F-35A versus Saab Gripen NG

The F-35 compared with other modern jets.
Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by optimist » 28 Mar 2020, 10:50

In addition, the Sea Gripen incorporates Gripen´s aptitude for active service in the field with easy maintenance. An engine change is completed in less than an hour in the field and no need for external power. With an operational flight hour cost of around $4000, the aircraft is an ideal match for naval requirements. Additionally, Gripen is, by an order of magnitude, the lowest cost latest generation fighter available today. The rugged Sea Gripen design will allow for 30 - 40 years of use, depending upon flying rates imposed by the user nation.

heck, I'm convinced. It's on the SAAB website, it has to be true. F-16 is $25,541 CPFH and far too expensive. When a Gripen is only $4,000. Just another reason why the world is beating a path to their door.
Europe's fighters been decided. Not a Eurocanard, it's the F-35 (or insert derogatory term) Count the European countries with it.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by ricnunes » 28 Mar 2020, 14:06

spazsinbad wrote:
Saab Sea Gripen – The Future Of Carrier Borne Air Power

Ah! There's nothing like waking up in a Saturday morning just to read some gold comedy! :mrgreen:
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call EW and pretend like it’s new.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 28 Mar 2020, 14:20

Dumb question: If the Tejas is an option to fulfill the Indian fighter requirement, why not Gripen?

While more expensive, Gripen would seem to have it all over Tejas in some key areas and is far less expensive than Rafale. While not $4000, it's CPFH is likely a lot less than some others, like the new heavyweight entries SU-35 and F-15EX. Gripen + Meteor would also seem to be the answer needed to deal with PAK JF-17's and new Chinese AAM's.

Assuming SAAB will agree to technology transfers, etc - why not? It won't be as capable in most areas as a Flanker, SH or F-15EX but unless India plans on using it outside of IN/PAK.. it doesn't need to be. So.... thoughts?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by ricnunes » 28 Mar 2020, 15:18

mixelflick wrote:Dumb question: If the Tejas is an option to fulfill the Indian fighter requirement, why not Gripen?

One thing is the Gripen which operates from land bases but another completely different thing is the Sea Gripen which should operate from carriers. And if I'm not mistaken it's the last one (Sea Gripen) that we're talking here.
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call EW and pretend like it’s new.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by botsing » 28 Mar 2020, 17:03

spazsinbad wrote:"...Operational Costs
Based on open statistics from the Swedish Air Force, the calculated cost per flying hour is approximately 4,000 USD including fuel....

What if SAAB got really creative and in their CPFH calculations added special things to actually subtract money from the total amount?

Like the pilots making some extra cash by smuggling stuff? Or maybe they make some side-money by dumping toxic waste? :mrgreen:

Original CPFH for the Gripen E: $28,000
Final CPFH for the Gripen E when it makes extra cash by dumping toxic waste into the ocean (all including fuel): $4,000

With this SAAB fella you have to be very careful when it states a number.
"Those who know don’t talk. Those who talk don’t know"

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 28 Mar 2020, 17:16

spazsinbad wrote:As one wanders (or wonders?) through the hourglass in the sands of time, looking just looking I found another reference first noted here in this thread two? years ago now: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=11311&p=387871&hilit=borne#p387871
Saab Sea Gripen – The Future Of Carrier Borne Air Power
06 mayo 2013 Historia

"...Operational Costs
Based on open statistics from the Swedish Air Force, the calculated cost per flying hour is approximately 4,000 USD including fuel....

Source: https://saab.com/es/region/india/about- ... air-power/

I admire their restraint in not pitching the Space Gripen.

to the moon and back at 4,000 an hour...
Choose Crews

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by ricnunes » 28 Mar 2020, 17:18

botsing wrote:What if SAAB got really creative and in their CPFH calculations added special things to actually subtract money from the total amount?

Like the pilots making some extra cash by smuggling stuff? Or maybe they make some side-money by dumping toxic waste? :mrgreen:

Original CPFH for the Gripen E: $28,000
Final CPFH for the Gripen E when it makes extra cash by dumping toxic waste into the ocean (all including fuel): $4,000

With this SAAB fella you have to be very careful when it states a number.

LoL, they could use the Gripen E's extra internal tanks to smuggle Coke (do not to confuse with Coca-Cola) :mrgreen:

XanderCrews wrote:I admire their restraint in not pitching the Space Gripen.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by weasel1962 » 28 Mar 2020, 22:15

mixelflick wrote:Dumb question: If the Tejas is an option to fulfill the Indian fighter requirement, why not Gripen?

Cos they need to localise it first. LM marketing is superior e.g F-21. grigpen IN just doesn't cut it. The Swedes need to rename it to something sounding Indian like Gouda, which is more difficult than it seems. Gouda being horse in Hindi could be mistaken as cheese by the Swiss...

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by optimist » 28 Mar 2020, 22:56

There are some funny ones
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/311 ... -languages

PooPoo smoothies
Pee cola
Lumina meaning prostitute
Europe's fighters been decided. Not a Eurocanard, it's the F-35 (or insert derogatory term) Count the European countries with it.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by ricnunes » 28 Mar 2020, 23:27

optimist wrote:There are some funny ones
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/311 ... -languages

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

It's been a while since I haven't had such a hard laugh!
I specially 'glanced' at:

Megapussi

(only 'better' than this would be to replace the 'i' with a 'y')

P.S - If one day I go to Finland I'll want to eat a Megapussi while having my Siri assistant "at hand" :mrgreen:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 31 Mar 2020, 19:37

DRUM ROLL PLEASE....
Saab commences production of first Brazilian Gripen F
27 Mar 2020 Greg Waldron

"Saab has cut metal on the first two-seat Gripen F for the Brazilian air force. The first part cut for the aircraft will form part of the jet’s air duct section, just behind the fighter’s cockpit, says Saab.

“This milestone is important for the Gripen project because it demonstrates that the development phase is proceeding properly,” says Colonel Renato Leite, head of the Monitoring and Control Group (GAC-Saab) at the Brazilian Air Force.

“This signals the beginning of the production of the two-seater aircraft, Gripen F, which is much anticipated by the Brazilian Air Force.” The two-seat version of the fighter will have two modes: a training mode for the tuition of one crew member, and a mode in which the crew share the workload with different display settings…."

VIDEO at Source also.

Source: https://www.flightglobal.com/fixed-wing ... 72.article

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by optimist » 31 Mar 2020, 21:48

it's all happening.
https://www.flightglobal.com/defence/gr ... 55.article
Saab’s Gripen E test fleet recently passed the combined 300 flight hour milestone, the company says, as the programme moves into more advanced territory.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 31 Mar 2020, 22:12

:devil: Note the date: 01 April 2020 :doh:

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by optimist » 31 Mar 2020, 23:25

If I was a cruel man. I'd say it's always April fools day for Gripen :poke:

by lipovitand » 06 Apr 2020, 20:10

Questions:

Why does Gripen has such "good" reputation? how did all this started? Is it one of those loude minority that keep boasting it?

I have spoken to pilots and maintenance crew on F35 and got a pretty good idea of what it is. Gripen, not so much.

Im not new user btw, Ive been lurking for about 3+ years now and had read 3 others thread on Gripen.

PreviousNext