M1.2 supercruise + DAS = invincible against Su-35

The F-35 compared with other modern jets.
  • Author

mikemag

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post04 Apr 2017, 10:24

I don't dispute any of that. But I can imagine an F-35 somewhere over the Pacific close to the limit of its combat radius. When that Su-35 shows up on radar and you have to chose between taking it down or being conservative with your fuel, the ability to supercruise might suddenly be pretty useful. I'm not saying it can't fight without supercruise - far from. Supercruise is just one additional ability that if it has its all the more lethal and if it doesn't have it's still awfully lethal without it.

quicksilver

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post04 Apr 2017, 11:53

mikemag wrote:I don't dispute any of that. But I can imagine an F-35 somewhere over the Pacific close to the limit of its combat radius. When that Su-35 shows up on radar and you have to chose between taking it down or being conservative with your fuel, the ability to supercruise might suddenly be pretty useful. I'm not saying it can't fight without supercruise - far from. Supercruise is just one additional ability that if it has its all the more lethal and if it doesn't have it's still awfully lethal without it.

Any number of hypothetical circumstances exist (similar to the one you present) for all combat aircraft regardless of top end speed. For example, "...I'm at no-shit tanker bingo overhead a TIC...I can't move the tanker track...do I stick around to deliver weapons (and run myself out of gas) or do I go to the tanker now? Hmmm...what transit speed did I assume to get there?"

As for kinematics, a weapon launched at a supersonic speed will enjoy all the kinematics of that speed regardless of whether or not the jet was in mil or ab; it doesn't matter.
Previous

Return to F-35 versus XYZ