F-35 Lightning II vs Dassault Rafale

The F-35 compared with other modern jets.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 23271
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -2

Unread post08 Apr 2018, 01:19

We'll find out more soon: yesterday: https://www.defensenews.com/2018/04/06/ ... -aircraft/
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/
Offline
User avatar

element1loop

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1337
  • Joined: 31 Dec 2015, 05:35
  • Location: Australia

Unread post08 Apr 2018, 03:25

"Germany, France to move ahead on sixth-generation combat aircraft"
----

Must be a metric conversion thing.
Accel + Alt + VLO + DAS + MDF + Radial Distance = LIFE . . . Always choose Stealth
Offline

vanshilar

Senior member

Senior member

  • Posts: 403
  • Joined: 26 Aug 2015, 11:23

Unread post08 Apr 2018, 05:42

element1loop wrote:"Germany, France to move ahead on sixth-generation combat aircraft"
----

Must be a metric conversion thing.


Why not? Sweden developed one on their own, it can't be that hard for several European countries to collaborate on another one...
Offline
User avatar

element1loop

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1337
  • Joined: 31 Dec 2015, 05:35
  • Location: Australia

Unread post08 Apr 2018, 06:35

vanshilar wrote:
element1loop wrote:"Germany, France to move ahead on sixth-generation combat aircraft"
----

Must be a metric conversion thing.


Why not? Sweden developed one on their own

/Sarc


FIFY
Accel + Alt + VLO + DAS + MDF + Radial Distance = LIFE . . . Always choose Stealth
Offline

vanshilar

Senior member

Senior member

  • Posts: 403
  • Joined: 26 Aug 2015, 11:23

Unread post08 Apr 2018, 07:34

element1loop wrote:FIFY


Should be obvious :)
Offline
User avatar

element1loop

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1337
  • Joined: 31 Dec 2015, 05:35
  • Location: Australia

Unread post08 Apr 2018, 09:00

vanshilar wrote:
element1loop wrote:FIFY


Should be obvious :)


Sadly, not to everyone. :wink:
Accel + Alt + VLO + DAS + MDF + Radial Distance = LIFE . . . Always choose Stealth
Offline

vilters

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1098
  • Joined: 28 Sep 2009, 00:16

Unread post08 Apr 2018, 14:44

Germany and France together again?

Have they learned NOTHING in the past decades?

Stupid on the very of "criminal".

Taxpayers money down the drain.
Offline

monkeypilot

Banned

  • Posts: 187
  • Joined: 24 Nov 2017, 09:35

Unread post08 Apr 2018, 15:04

element1loop wrote:"Germany, France to move ahead on sixth-generation combat aircraft"
----

Must be a metric conversion thing.


Yes, they share a civilised metric system :P . More seriously, in their mind (journo's one, noone spoke about 6th gen here or in Germany), 6th Gen could be linked to massive AI use.
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 23271
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -2

Unread post09 Apr 2018, 07:29

French Navy Aircraft, Crews Arrive in Virginia for Qualifications on U.S. Carrier
06 Apr 2018 RICHARD R. BURGESS

"...Six Rafales arrived at NAS Oceana in Virginia Beach on April 5, according to an email sent by aircraft spotters in the area. Six more Rafales were expected to arrive April 6, along with one E-2C Hawkeye radar warning aircraft. The Rafales are assigned to 11, 12 and 17 Flotilles (squadrons), and the E-2C is assigned to 4 Flotille....

...After field carrier landing practice, the French aircraft will embark on USS George H.W. Bush for two weeks for joint carrier operations with the U.S. Navy’s Carrier Air Wing Eight."

Source: http://seapowermagazine.org/stories/201 ... rench.html
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/
Offline

sunstersun

Active Member

Active Member

  • Posts: 148
  • Joined: 12 Jul 2017, 06:50

Unread post09 Apr 2018, 08:49

Only UK and France have been offered use of an American aircraft carrier.

Seems fitting really.
Offline

monkeypilot

Banned

  • Posts: 187
  • Joined: 24 Nov 2017, 09:35

Unread post09 Apr 2018, 11:21

The six remaining Rafale and the E2C arrived safely yesterday (aswell as logistics and personel). Everything is "green", no issue and real work to start today.
It is very interesting in terms of interoperability isn't it?
Offline
User avatar

ricnunes

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2148
  • Joined: 02 Mar 2017, 14:29

Unread post09 Apr 2018, 11:36

marsavian wrote:How can the FCA be outdated when it will be a clean sheet design that has not yet been specified yet apart from a few general principles. It could be faster than F-35, it could have broadband stealth (i.e be tail-less), it could have longer range, all the possibilities have yet to be defined. You are automatically assuming it will be inferior when In all likelihood it will be designed from the outset to try and be superior in some respects. As for Italy's thoughts on the matter ...


