Bomb Racks For The F-35

Unread postPosted: 18 Jun 2007, 14:35
by elp
Anyone have any ( obviously public ) info on what bomb racks will be used for external carry of stations 2&10 and 3&9?

I would be real interested in this as it seems there is a lot of potential here for a BRU-57 twin smart rack or similar product. Although I would be curious about this as if there is clearance enough to have BRU-57 on all four of those? or just for example 3&9.

This should interest everyone as lets say a bug hunt in a Iraq scenario today, where a 500 pound weapon ( or even the detuned BLU-126 ) in the form of a laser-JDAM GBU-38, One would think that counting internal stores, a JTAC would be very happy to see a two ship F-35 team show up with lots of these weapons hung.

Just curious.

Some potential non stealth bug hunt loadouts could be as much as:

Internal
2 AMRAAM
8 SDBII or 2 GBU-38 laser JDAM
External assuming full BRU-57_like ability
8 GBU-38 laser JDAM
Leave stations 1 and 11 clean.

Re: Bomb Racks For The F-35

Unread postPosted: 22 Jun 2007, 18:25
by dwightlooi
elp wrote:Anyone have any ( obviously public ) info on what bomb racks will be used for external carry of stations 2&10 and 3&9?

I would be real interested in this as it seems there is a lot of potential here for a BRU-57 twin smart rack or similar product. Although I would be curious about this as if there is clearance enough to have BRU-57 on all four of those? or just for example 3&9.

This should interest everyone as lets say a bug hunt in a Iraq scenario today, where a 500 pound weapon ( or even the detuned BLU-126 ) in the form of a laser-JDAM GBU-38, One would think that counting internal stores, a JTAC would be very happy to see a two ship F-35 team show up with lots of these weapons hung.

Just curious.

Some potential non stealth bug hunt loadouts could be as much as:

Internal
2 AMRAAM
8 GBU-38 laser JDAM

There is more clearance than on an F-16/18 so the BRU-57 should be NP. The BRU-61 (SDB x 4 rack) will be used externally and internally.

Unread postPosted: 24 Oct 2019, 05:18
by weasel1962

Unread postPosted: 24 Oct 2019, 10:00
by ricnunes
elp wrote:Some potential non stealth bug hunt loadouts could be as much as:

Internal
2 AMRAAM
8 GBU-38 laser JDAM

Why leave stations 1 and 11 clean?
I would say that in such configuration above (non-stealth) loading stations 1 and 11 with AIM-9X (or ASRAAM) would be a major plus either for self-defense against any pop-up/close-in aerial threat and/or to engage any aerial target of opportunity such as an enemy helicopter.
Moreover such weapons (AIM-9X/ASRAAM) are light weight so they shouldn't hamper the aircraft's performance at least not significantly.

Unread postPosted: 24 Oct 2019, 13:13
by madrat
dwightlooi wrote:There is more clearance than on an F-16/18 so the BRU-57 should be NP. The BRU-61 (SDB x 4 rack) will be used externally and internally.

Rebirth of MER?

Unread postPosted: 24 Oct 2019, 15:51
by botsing
weasel1962 wrote:Nice racks - Ѡeasel

:mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: 27 Oct 2019, 20:40
by usnvo
When the BRU-70/A DITER was first fit to the AV-8B, the were comments to the fact it would also be fit to the F-35B. Not sure if that is a workable plan or just wishful thinking.

Unread postPosted: 28 Oct 2019, 21:48
by operaaperta
Not bomb racks but does anyone know if these photos are authentic and what racks/weapons are employed?

Unread postPosted: 28 Oct 2019, 22:14
by sprstdlyscottsmn
The Brimstone missile and it's unique TER, it looks like.

Unread postPosted: 29 Oct 2019, 00:20
by spazsinbad
'operaaperta ' Information about source/URL of the 'F-35 brimstone' photos would be very helpful don't you think? Thanks.

Unread postPosted: 29 Oct 2019, 00:44
by eloise
operaaperta wrote:Not bomb racks but does anyone know if these photos are authentic and what racks/weapons are employed?

It fake, pts.
In your photo missiles have no separation after launch and the exhaust is too bright from brimstone

Unread postPosted: 29 Oct 2019, 00:52
by Dragon029
It's from the newest Ace Combat I'm pretty sure; those Brimstone pylons exist for other platforms and there's no reason they couldn't be used on the F-35, but Brimstone / SPEAR 3 isn't integrated yet and it's possible that the UK might only be settling for internal carriage (of 8x SPEAR 3), similar to the current situation with the GBU-39.

Unread postPosted: 29 Oct 2019, 03:30
by operaaperta
operaaperta ' Information about source/URL of the 'F-35 brimstone' photos would be very helpful don't you think? Thanks.

It came from a Japanese post on the F35 Twitter feed. By the time I had saved the pics and gone back to translate the text in the feed it had disappeared. Based on the replies above I’m going with it being a screenshot from a game

Unread postPosted: 29 Oct 2019, 04:01
by spazsinbad
OK - fair enough - I understand. Thanks for letting us know details.

Unread postPosted: 31 Oct 2019, 00:10
by squirrelshoes
elp wrote:This should interest everyone as lets say a bug hunt in a Iraq scenario today, where a 500 pound weapon ( or even the detuned BLU-126 ) in the form of a laser-JDAM GBU-38, One would think that counting internal stores, a JTAC would be very happy to see a two ship F-35 team show up with lots of these weapons hung.

I'd think they'd be even happier with all SDB2s, each aircraft could potentially stomp 24 bugs.

Unread postPosted: 31 Oct 2019, 06:07
by weasel1962
F-35 "bug spray". Chemical free repellant.

Unread postPosted: 06 Jan 2020, 03:25
by steve2267
How many SDB's can an F-35 carry now internally + externally? (Ala beast mode -- maybe not max tonnage, but max number of munitions.)

I seem to recall A-7 images from my youth where there were six Mk82 on one pylon station: dual triple ejector racks. Is there any plan for an F-35 to be able to carry dual TER's? Multiple 500lb JDAMs (asuming the JDAMs would fit on a TER?) could be useful for a JTAC. I think the OP some twelve or more years prior asked about it, but not sure there was a definitive answer. An F-35 with eight SDB I/II's internally, and twelve or more 500lb JDAMs externally would be like a mini-Bone in the CAS role. (Not a VLO configuration, obviously.)

Unread postPosted: 06 Jan 2020, 04:27
by weasel1962
24 SDBs on each F-35 (8 internal, 16 external). Only remaining hurdle is the B which needs a redesigned BRU for internal SDB carriage.

Will the MER (BRU-41) end with the navy's legacy hornets/harriers? 6 bombs on a single rack is impressive even if obsolete with PGMs.

Don't think the BRU-55 or BRU-42 have been integrated yet on the F-35 so its still single (not dual or triple) JDAM carriage for now. There's always the "obsolete" F-15s with 12 LJDAMs on the CFT stations for CAS and generic tactical carpet bombing.

Unread postPosted: 14 Oct 2020, 03:40
by spazsinbad
VMFA-314 F-35C hot loading of weapons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPdCJDAzsaw