F-35A versus Saab Gripen NG

The F-35 compared with other modern jets.
  • Author

ricnunes

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post07 Jun 2019, 14:56

loke wrote:
Indian Air Force chief Air Chief Marshal BS Dhanoa is heading to Sweden on a four-day visit beginning Monday, an IAF spokesperson said.
He said the air chief will visit a slew of operational and training units and also interact with top officials of the Swedish Air Force. “The visit would provide an impetus to defence cooperation and pave the way for greater interaction and cooperation between the two air forces,” the spokesperson added.

India and Sweden concluded a security protection agreement in February 2019 in order to share classified information with each other, in a sign of deepening military cooperation. Interestingly, Swedish Company SAAB is a contender in the Indian Air Force’s multi-billion dollar 114 fighter aircraft programme. Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman had visited Sweden in February this year.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... yT53N.html

Did they not read the posts by mr XanderCrews? Don't they know that Saab are just lying and lying and lying and there is absolutely nothing to see in Sweden? Only paper planes? :wink:

I must admit that I'm disappointed to only see XanderCrews mentioned above and not me as well... :mrgreen:

This reminds me of Canada often not getting credit for the D-Day operations (only Americans and British often do) when the Canadians were responsible of landing in one (1) of the five (5) beaches (Juno beach) during D-Day while the Americans were responsible for two of them (Omaha and Utah) and the British the remaining two (Gold and Sword).
But hey, I'm Canadian so that must be the reason why I wasn't credited as well! :mrgreen:
A 4th/4.5th gen fighter aircraft stands about as much chance against a F-35 as a guns-only Sabre has against a Viper.

SpudmanWP

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post07 Jun 2019, 15:01

Who is this "Canada" you speak of?
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

prof.566

Unread post07 Jun 2019, 15:02

ricnunes wrote:
loke wrote:
Indian Air Force chief Air Chief Marshal BS Dhanoa is heading to Sweden on a four-day visit beginning Monday, an IAF spokesperson said.
He said the air chief will visit a slew of operational and training units and also interact with top officials of the Swedish Air Force. “The visit would provide an impetus to defence cooperation and pave the way for greater interaction and cooperation between the two air forces,” the spokesperson added.

India and Sweden concluded a security protection agreement in February 2019 in order to share classified information with each other, in a sign of deepening military cooperation. Interestingly, Swedish Company SAAB is a contender in the Indian Air Force’s multi-billion dollar 114 fighter aircraft programme. Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman had visited Sweden in February this year.

Did they not read the posts by mr XanderCrews? Don't they know that Saab are just lying and lying and lying and there is absolutely nothing to see in Sweden? Only paper planes? :wink:

I must admit that I'm disappointed to only see XanderCrews mentioned above and not me as well... :mrgreen:

This reminds me of Canada often not getting credit for the D-Day operations (only Americans and British often do) when the Canadians were responsible of landing in one (1) of the five (5) beaches (Juno beach) during D-Day while the Americans were responsible for two of them (Omaha and Utah) and the British the remaining two (Gold and Sword).
But hey, I'm Canadian so that must be the reason why I wasn't credited as well! :mrgreen:

Wrong, first landing was done at 0.30 am by third SAS in britanny .Nevermind, history and you... (whatever respect to canadian soldiers)

Finally, i'm no fan of SAAB, but bold accusations about lying should be documented.

SpudmanWP

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post07 Jun 2019, 15:05

He was not saying that they were the "1st", only that they assaulted 1 of the 5 beaches.

prof.566

Unread post07 Jun 2019, 15:09

F18 and F15? Are you sure?
Btw i was recently in Payerne. How do you think the local evaluation team did consider F-35 arriving with 4 planes for 8 test flights while the other came with 2???

ricnunes

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post07 Jun 2019, 15:14

prof.566 wrote:
Wrong, first landing was done at 0.30 am by third SAS in britanny .Nevermind, history and you... (whatever respect to canadian soldiers)

Finally, i'm no fan of SAAB, but bold accusations about lying should be documented.

LoL! Did you know that Juno Beach was located in Normandy (and not in Britanny!), or more precisely north of Caen??