Because when the FCA finally reaches operational service (in what?? 2045? Later?) and even if the FCA ends up being a bit better than the F-35, the Americans and its closer allies will start to field a much more advanced 6th generation fighter aircraft (whatever this might be), or resuming and like I previously said: History repeating itself with what's currently happening where the "Europeans" (France and Germany to be accurate) field 4th gen fighter aircraft (like the Typhoon or Rafale) which are at best marginally better than the (older) American 4th gen fighter aircraft (and even this is opened to debate) while the Americans and its closer allies are fielding a much more advanced fighter aircraft - the F-35.
A 4th/4.5th gen fighter aircraft stands about as much chance against a F-35 as a guns-only Sabre has against a Viper.
Offline
User avatar

ricnunes

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2148
  • Joined: 02 Mar 2017, 14:29

Unread post09 Apr 2018, 11:38

swiss wrote:
ricnunes wrote: The F-35 would allow these European countries (France and Germany) to acquire important technology in a timely manner so that they could if they want to develop a 6th gen fighter aircraft instead of content themselves with updating an already outdated FCA and thus, history repeating itself again.


This is indeed a interesting point. But i assume LM wouldn't like that. :wink:


Yes, I also believe in your assumption :wink:
A 4th/4.5th gen fighter aircraft stands about as much chance against a F-35 as a guns-only Sabre has against a Viper.
Offline

monkeypilot

Banned

  • Posts: 187
  • Joined: 24 Nov 2017, 09:35

Unread post09 Apr 2018, 13:57

ricnunes wrote:
marsavian wrote:How can the FCA be outdated when it will be a clean sheet design that has not yet been specified yet apart from a few general principles. It could be faster than F-35, it could have broadband stealth (i.e be tail-less), it could have longer range, all the possibilities have yet to be defined. You are automatically assuming it will be inferior when In all likelihood it will be designed from the outset to try and be superior in some respects. As for Italy's thoughts on the matter ...


Because when the FCA finally reaches operational service (in what?? 2045? Later?) and even if the FCA ends up being a bit better than the F-35, the Americans and its closer allies will start to field a much more advanced 6th generation fighter aircraft (whatever this might be), or resuming and like I previously said: History repeating itself with what's currently happening where the "Europeans" (France and Germany to be accurate) field 4th gen fighter aircraft (like the Typhoon or Rafale) which are at best marginally better than the (older) American 4th gen fighter aircraft (and even this is opened to debate) while the Americans and its closer allies are fielding a much more advanced fighter aircraft - the F-35.


How do you know that? You are using adjectives as if they were God's words. "better" "more advanced" etc. do not mean a lot in terms of military aircrafts if you do not describe the context. Eurofighter and Rafale are much more advanced within their own context than any 4th gen US aircraft. Simply because they were built to fit different specifications. Same applies to F-35. About the future, do you have a cristal ball?
Offline
User avatar

ricnunes

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2148
  • Joined: 02 Mar 2017, 14:29

Unread post09 Apr 2018, 14:53

monkeypilot wrote:How do you know that? You are using adjectives as if they were God's words. "better" "more advanced" etc. do not mean a lot in terms of military aircrafts if you do not describe the context.


Are you even trying to dispute that the F-35 is more advanced than the Rafale or Typhoon?

Are you trying to dispute that the F-15/F-16 were more advanced than the Mirage 2000?

Are you trying to dispute that the F-4 was more advanced than the Mirage III?


By way, note that all planes that I put on the same sentences above are/were contemporaries.


monkeypilot wrote:Eurofighter and Rafale are much more advanced within their own context than any 4th gen US aircraft. Simply because they were built to fit different specifications. Same applies to F-35.


That's disputable at best!
I (and others) even provided evidence or indication if you will, that the Super Hornet is likely more advanced in terms of air-to-ground roles and that the Rafale or Typhoon aren't much more advanced than updated F-16's and F-15's (namely Strike Eagles).


monkeypilot wrote:About the future, do you have a cristal ball?


Yes, I have a "cristal ball" - My "cristal ball" is called history and learning from it! Or if you prefer, history repeating itself over and over again...
A 4th/4.5th gen fighter aircraft stands about as much chance against a F-35 as a guns-only Sabre has against a Viper.
PreviousNext

Return to F-35 versus XYZ

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests