F-35 Lightning II vs Dassault Rafale

The F-35 compared with other modern jets.
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 27 Jan 2020, 04:22

gta4 wrote:Did you see that? Fighting a super hornet is equivalent to fighting a ME262 in WW2 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Heavens to murgatroyd I don't know how you got to that notion - even in jest - you make up stuff that is just silly:
"... What I want to is make sure I win. Why do I say that? If I’m going to fight against a Super Hornet, I’m going to find a tricky way to defeat him. Look at the Messerschmitt 262 back in World War Two, most of them got shot down on landing. An aircraft shot down still makes the count. If we have to face the US Navy, it’s going to be disproportionate in terms of numbers – it’s going bring entire tactics to another level...."

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by gta4 » 27 Jan 2020, 04:49

How does it feel to get busted by a hornet with 2 fuel tanks

f18 vs rafale.jpg

f18 vs rafale 2.jpg

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by notam123 » 02 Mar 2020, 05:47

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by optimist » 02 Mar 2020, 06:10

How long is he benched, for over G'ing the frame? It costs money to inspect the frame afterwards. As well as reducing the lifetime G load hours.

https://www.dassault-aviation.com/en/de ... ance-data/
Limit load factors -3.2 g / +9 g

Aircraft are over G'ed in testing.
Europe's fighters been decided. Not a Eurocanard, it's the F-35 (or insert derogatory term) Count the European countries with it.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by notam123 » 02 Mar 2020, 07:52

This is a demo flight at RIAT. Not a classical operational flight. However, planes and settings are identical. There is a "soft" stop at 9g. Hard one at 11.4 as far as i remember.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by optimist » 02 Mar 2020, 11:10

Most aircraft have a G, AoA limiter override. Limits are normally imposed for different weight, armaments and fuel tanks. For spectators on the ground, at an airshow. They would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a clean 9 or 11G. If it was approved, it seems more of a PR exercise of some sort, to have a HUD video. I'm still scratching my head as to why. It still has the AoA stall limits.
Europe's fighters been decided. Not a Eurocanard, it's the F-35 (or insert derogatory term) Count the European countries with it.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by notam123 » 04 Mar 2020, 11:17

It has no real operational meaning, just fun and nice images from the pilot instagram account.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 19 Mar 2020, 19:50

100 years of fury [Five page PDF of article below]
April 2020 Bastien Otelli

"The French Navy’s oldest fighter squadron, Flottille 11F, turned 100 last year. Bastien Otelli takes the opportunity to look back at its glorious past and to examine the latest evolution of the Rafale, as the unit becomes the first to receive the F3-R standard....

...Rafale F3-R, F4… what next?
In January 2019, with Flottille 11F yet to receive its first Rafale F3-R, the French Armed Forces approved development of the follow-on F4 standard. Expected in service from 2024, the Rafale F4 will be a significant evolution, including:
- MBE2 radar optimisation for tracking of moving ground targets and very high-resolution mapping
- Link 16 Block 2 integration
- New weapons, including the future MICA NG air-to-air missile, which has miniaturised components, additional propellant and increased speed and autonomy
- Larger and higher-resolution cockpit displays, plus a helmet-mounted display system
- New tactical data link and information-sharing system between Rafales
- Communication network with high degree of protection against cyber attack
- Secure, encrypted SATCOM
- Enhanced Spectra self-protection suite plus new flares and electromagnetic jammers
- New digital engine controls and diagnostic/prognosis system allowing predictive maintenance for improved operational readiness

Once it arrives in service, the F4 should be quickly followed by a mid-life update for the Rafale in 2025. Little is known about this project, except that the Spectra will be further modernised, and the fighter’s airframe slightly modified to reduce its radar crosssection. It will also feature new transmitter/receiver antennas integrated under the aircraft’s skin.

It’s hard to say if the F4 will be the last Rafale standard, but it’s certain these optimisations will assist Dassault to realise the Système de Combat Aérien du Futur (SCAF, or Future Combat Air System) programme, which is being jointly conducted with Airbus. A maiden flight of the SCAF’s manned fighter component, the Next Generation Fighter (NGF) is scheduled for 2026. The new fighter is also expected to operate as a ‘mothership’ for autonomous combat drones. It’s an
ambitious project but, if all goes to plan, it should become operational between 2035 and 2040. A carrier-based NGF is also on the cards and it’s entirely possible that Flottille 11F will be the first French unit equipped with this version."

Source: AirForces Monthly Magazine April 2020 No.385
Attachments
French Navy RAFALE AirForces Monthly Apr 2020 pp5.pdf
(1.97 MiB) Downloaded 5013 times
RAFALE F3R badge.jpg
RAFALE Flotille 11F badge.jpg

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by notam123 » 20 Mar 2020, 14:00

Somehow dubious about MLU one year after the arrival of a new standard. We were told about 4.1 and 4.2 standards, the latter needing refurbishment of some older Rafales. This could clearly lead to a misunderstanding. Or maybe they are talking about the MLU contract?
Good find anyway.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 13 May 2020, 18:13

CHESAPEAKE DEPLOYMENT [45 Page PDF reprinted PRN attached below] [reattached due page error]
Inside the Unprecdented Deployment of a French Navy Carrier Air Wing Aboard the USS George HW Bush (CVN 77)
2018 Story & Photography by Dan Adams

"The French Navy had a problem. With its aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle undergoing a major refit, how could its carrier air wing maintain its skills and readiness in preparation for the ship's return to service. The refit, scheduled to take from early 2017 through early 2019, would ensure the carrier's capabilities through the end of its service life in 20 years. The refurbishment included upgrading the ship's ammunition storage, aircraft facilities, landing support equipment (the same as used on US carriers), communications, computer systems and more. Enter, the US Navy. Operation Chesapeake, lasting from April 3 to May 27, 2018, was the unique solution to the French Navy's need to maintain readiness. Although the carrier air wing maintained a rigorous operational pace during the de Gaulle's refit, it did so from land. This partnership with the US Navy enabled to air wing to perform workups at sea around and aboard an aircraft carrier in preparation for the Charles de Gaulle's return to active service.

The deployment, named after the Battle of Chesapeake, was another hallmark of US-French cooperation on the high-seas. The battle itself, was a key maritime engagement between the French Fleet and the British during the American Revolution. The French victory led to the fall of Yorktown and ultimately US victory and independence. The deployment itself was unprecedented in scale. Over 350 sailors of the carrier air wing including pilots, mechanics and flight deck personnel were deployed to the United States along with 12 Dassault Rafale M and 1 E-2C Hawkeye. The aircraft represented the carrier air wing squadrons 11 F, 12F and 17F flying Raf ales and 4F flying the Hawkeye. The deployment consisted of two phases: an onshore phase aboard NAS Oceana and an at-sea phase aboard the US aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush (CVN-77). Several US Navy squadrons supported the deployment and flew alongside their French allies: Super Hornets from VFA-31 Tomcatters, VFA-87 Golden Warriors and VFA-213 Blacklions; EA-18G Growlers from VAQ-131 Lancers; Hawkeyes from VAW-124 Bear Aces; and, support from the C-2 Greyhounds of VRC-40 Rawhides...."

Photo: Mostly USN LSOs with female LSO on the phone - only one looking back checks for a SAFE DECK.

Source: AVIATION PHOTOJOURNAL Volume IV; Issue 4; Special Issue #4
Attachments
Aviation Photojournal Chesapeake Deployment on CVN-77 Special Issue 4 2019 PRN pp45.pdf
(10.76 MiB) Downloaded 5009 times
BUSHfrenchUsnLSOsChesapeake2018.jpg
RafaleMchesapeakeBushTouchDown.jpg
FrenchLSObrownSuit.jpg
RafaleMbushRampExtIndexer.jpg
RafaleMbushArrest3wire.jpg

by wil59 » 31 May 2020, 08:14

gta4 wrote:How does it feel to get busted by a hornet with 2 fuel tanks

f18 vs rafale.jpg

f18 vs rafale 2.jpg

laugh, me too i can put an f18 in the hud of the Rafale http://rafalefan.e-monsite.com/medias/i ... 18-hud.jpg. https://mobile.twitter.com/RafaleAddict ... 89/photo/4 Here you have the choice of a Eurofighter, an F22 or an F18. It doesn't mean anything one day you win another you lose!

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 13 Sep 2020, 10:53

Greece and the Rafale
12 Sep 2020 Dassault PR

"Saint-Cloud, France, September 12, 2020 – Greece announced today its intention to acquire 18 Rafales to equip its air force. This announcement illustrates the strength of the partnership that has linked the Greek Air Force and Dassault Aviation for more than 45 years, and demonstrates the enduring strategic relationship between Greece and France...."

Source: https://www.dassault-aviation.com/en/gr ... he-rafale/

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by ricnunes » 13 Sep 2020, 15:47

Apparently it seems that Greece will actually buy 10 of those Rafales while the remaining 8 will be donated by France:

https://www.defenseworld.net/news/27763 ... 14weRBKhdg
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call EW and pretend like it’s new.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 13 Sep 2020, 16:02

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by ricnunes » 13 Sep 2020, 21:59

spazsinbad wrote:'ricnunes' your report is 12/13 days old, reports below more recent say new, however new does not mean 'second hand'?

Yes, I'm aware of that Spaz.
If you notice, in the link that I posted (which is indeed 12/13 days old) at that time Greece's Rafale 'purchase' was still a plan or an intention if you will and thus it was yet to be 'approved' or 'signed'. But the plan was indeed to purchase 10 Rafales while another 8 would be donated by France. According to your links this plan is now confirmed/approved.

My understanding of the 'new' word in your links is that it means that these aircraft (Rafale) will be 'new' aircraft added to Greece (Hellenic) Air Force existing inventory and not necessarily 'first hand' or newly built aircraft.
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call EW and pretend like it’s new.

PreviousNext