J-20 VERSUS F-35

The F-35 compared with other modern jets.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

Dragon029

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1361
  • Joined: 22 Dec 2014, 07:13

Unread post01 Aug 2018, 12:06

Some recent pictures showing how the J-20's EOTS is limited in FOV:

Image
Image
Offline
User avatar

element1loop

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1406
  • Joined: 31 Dec 2015, 05:35
  • Location: Australia

Unread post01 Aug 2018, 15:50

gta4 wrote:Lots of Chinese J-20 fanboys are enraged. They sped up J-20 maneuver video by 80% intentionally to compete against F-35, hoping no one had seen the original video. However, the original video was found, almost immediately.


LOL ... maybe dig up the J-31 Smokey 'n the Bandit video then do a little compare of the respective launch, initial climb, best turn, etc. Hard to explain away.
Accel + Alt + VLO + DAS + MDF + Radial Distance = LIFE . . . Always choose Stealth
Offline

gta4

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 909
  • Joined: 17 Oct 2010, 19:10
Offline
User avatar

ricnunes

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2529
  • Joined: 02 Mar 2017, 14:29

Unread post02 Aug 2018, 15:28

I could be wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if that J-20 "EOTS" is actually a "simple IRST" instead of something more comprehensive as we see in the F-35 (EOS/TGP+IRST).
The forward centered aspect of that thing could IMO indicate this.
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call ECM and pretend like it’s new.
Offline
User avatar

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 5526
  • Joined: 22 Jul 2005, 03:23

Unread post02 Aug 2018, 16:52

ricnunes wrote:I could be wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if that J-20 "EOTS" is actually a "simple IRST" instead of something more comprehensive as we see in the F-35 (EOS/TGP+IRST).
The forward centered aspect of that thing could IMO indicate this.


The F-35s IRST is mounted in a similar position. The J-20 also has the little windows for it's EOTS scattered about it's airframe as the F-35 does.
"There I was. . ."
Offline

SpudmanWP

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 8408
  • Joined: 12 Oct 2006, 19:18
  • Location: California

Unread post02 Aug 2018, 17:32

You are confusing EOTS with EODAS.

The EOTS in the F-35 is a single sensor in the nose and contains IRST/FLIR/LTP functions and can rotate in the full 360 to see anywhere in front of, to the side, and to the rear of the F-35 in the lower hemisphere (see pic for FOV). It has a very long range (> 50nm).

EODAS in the F-35 is comprised of 6 IIR sensors that allow for short range tracking of airborne objects, full 360 coverage, MLD/MAWS functions, BDA, etc.

The EOTS FOV:

Image


The six EODAS locations are:

Image
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."
Offline
User avatar

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 5526
  • Joined: 22 Jul 2005, 03:23

Unread post02 Aug 2018, 18:05

Didn't have the time to look up the acronyms. Thought they were saying the J-20 just had an IRST vs the F-35s full spherical coverage. The J-20 has an EODAS like the F-35. Re. the FOV of the IRST perhaps with the J-20 the intent is primarily air-to-air. :shrug:
"There I was. . ."
Offline

SpudmanWP

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 8408
  • Joined: 12 Oct 2006, 19:18
  • Location: California

Unread post02 Aug 2018, 18:15

I would agree that the J-20's IRST is primarily (if not entirely) for A2A functionality.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."
Offline

gta4

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 909
  • Joined: 17 Oct 2010, 19:10

Unread post03 Aug 2018, 02:06

And I would agree that F35's spherical coverage is better suited for A2A. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Offline
User avatar

Dragon029

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1361
  • Joined: 22 Dec 2014, 07:13

Unread post03 Aug 2018, 03:06

The J-20 still has its own spherical IR sensor suite as well. Whether or not it operates more like the DAS or the MLD is uncertain, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's more like the former.
Offline

weasel1962

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2054
  • Joined: 07 Jun 2012, 02:41
  • Location: Singapore

Unread post03 Aug 2018, 06:39

Offline

gta4

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 909
  • Joined: 17 Oct 2010, 19:10

Unread post03 Aug 2018, 07:21

How many.times do I nees to say this?
Those optical windows only prove that space are provided for installation, but nothing can prove that hardware is already installed and functional.
Offline
User avatar

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 5526
  • Joined: 22 Jul 2005, 03:23

Unread post03 Aug 2018, 13:01

gta4 wrote:How many.times do I nees to say this?
Those optical windows only prove that space are provided for installation, but nothing can prove that hardware is already installed and functional.


Are you saying you believe they put them there for show?
"There I was. . ."
Offline

gta4

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 909
  • Joined: 17 Oct 2010, 19:10

Unread post03 Aug 2018, 14:31

sferrin wrote:
gta4 wrote:How many.times do I nees to say this?
Those optical windows only prove that space are provided for installation, but nothing can prove that hardware is already installed and functional.


Are you saying you believe they put them there for show?

Not for permanant show, but could be empty for now.
Offline
User avatar

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 5526
  • Joined: 22 Jul 2005, 03:23

Unread post03 Aug 2018, 15:41

gta4 wrote:
sferrin wrote:
gta4 wrote:How many.times do I nees to say this?
Those optical windows only prove that space are provided for installation, but nothing can prove that hardware is already installed and functional.


Are you saying you believe they put them there for show?

Not for permanant show, but could be empty for now.


Could be but the intent is definitely to have a setup similar to the F-35. I certainly wouldn't discount them. China isn't Russia.
"There I was. . ."
PreviousNext

Return to F-35 versus XYZ

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests