F-35 vs F-22: who would get the first look?

The F-35 compared with other modern jets.

Location: Home of nuclear submarines, engines, and that's about it.

by white_lightning35 » 18 Sep 2016, 14:40

Hello everyone, I'm sorry if this question has been discussed here before but I have yet to see a consensus on it. So, I was wondering if the f-35 would detect the f-22 first simply because of EODAS. I know that the apg-77 has more t/r modules than the apg-81 but the apg-81 is newer, so I'm not sure which radar is better. I've heard the quote saying that the f-35 is stealthier in some respects than the f-22, but not as stealthy in others. This made me think that if they could detect each other at roughly the same time with their radars, would the f-35's EODAS see the f-22 from farther away than either plane's radar could?

Thanks in advance.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by garrya » 18 Sep 2016, 15:02

F-35 but likely with EOTS not EODAS

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 18 Sep 2016, 15:03

The F-35s Barracuda has jammed the APG-77. Without that the F-22 is blind. End of discussion. F-35 wins.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by blindpilot » 18 Sep 2016, 15:13

sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:The F-35s Barracuda has jammed the APG-77. Without that the F-22 is blind. End of discussion. F-35 wins.

"Without that the F-22 is blind" Not completely true. The F-22 has other passive sensors and cooperative conops, but when we speak of jamming, sensor operation, and such we tread into classified realms. When we do that ...

Those that know won't say, and those that say don't know. - and that's the end of the discussion

MHO
BP

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by count_to_10 » 18 Sep 2016, 16:22

The interesting thing is that the Raptor was built to be a predator, efficiently preying on inferior 4th gen aircraft. The fact that the F-35 is a bit more rounded means it has systems that might give it an edge against other 5th gen fighters. How it all pans out is going to be highly dependent on things not in the public domain, and is likely to depend greatly on circumstance.
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.

Uncertainty: Learn it, love it, live it.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 18 Sep 2016, 20:49

blindpilot wrote:
sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:The F-35s Barracuda has jammed the APG-77. Without that the F-22 is blind. End of discussion. F-35 wins.

"Without that the F-22 is blind" Not completely true. The F-22 has other passive sensors and cooperative conops, but when we speak of jamming, sensor operation, and such we tread into classified realms. When we do that ...

Those that know won't say, and those that say don't know. - and that's the end of the discussion

MHO
BP

You are of course right about there being classified information. Without access to the classified information we can only speculate on what we know. What we know is that if the APG-77 is jammed then the F-35 suite has an azimuth and elevation to send the signal. EOTS can follow that track to VID. Based on the unclassified information available the F-35 should win. I would be shocked if it was that simple but since I can't even begin to fathom the true nature of either plane I threw out an overly simplified anecdote for an overly simplified question.

I do not know. I am guessing.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

F-16.net Moderator
F-16.net Moderator

by Scorpion1alpha » 18 Sep 2016, 22:48

white_lightning35 wrote:Hello everyone, I'm sorry if this question has been discussed here before...

blindpilot wrote:Those that know won't say, and those that say don't know. - and that's the end of the discussion

Yep, end of discussion.
I'm watching...