Operational Performace Comparison: Viper, Beagle, and Stubby

The F-35 compared with other modern jets.
  • Author

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post06 Oct 2019, 23:22

eloise wrote:
sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:That chart was for the Meteor. I haven't changed that other than general guidance changes made across the board.

HARMs top speed is 2 Mach so base on their relative motor length and size, can your simulator estimate AARGM-ER top speed?. Let say it can't, your educated guess is good enough for me

My sim can do guided and unguided bombs, but not AG missiles at the moment. Given the increase in range and much faster looking body design I think it goes a bit faster but also burns for longer. A complete WAG though.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer

knowan

Unread post07 Oct 2019, 17:12

garrya wrote:I have some relevant charts from declassified documents and Mig-29 manual:

R-27P envelope:

R-27ER envelope:

AIM-7 envelope:

AIM-120A/B envelope:
Edited for clearer view:

RVV-AE/R-77 envelope:

Overlap R-77 and AIM-120A envelope:

Spurt is right, AIM-120A has 30% better range than R-77, no wonder Russian so hesitant to replace R-27 with R-77 and Indian want to replace R-77 with Derby

Could you explain those charts for me, particularly how the R-27 charts compare with the AIM-7, AIM-120 and R-77 charts?

garrya

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post08 Oct 2019, 05:20

knowan wrote:Could you explain those charts for me, particularly how the R-27 charts compare with the AIM-7, AIM-120 and R-77 charts?

For R-27ER and R-27P charts
_ H represents altitude, you can see the have some number with some pointer at the circle, they have 3 altitude marks: 1km -5km-10 km. I highlight these in red color
_ The lines cutting into the circle represents the aspect of the target relative to the shooter, start from the left with 0° meaning it is the head on aspect, end on the right with 180° meaning it is the tail chase situation. I highlight those in purple
_ The horizontal scale at the bottom and the vertical scale in the middle of the chart represent engagement distance. I highlight those in Green
_ The dotted circle represent range when both shooter and target are flying at 1100 km/h, the full circle represent range when shooter and target are both flying at 900 km/h
1F1FC9F0-52BD-4E82-B9A4-707D3AC05B67.png

For R-77,AIM-120A, AIM-7 charts
_ The vertical scale in the middle is the height
_ The horizontal scale at the bottom is range, on the right is head on, on the left is tail chase.
_ They have a little table showing V-max and V-min for each altitude. You can see that higher V-max improve head on range but reduce tail chase range. There is a slight different here, they use m/s instead of km/h like in these R-27 charts
2E3A36EB-4D58-455B-AEEC-F46A047839DF.png

n3sk

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post08 Oct 2019, 15:28

Relating to this. https://www.iaeme.com/MasterAdmin/uploa ... 06_026.pdf

One thing I do not see mentioned is the position of the control surfaces in these model tests. Did they move the controls surfaces to be accurate with the changes in AoA and if so to what degree?

Also, what aispeed does the water flow replicate or relate to?

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post08 Oct 2019, 16:48

n3sk wrote:One thing I do not see mentioned is the position of the control surfaces in these model tests. Did they move the controls surfaces to be accurate with the changes in AoA and if so to what degree?

That was my thought as well. I suspect they did not.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer

gta4

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post11 Oct 2019, 04:02

n3sk wrote:Relating to this. https://www.iaeme.com/MasterAdmin/uploa ... 06_026.pdf

One thing I do not see mentioned is the position of the control surfaces in these model tests. Did they move the controls surfaces to be accurate with the changes in AoA and if so to what degree?

Also, what aispeed does the water flow replicate or relate to?

Normally they do not move control surfaces, because it should be stated otherwise. It will decrease the aerodynamic efficiency for both aircraft, so only the trend should be noted, not specific numbers.

garrya

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post14 Oct 2019, 03:44

basher54321 wrote:You can see in that old Doc posted again from swiss how good the upgraded 66 might have been:

During the field trials on a BAC-1-11 test aircraft, the APG-66(V)2’s performance surpassed expectations; it was possible to demonstrate the radar in the high electromagnetic interference environment of the Netherlands and in the high clutter environment of the fjords of Norway. According to company officials, the demonstration radar doubled range detection, reduced false alarms by a factor of 10, and simulated six AMRAAM shots. Ground mapping was improved and demonstrated out to 80 nautical miles, and the buyers had the opportunity to see the full-color display. In demonstrations to other potential buyers, engineers emphasized design maturity and growth potential. The upgraded radar’s performance was nearly that of the APG-68(V) installed in the F-16C/D,

I found this chart a while back, APG-68v2 and v3 is still a little bit better than APG-66v2 and v3
APG.PNG

APG2.PNG

swiss

Unread post14 Oct 2019, 15:53

Nice find garrya. And thanks for your explanation about the missile charts :thumb:

garrya

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post15 Oct 2019, 02:14

swiss wrote:Nice find garrya. And thanks for your explanation about the missile charts :thumb:

You are welcome.
BTW, does anyone have higher resolution version of this:
APG-66A.gif

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post15 Oct 2019, 02:29

Tried to make it better from the poor quality image above....
Attachments
APG-66 F-16A Radar.gif
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber
Previous

Return to F-35 versus XYZ