F-35 operators start switching to AIM-9X Block II+

F-35 Armament, fuel tanks, internal and external hardpoints, loadouts, and other stores.
  • Author

marsavian

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post11 Jan 2019, 14:56

ASRAAM is now part of the UK CAMM family of missiles, probably zero chance it will be dropped for any other IR missile and has been refurbished for F-35.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAMM_(missile_family)

The CAMM (Common Anti-Air Modular Missile) series is a family of surface-to-air missiles developed by MBDA for the United Kingdom. CAMM shares some common features and components with the ASRAAM air-to-air missile, but with updated electronics and an active radar homing seeker. The Common Anti-Air Modular Missile is intended to replace the Sea Wolf missile on Type 23 frigates of the Royal Navy from 2017, the Rapier missile in British Army service from 2018 and is contributing to the updating of MBDA’s ASRAAM in service with the Royal Air Force.

imacca

Unread post19 Jan 2019, 12:02

So, my understanding is that the RAAF uses ASSRAM on its FA18's??

Seems to be moving to the AIM9X after the purchase of FA18 f /g though.

i would guess from what i have read thats because the ASSRAM being a good missile for long range or over the shoulder LOAL IR shots, AIM9X is more versatile overall ( actually has an air/surface capability of sorts?? )and being a US product iit probably has a longer development life ahead of it.

With Brexit will the UK have and dosh for missile development?? :(

That said i could see the RAAF keeping ASSRAM in the arsenal as its cleared for external carriage on the F35.

How reasonable would it be for a country with earlier model AIM9X to upgrade their rounds to the latest spec??
Previous

Return to F-35 Armament, Stores and Tactics