Here educate yourself:

Nevermind, geography and you... :doh:

(and perhaps such replies as yours above should be documented as well for posterity :roll: )
A 4th/4.5th gen fighter aircraft stands about as much chance against a F-35 as a guns-only Sabre has against a Viper.

ricnunes

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post07 Jun 2019, 15:17

SpudmanWP wrote:He was not saying that they were the "1st", only that they assaulted 1 of the 5 beaches.

Precisely! :thumb:

SpudmanWP wrote:Who is this "Canada" you speak of?

Canadian Forces, this case troops or more precisely Canadian Army (this case a Division). Yes, I was very generic about the usage of "Canada" name as opposed to "Canadians" or "Canadian troops/army". Sorry :wink:
Last edited by ricnunes on 07 Jun 2019, 15:23, edited 2 times in total.

XanderCrews

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post07 Jun 2019, 15:21

ricnunes wrote:
loke wrote:

:

Speaking of mentioning the Indian AF man is there to connect with other Swedish higher ups, and tour bases and training squadrons, since the Gripen E is NOT IN SERVICE, only one sentence, speaking about Indias possible need for a new fighter seems relevant to this thread at all.

One wonders why it was mentioned, but when you have this much news coming out about this uber successful program little stuff like this is given a lot of attention I guess?
Choose Crews

SpudmanWP

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post07 Jun 2019, 15:29

ricnunes wrote:Canadian Forces, this case troops or more precisely Canadian Army
Oh.... "That" Canada.

loke

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post07 Jun 2019, 18:10

Xander, you never fail to deliver.

Of course the Indian Air Force guy did not go to Sweden to look at Gripen E. As you rightly point out only the prototypes are currently flying. The main purpose of the mission is to connect with the Swedish air force. For India, it makes absolutely logical sense to connect with Sweden, after all it's in the neighbourhood, and Sweden and India have a lot in common (same culture, same climate, same language, etc). In addition, both countries are also BRICSS countries...

:wink:

viper12

Unread post07 Jun 2019, 20:23

prof.566 wrote:Wrong, first landing was done at 0.30 am by third SAS in britanny .Nevermind, history and you... (whatever respect to canadian soldiers)

Finer understanding of English should be a requirement on these forums...
Everytime you don't tell the facts, you make Putin stronger.

Everytime you're hit by Dunning-Kruger, you make Putin stronger.

loke

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post07 Jun 2019, 20:38

viper12 wrote:
prof.566 wrote:Wrong, first landing was done at 0.30 am by third SAS in britanny .Nevermind, history and you... (whatever respect to canadian soldiers)

covfefe. Bigly.

XanderCrews

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post07 Jun 2019, 20:42

loke wrote:Xander, you never fail to deliver.

Of course the Indian Air Force guy did not go to Sweden to look at Gripen E. As you rightly point out only the prototypes are currently flying. The main purpose of the mission is to connect with the Swedish air force. For India, it makes absolutely logical sense to connect with Sweden, after all it's in the neighbourhood, and Sweden and India have a lot in common (same culture, same climate, same language, etc). In addition, both countries are also BRICSS countries...

:wink:

So where is the news? I can't stress enough that I've been seeing crumbs from this program for over 10 years and want something with some substance.

loke wrote:
viper12 wrote:

covfefe. Bigly.

6th generation. supercruise.

and other inventions
Choose Crews

XanderCrews

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post07 Jun 2019, 20:48

swiss wrote:About cost for Gripen and F-35

There was a good article in a swiss newspaper comparing System Price for F-35 ( Belgium, Netherlands ect) vs Gripen price offered to Switzerland. And its seems the F-35 could be even cheaper then the NG.

https://translate.google.ch/translate?h ... 9h0RnNVfAE

has anyone tried to make an inexpensive light fighter that doesn't cost so much as an F-35? perhaps Saab in Sweden? Maybe they can even base it off a legacy platform...
Choose Crews

loke

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post07 Jun 2019, 20:53

Xander you are exceeding expectations...

Let's make a bet: I bet 4 bottles/glasses of beer that the Gripen E will be delivered (almost) on time to the Swedish and Brazilian air force, and that it will exceed your expectations...

Beers will be delivered in Oslo, Norway only ;)
PreviousNext

Return to F-35 versus XYZ