Queen Liz Carrier with Full F-35B compiment versus?

The F-35 compared with other modern jets.

How does the QE F-35B compare to other navies

Poll ended at 11 Oct 2020, 03:13

The French and Charles De Gaul are 2nd to US?
0
No votes
The British are better, 2nd to the U.S
9
75%
The Chinese are now 2nd
3
25%
The Indian navy is 2nd
0
No votes
The Japanese are 2nd
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 12

  • Author
  • Message
Offline

quicksilver

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 3142
  • Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 01:30

Unread post14 Oct 2020, 01:27

“Making DSIs resistant to hot gas ingestion...”

Was this an issue for F-35C?
Offline

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

  • Posts: 4937
  • Joined: 10 Mar 2006, 01:24
  • Location: Nashua NH USA

Unread post14 Oct 2020, 01:29

Corsair1963 wrote:
Clearly, the J-31 is going to be the PLAN next Naval Fighter. So, why we keep talking about the J-20 is beyond me???


Plus, you must be kidding about the Su-34 having an "impressively low RCS". Was that a joke that I missed???

:?

I agree that the J-31 is going to be the next PLAN fighter, I just don't think it's the best choice. And the Su-34 statement caused me to question my coworker. All he was allowed to say was low positive decibels. That was not the first time I have heard of the Su-34 having "extensive RCS reducing treatments". I myself don't see it, even if that platypus nose is a huge part of it.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer
Offline

marauder2048

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1419
  • Joined: 14 Mar 2012, 06:46

Unread post14 Oct 2020, 02:01

quicksilver wrote:“Making DSIs resistant to hot gas ingestion...”

Was this an issue for F-35C?


AFAIK, the DSI (and engine) for the F-35C is, when used in conjunction with ABLIM, very HGI tolerant.

HGI was a major issue for the S-ducts (and engines) on the Super Bug which led to ABLIM in the first place.
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 24792
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -2

Unread post14 Oct 2020, 02:16

I'm guessing there is a difference between HOT GAS INGESTION HGI & Catapult STEAM INGESTION (non-issue for EMALS)?

Steam ingestion was not a problem for the F-35C but like the Super Hornet HGI 'POP' Stalls were eliminated by ABLIM.

FOUR PAGE PDF attached describes some of these issues. PRN means reprinted to reduce file size so URLS don't work.
Attachments
F-35CtestJBDpp4prn.pdf
(143.22 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber
Offline

marauder2048

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1419
  • Joined: 14 Mar 2012, 06:46

Unread post14 Oct 2020, 02:29

spazsinbad wrote:I'm guessing there is a difference between HOT GAS INGESTION HGI & Catapult STEAM INGESTION (non-issue for EMALS)?

Steam ingestion was not a problem for the F-35C but like the Super Hornet HGI 'POP' Stalls were eliminated by ABLIM.

FOUR PAGE PDF attached describes some of these issues. PRN means reprinted to reduce file size so URLS don't work.


That's right; HGI in this case is coming mainly from the afterburner.
I'm not sure about that article you attached; full afterburner, in the Super Bug at least, gets restored
after 5 feet of catapult travel not at the edge of the deck.

IIRC, there were other mods to the F414 to improve its pop-stall resistance.
Attachments
pop-goes-the-bug.png
Offline

madrat

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2811
  • Joined: 03 Mar 2010, 03:12

Unread post14 Oct 2020, 03:09

I really don't see how you believe J-31 will be the next stealth fighter for PLAN's next fighter. It is no F-35B or F-35C equivalent. The F-35A isn't exactly ideal in that role but add in J-31's low TWR and high wing loading. Just a bad combination. J-15 is in the PLAN's future, not J-31.
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 24792
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -2

Unread post14 Oct 2020, 03:21

A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 6913
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post14 Oct 2020, 03:59

madrat wrote:I really don't see how you believe J-31 will be the next stealth fighter for PLAN's next fighter. It is no F-35B or F-35C equivalent. The F-35A isn't exactly ideal in that role but add in J-31's low TWR and high wing loading. Just a bad combination. J-15 is in the PLAN's future, not J-31.


Really??? Funny, it's been discussed for "years".... :|


Sorry, the J-15 is just a "stop gap" until the Naval J-31 arrives..... :wink:
Offline

jessmo112

Active Member

Active Member

  • Posts: 232
  • Joined: 16 Mar 2020, 02:09

Unread post14 Oct 2020, 04:01

Back to topic. Spazz id like your personal opinion on who is the #2 navy behind the USN. Will the very potent F-35B make up for the lack of Numbers Britian faces?
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 6913
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post14 Oct 2020, 04:03

jessmo112 wrote:Back to topic. Spazz id like your personal opinion on who is the #2 navy behind the USN. Will the very potent F-35B make up for the lack of Numbers Britian faces?



:thanks:
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 24792
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -2

Unread post14 Oct 2020, 05:27

Corsair1963 wrote:
jessmo112 wrote:Back to topic. Spazz id like your personal opinion on who is the #2 navy behind the USN. Will the very potent F-35B make up for the lack of Numbers Britian faces?

:thanks:

The question needs a context. Are we bearing in mind QE class may be carrying 36 F-35Bs - apiece - capiche? No contest.
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 24792
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -2

Unread post16 Oct 2020, 19:55

spazsinbad wrote:That an F-35B can STO at RN Max Take off weight has been mentioned a few times in appropriate threads. I guess it needs quoting again? Stand by to STANDBY. First quote is from an RAF URL no longer available but perhaps wayback machine?
"maximum weapon payload of 6 Paveway IV, 2 AIM-120C AMRAAM, 2 AIM-132 ASRAAM & a missionised 25mm gun pod [pod seen as future armament]" http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/f35join ... ighter.cfm

Another old official RAF 2013 reference to the F-35B gun pod as indicated.
Attachments
F-35BukRAF2013futureWeapons.gif
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber
Previous

Return to F-35 versus XYZ

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests