal hook shank pivot and replaceable hook point. Hook control is a manual system which automatically extends the hook in case of a failure of the release system. The arresting hook handle and hook light are on the lower right main instrument panel. The hook light remains on except when the hook is up and latched or is fully down. Hook extension is a free fall action assisted by a nitrogen charge in the actuator cylinder. Hook motion is dampened laterally by a liquid spring in the hook shank and vertically by the damper in the retract actuator cylinder which minimizes hook bounce and provides hold down force for arresting cable engagement.

Without proper N2 pre-charge (insufficient arresting hook snubber pressure), the arresting hook does not fully extend due to HYD 2 backpressure and airloads. If the arresting hook fails to extend as a result of this condition, shutting down the right engine reduces HYD 2 backpressure and allows sufficient extension (35° compared to 56°normal)."

UhOH! "...'dampened' laterally by a liquid spring"... Yanks and their word usage/spelling drives other original English speakers to distraction. :D

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 09 Oct 2012, 19:10

PAGE 2 of this thread has info about F-35C JBD testing at Lakehurst so probably this is a good spot for this info:

Jet Blast Deflector (JBD) Liquid Nitrogen Cooling System 03 Oct 2012

http://www.navair.navy.mil/index.cfm?fu ... ry&id=5135

"Jacob Abujaber, ALRE Advanced Arresting Gear Energy Storage Capacitor Banks and Energy Dumps team lead, has created a new cooling system for aircraft carriers’ JBD panels that protect the crew and flight deck as jets launch from the ship.

Abujaber, who submitted his invention disclosure in March 2011, said because liquid nitrogen is environmentally safe, inexpensive, and nonflammable and can be easily produced, it will be a more efficient and effective coolant system for the JBD panels during high energy jet launches.

“This will enhance the present and future capabilities of JBD’s and allow future jets that produce high energy engine thrust and heat to operate on Navy carriers,” Abujaber said.

He added that his invention will also significantly reduce JBD cooling assembly corrosion caused by seawater and diminish the frequency of replacing JBD panels damaged by overheating, ultimately saving the fleet money."

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by neptune » 09 Oct 2012, 19:15

spazsinbad wrote:...UhOH! "...'dampened' laterally by a liquid spring"... Yanks and their word usage/spelling drives other original English speakers to distraction. :D

Not quite the Spring that Chaucer alluded to. :)

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 09 Oct 2012, 19:27

Looks like 'actuator/damper' is the current term for "dampening". :D From the T-45C NATOPS:

T-45C Goshawk NATOPS "2.13 ARRESTING HOOK SYSTEM
The arresting hook systemconsists of the hook shank, pivot assembly, replaceable hook point, hydraulic actuator/damper, manual up latch assembly, hydraulic selector valve, compensator/check valve, arresting HOOK handles and HOOK warning light. The pivot assembly allows both vertical and lateral movement of the arresting hook. The actuator/damper is a piston assembly with HYD 1 pressure on one side, nitrogen preload pressure of 950 ±50 psi at 70 °F on the other side, and a relief valve assembly in the middle to control the movement of the piston. The manual up latch assembly mechanically locks the arresting hook in the up position, and prevents the hook from extending when hydraulic pressure is removed from the actuator/damper during a hydraulic failure or engine shut down. Two arresting hook bumpers are located on the lower surface of the tail. The bumpers protect the lower tail surfaces and tail pipe from possible damage from arresting hook slap should the hook slip off the cable during arrestment.

Cockpit controls and indicators include an arresting HOOK handle and a red HOOK warning light in both cockpits. An electrical sensing switch located in the forward cockpit HOOK handle illuminates the red HOOK warning light in both cockpits when the HOOK handle does not correspond to the actual hook position.

2.13.1 Arresting Hook Operation. The arresting hook is operated by moving the HOOK handle in either cockpit. The handles are mechanically connected. Lowering either handle pulls a control cable that releases the manual up latch assembly and switches a hydraulic selector valve to remove HYD 1 pressure from the arresting hook actuator/damper. This allows the hook to gravity free fall, assisted by the nitrogen snubber pressure in the actuator/damper. The HOOK warning light illuminates for approximately 1.5 seconds while the hook is in transit and extinguishes when the hook reaches the full down position. With the hook extended, lateral hook movement is dampened by a centering spring/damper in the hook shank, and vertical hook motion is dampened by the actuator/damper.

NOTE
With weight-on-wheels, the hook cannot fully extend and the HOOK
warning light will remain illuminated. A compensator/check valve
directs positive hydraulic pressure to the actuator/damper during
vertical hook movements (hook bouncing on deck) to prevent possible
cavitation in the return hydraulic line.

The hook is retracted by moving either arresting HOOK handle to the up position. The control cable then switches the hydraulic selector valve to allowpositive hydraulic pressure to flow to the actuator/damper forcing the hook to retract to the up/latched position. The HOOK warning light will illuminate for approximately 6 seconds or less during retraction and will extinguish when the hook is up and latched. The arresting hook system employs a fail-safe feature which allows the hook to be extended in the event of an uplatch assembly, HYD 1, or control cable malfunction. The pilot cannot retract the hook without hydraulic pressure."

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by johnwill » 09 Oct 2012, 20:30

Gums wrote:Salute!

Great point John-boy!!!

Sounds like "shock absorbers" for auto/truck/jeep. Without them, and with only the "spring" implementation, most autos would be in for a wild ride.

In this case, it seems that most of the dampening should be versus the "upward" movement of the hook arm and not so much for the down force. Am I getting that right?

Gums sends...

Welcome back from your TDY!

You got it right on the damping effects during up vs. down motion.

spazsinbad ... "UhOH! "...'dampened' laterally by a liquid spring"... Yanks and their word usage/spelling drives other original English speakers to distraction."

First, Southerners and particularly Texans (me) do not appreciate being called Yanks :lol: but I forgive you. Furthermore, other original English speakers should not be too critical of former Colonists when they themselves pronounce "ough" ten different ways (tough, cough, bough, though, thought, through, thorough, hiccough, hough, lough). That is only one of many examples of poor spelling in original English. Why didn't they take Spelling 101 from the Germans?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 09 Oct 2012, 22:26

HeeHee. My favourite was an instructor chap from somehere who insisted on saying/pronouncing "height" in the same way one says depth and breadth for example (I guess he must have spelt [notice - not 'spelled'] it) 'heigth' in his septic tank brain. :D Does that mean he was a Southerner?

I was in Denver CO at the time. None of the many people from that state or land or any other furriners I met over a six month sojourn ever said anything like it. However being on a Photo Interpreter Course at Lowry AFB we Ozzies heard him say it OVER and OVER and OVER.... sigh. It was brain damaging.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 09 Oct 2012, 23:12

Back on track with the RF-4B NATOX info re de hook.
Attachments
RF-4BnatopsArrestorHookSystem.gif
RF-4BnatopsHookSnubberAccess.gif

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 10 Oct 2012, 01:39

[quote="spazsinbad"] ...one would gather engaging that reliably under all nominated conditions is important."

Well, no...kidding...Sherlock. The point is that the limited objective of the fly-ins was achieved.

:?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 10 Oct 2012, 03:39

'quicksilver' thanks. I have been attempting to say that all along.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Gums » 10 Oct 2012, 04:35

Salute!

Well, hell, Spaz, why not just use an A-4 hook?

The doors I saw on the jet were big enough to handle the Skyhawk hook.

I can attest to the dampening of the hook from one bad night in the SLUF. Had braking problems and missed the first cable ( 1400 feet or so at other end of rwy), then snagged the BAK-9 or whatever the thing was with the boat chains. The ground crews told me that I was trailing sparks well before the "normal" barrier cable, but sucker still skipped.

Gums sends...
Gums
Viper pilot '79
"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 10 Oct 2012, 04:54

Glad you had the backup BAK-9 then. What was the option if you missed that also - were you slowly down a bit? Usually NATOPS advice is to drop the hook for a long field arrest about 1,000 feet beforehand but that will depend on how long an aircraft type hook takes to drop and groundspeed (often there is a warning about dropping hook too early in case it becomes damaged). A lot to figure out in a short time so JUST DO IT! :D

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by checksixx » 10 Oct 2012, 05:09

johnwill wrote:spazsinbad ... "UhOH! "...'dampened' laterally by a liquid spring"... Yanks and their word usage/spelling drives other original English speakers to distraction."

First, Southerners and particularly Texans (me) do not appreciate being called Yanks :lol: but I forgive you.

Spaz was using a common term to describe American's in general. Had no relevance to the failed attempt by the southern states to rebel against the federal government. Truth be told, it probably would have worked much more in the south's favor had they not started the hostilities at Fort Sumter. Back to regular programming.....

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 10 Oct 2012, 05:36

Seppos rool! :D He says whistling Dixie.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by johnwill » 10 Oct 2012, 05:39

checksixx wrote:
johnwill wrote:spazsinbad ... "UhOH! "...'dampened' laterally by a liquid spring"... Yanks and their word usage/spelling drives other original English speakers to distraction."

First, Southerners and particularly Texans (me) do not appreciate being called Yanks :lol: but I forgive you.

Spaz was using a common term to describe American's (sic) in general. Had no relevance to the failed attempt by the southern states to rebel against the federal government. Truth be told, it probably would have worked much more in the South's favor had they not started the hostilities at Fort Sumter. Back to regular programming.....

I am well aware that "Yanks" is a common term to describe Americans in general. It seems to me your humor sensor has failed you badly. Nevertheless, my statement remains true, primarily because of the condescending attitude of many actual "Yanks".

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 18 Oct 2012, 17:40

For the sake of keeping a record about arrested landings and suchlike in one place, the 'neptune' post here: http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewtopic-t-20494.html section is repeated

International backing for F-35 hasn’t been stronger, says Lockheed official
By: Craig Hoyle 19 Oct 2012

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articl ... al-377810/

"...Recent test activities with a new tailhook design for the US Navy's carrier variant F-35C have, meanwhile, involved 76 ground and five "fly-in" arrestments at NAS Lakehurst in New Jersey, Lockheed says...."

<SARCASM> This is so informative, I'll have to assume that it means something like 'these were all successful arrests'? Shirley this reporter can do better?

PreviousNext