F-35 Eglin pod on port wing.

Unread postPosted: 08 Mar 2019, 19:28
by n3sk
@ 12:18pm I saw an F-35 heading north over Fort Walton beach extremely low with some sort of a pod on the starboard wing. I’ve been watching F 35’s in the air around here for years and it’s the first time I’ve seen one with any thing external.

Any who, what was that?

Re: F-35 Eglin pod on port wing.

Unread postPosted: 08 Mar 2019, 19:54
by citanon
Pierre Sprey being finally given a test flight....

Unread postPosted: 08 Mar 2019, 20:43
by tomcattech
citanon wrote:Pierre Sprey being finally given a test flight....

Nice... 8)

Unread postPosted: 08 Mar 2019, 20:54
by fbw
Travel pod?

Think there would be some documentation if a new podded sensor had been integrated.

Unread postPosted: 08 Mar 2019, 21:23
by ricnunes
So, travel pod with Pierre Sprey inside? :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: 08 Mar 2019, 21:48
by steve2267
n3sk wrote:@ 12:18pm I saw an F-35 heading north over Fort Walton beach extremely low with some sort of a pod on the starboard wing. I’ve been watching F 35’s in the air around here for years and it’s the first time I’ve seen one with any thing external.

Any who, what was that?

On what wing station was this "pod" mounted?

If it was the outermost wing station on the starboard wing, where one would expect an AIM-9X, then perhaps it was some sort of air-to-air / air-to-ground instrumentation pod. Or... could it have been a captive (i.e. inert) AIM-9X used for IIR seeker integration for training purposes?

Unread postPosted: 08 Mar 2019, 23:47
by juretrn
citanon wrote:Pierre Sprey.

ricnunes wrote:Pierre Sprey.

Let it go already, Sprey hasn't made a peep in years.

Unread postPosted: 09 Mar 2019, 03:25
by n3sk
lol!!!!! I still say the Murder Turkey just in spite. Plus it sticks with the bird theme. Falcon Eagle Raptor... Murder Turkey

I would guess out board. Other thing he lowered his gear early. They fly over a couple times a day and have for the last few years, this guy was low, super quiet, external pod, and lowered gear right before breaking right

I was wondering if he was playing radar games and lowered gear to give away position?

Unread postPosted: 09 Mar 2019, 04:58
by squirrelshoes
juretrn wrote:Let it go already, Sprey hasn't made a peep in years.

July 2017:

https://sputniknews.com/military/201707 ... ensive-uk/
Furthermore, the F-35B would be "lucky to put in half an hour over troops in loiter time,” Pierre remarked. "The maneuverability is terrible, the range is terrible, the payload is terrible," he continued. And due to the lack of maneuverability the F-35’s air-to-air capability is "zilch."

Unread postPosted: 09 Mar 2019, 05:35
by steve2267
squirrelshoes wrote:
juretrn wrote:Let it go already, Sprey hasn't made a peep in years.

July 2017:

https://sputniknews.com/military/201707 ... ensive-uk/
Furthermore, the F-35B would be "lucky to put in half an hour over troops in loiter time,” Pierre remarked. "The maneuverability is terrible, the range is terrible, the payload is terrible," he continued. And due to the lack of maneuverability the F-35’s air-to-air capability is "zilch."

Lt Col Chip Berke, USMC (Ret), dismantled Sprey in the Aviation Week podcast(s), Checksix. The last podcast was on Jul 23, 2017. I don't think we've heard from Sprey since Berke handed Sprey his a$$.

Unread postPosted: 09 Mar 2019, 05:45
by Dragon029
steve2267 wrote:
n3sk wrote:@ 12:18pm I saw an F-35 heading north over Fort Walton beach extremely low with some sort of a pod on the starboard wing. I’ve been watching F 35’s in the air around here for years and it’s the first time I’ve seen one with any thing external.

Any who, what was that?

On what wing station was this "pod" mounted?

If it was the outermost wing station on the starboard wing, where one would expect an AIM-9X, then perhaps it was some sort of air-to-air / air-to-ground instrumentation pod. Or... could it have been a captive (i.e. inert) AIM-9X used for IIR seeker integration for training purposes?

This; also as for travel pods, it's been mentioned that there aren't any currently certified for flight, but that there's a decent amount of storage space behind the seat. Really though, if it's a test jet it could be anything.

Unread postPosted: 09 Mar 2019, 05:54
by steve2267
Dragon029 wrote:
This; also as for travel pods, it's been mentioned that there aren't any currently certified for flight, but that there's a decent amount of storage space behind the seat. Really though, if it's a test jet it could be anything.

Description of said pod is still somewhat lacking. I have not heard a definitive statement by the question poster if it was an outboard AIM-9X station or not. For all I know, it could have been the centerline gunpod, which most people would probably not recognized.

I would think they would stick a travel pod inside a weps bay, out of the way. But who knows. Maybe the temps in there are too high for shaving cream.

Unread postPosted: 09 Mar 2019, 15:33
by juretrn
Has a travel pod been certified to be carried by the F-35 at all?

Unread postPosted: 10 Mar 2019, 02:00
by n3sk
My position was not optimum, He was about 500-100ft west headed north and did not dirtely over fly. I DO NOT posses a degree in aeronautical engineering,my descriptions are going to be in the simplest of terms. Looked larger than a 120 smaller than a wing tank. Kinda boxy, did not look like a standard round bomb.

What originally caught my attention was how low and quiet he was, normally they are very loud. Seeing what appeared to be an unclean aircraft then it lowered the gear, Which I have never seen do at that point i the years of multiple over flights, a couple times a day. They normally wait till the down wind leg to lower gear, and normally make a pass or two down the feild for grins. I have seen it many times so I do not believe I am mixing up the gear going down as I noticed the gear 8-10 seconds later right before he was ablout to go behind the tree line but banked right and headed east.

Any who, just curious and figure if I can see it, it can’t be too important.

Unread postPosted: 10 Mar 2019, 02:46
by spazsinbad
I was not there however perhaps the left main gear door was unable to close (after takeoff or touch and go) whilst this aircraft flew by the tower at slow speed (quietly) for tower to confirm the problem and then the pilot lowers the gear (all is green) to land full stop for problem to be sorted? So no real emergency - gear down & locked - just a gear door prob.

Unread postPosted: 10 Mar 2019, 06:59
by Dragon029
juretrn wrote:Has a travel pod been certified to be carried by the F-35 at all?

Dragon029 wrote:This; also as for travel pods, it's been mentioned that there aren't any currently certified for flight, but that there's a decent amount of storage space behind the seat.

Unread postPosted: 10 Mar 2019, 10:46
by n3sk
Keep an eye out if I see it again, I’ll pop back by

Unread postPosted: 13 Mar 2019, 22:27
by n3sk
All right at 4:20 a f-35 I believe it was a navy version flew over with something on each wing. I got a good look this time. Long and skinny. Stuck out past the leading and trailing edge

Unread postPosted: 13 Mar 2019, 22:31
by steve2267
n3sk wrote:All right at 4:20 a f-35 I believe it was a navy version flew over with something on each wing. I got a good look this time. Long and skinny. Stuck out past the leading and trailing edge

How close to the wing tips were these long and skinny objects?

Unread postPosted: 13 Mar 2019, 22:59
by n3sk
Mid wing and about 2o minutes later, one seemed to be missing??? Not sure if it was the same jet, I am only using the naked eye. There has been a lot of traffic in the last few days. Been a pleasure watching.

Unread postPosted: 14 Mar 2019, 00:34
by durahawk
Dragon029 wrote:
juretrn wrote:Has a travel pod been certified to be carried by the F-35 at all?

Dragon029 wrote:This; also as for travel pods, it's been mentioned that there aren't any currently certified for flight, but that there's a decent amount of storage space behind the seat.

All US A models can carry travel pods. They go on stations 4 and 8 though so definitely not the observed store.

Unread postPosted: 14 Mar 2019, 00:40
by SpudmanWP
For those of you who don't already know....

Unread postPosted: 14 Mar 2019, 01:06
by steve2267
n3sk wrote:All right at 4:20 a f-35 I believe it was a navy version flew over with something on each wing. I got a good look this time. Long and skinny. Stuck out past the leading and trailing edge

n3sk wrote:Mid wing and about 2o minutes later, one seemed to be missing??? Not sure if it was the same jet, I am only using the naked eye. There has been a lot of traffic in the last few days. Been a pleasure watching.

Long and skinny... midwing... sticks out past the leading and trailing edge...

Where is this? Down near Eglin?

If I didn't know any better... I wonder if he wasn't seeing some sort of separation testing for the 5000lb GBU-28 on stations 3 & 9.

Unread postPosted: 14 Mar 2019, 01:27
by n3sk
10 and 2 I think. You have me wanting to pull out my cannon camera to give a better description.

Unread postPosted: 14 Mar 2019, 01:33
by spazsinbad
n3sk wrote:10 and 2 I think. You have me wanting to pull out my cannon camera to give a better description.

Now THAT will be helpful. :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: 14 Mar 2019, 02:48
by steve2267
n3sk wrote:10 and 2 I think. You have me wanting to pull out my cannon camera to give a better description.

Yes please!

Unread postPosted: 14 Mar 2019, 03:41
by SpudmanWP
Without seeing anything..

1st thought, JASSM
2nd thought, EFT

Unread postPosted: 14 Mar 2019, 05:07
by steve2267
SpudmanWP wrote:Without seeing anything..

1st thought, JASSM

Long and skinny?

SpudmanWP wrote:2nd thought, EFT

"But 20 minutes later one seemed to be missing" ? If true... they punched one off? I mean, I suppose it's possible in the course of qualifying it they would punch one off and fly assymetrically... but I would think that sort of testing would occur at Edwards?

Wasn't Eglin the birthplace of the GBU-28? And don't they do a lot of weapex @ Eglin?

I dunno. I'm scratching my head at this point. "Long and skinny", extending beyond the leading and trailing edges of the wing... hmmm...

Unread postPosted: 14 Mar 2019, 05:22
by garrya
Long and skinny?

Or

Unread postPosted: 14 Mar 2019, 10:30
by n3sk
That looks about right!

Unread postPosted: 14 Mar 2019, 10:42
by spazsinbad
You have TWO choices. Which one?

Unread postPosted: 14 Mar 2019, 16:25
by n3sk
Can’t find the changer for my camera.

Unread postPosted: 14 Mar 2019, 20:20
by n3sk
I will acquire a charger, until then this is the best image quality I can get from my I phone. No murder turkeys today.

Unread postPosted: 14 Mar 2019, 20:22
by spazsinbad
spazsinbad wrote:You have TWO choices. Which one?

OVER THE Page there were two choices of weapon. Did you say YES to both? Just one will do. Thanks 'n3sk'.

Unread postPosted: 14 Mar 2019, 23:52
by n3sk
1st one looks right, the nose seemed blunt. And did not notice the “chines” on the second.

Excuse me,when you said I had two choices I thoughtit was to take pictures or not pictures my mistake.

Unread postPosted: 15 Mar 2019, 00:28
by spazsinbad
n3sk wrote:1st one looks right, the nose seemed blunt. And did not notice the “chines” on the second.

Excuse me,when you said I had two choices I thoughtit was to take pictures or not pictures my mistake.

Thanks. I could have been more clear - apologies.

Unread postPosted: 15 Mar 2019, 20:58
by krorvik
The JSM is a possibility - I am unsure of *when* that testing is to take place though, earlier indications have been ca 2022. But that context was for internal carriage. So they might have started software development or so on external. Dunno.

Here's what it looks like underwing (On a B nonetheless):

Oh, a couple of the shots above are F-22s.

Unread postPosted: 15 Mar 2019, 22:58
by n3sk
Correct it is an F -22 and F-16 in the photo I sent, just giving an example of my view and the image quality I can get with an I phone. I think the two vipers shows that I have a pretty good view of the bottom side, which was my main purpose of posting.

Unread postPosted: 20 Mar 2019, 22:23
by n3sk
Purchased an new chargeing base. Not much traffic today, these guy were barley visible to the naked eye, but don’t seem to have anything external.

Unread postPosted: 20 Mar 2019, 22:50
by steve2267
Am a bit confused as to why you are posting a picture of a picture? Why post a photo of the camera's display? Will you be able to upload the actual photo from the Canon camera? When you are able to photograph the pod in the future, the actual Canon photo image will be much more useful.

:shrug:

Unread postPosted: 23 Mar 2019, 03:36
by botsing
steve2267 wrote:Am a bit confused as to why you are posting a picture of a picture? Why post a photo of the camera's display? Will you be able to upload the actual photo from the Canon camera? When you are able to photograph the pod in the future, the actual Canon photo image will be much more useful.

:shrug:

Time my friend, time.

Taking a picture of the screen with his smartphone and then directly commenting on the forum is much faster. In this case n3sk probably thought the pictures were lacking content but wanted to give us an update anyway.

Unread postPosted: 23 Mar 2019, 03:40
by spazsinbad
:roll: :mrgreen: Oh 'n3sk' is just a big tease. :doh: :devil:

Unread postPosted: 23 Mar 2019, 12:23
by n3sk
Well it’s beginning to be but was not my intention. Wish I had not lost my charger. They lit the test range on fire not sure if it conencides but there hasn’t been much air traffic. Might have missed the opportunity.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nwfdai ... ate=ampart

I posted the screen shot out of simplicity/ lack of direct access to a cpu. Also just to check in. Those photos were form 5+ miles in distance, which is about the closest they have come when I have been home with a working camera. The jet was a speck on the horizon, I couldn’t tell the type with the naked eye. When I get the opportunity (direct overflight) and some “good”pics I will upload them proper.

Unread postPosted: 23 Mar 2019, 23:02
by SpudmanWP
Have you looked into connecting your camera to your phone?

If wifi/bluetooth is not built-in, there are several memory cards on the market that also have wifi.

Unread postPosted: 26 Mar 2019, 02:03
by n3sk
Camera is an older Rebel t3i. Using a 300 m lens that is made for a film camera which does not have stabilization so the images are still fuzzy. If Anyone has any suggestions on shutter speeds or a good lens... or good literature to read LMK

No externals yet

Unread postPosted: 27 Mar 2019, 17:06
by ricnunes
Nice photo there n3sk :thumb:

I'm sure that the next time you'll get a shot at the F-35 with externals some here will be able to recognize them, this if you use the same/similar zoom, shutter speed and other settings.