Let’s Do More Shots [3by3]

F-35 Armament, fuel tanks, internal and external hardpoints, loadouts, and other stores.
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 28 Mar 2017, 05:32

Let’s Do More Shots
28 Mar 2017 John A. Tirpak

"​The F-35 program office is looking at adding capacity for another AIM-120 AMRAAM radar-guided air-to-air missile in each of the jet’s two weapons bays, increasing internal—and thus stealthy—missile loadout by 50 percent, program director Lt. Gen. Christopher Bogdan said March 22. Speaking with reporters after his speech at a McAleese/Credit Suisse conference in Washington, D.C., Bogdan said, “There is potential … to add a third missile on each side.”

The upgrade would likely be part of the Block IV program of F-35 enhancements, but “that’s something I know the services and all the partners” are interested in. Bogdan said this would not require some special version of AMRAAM, but “the same AMRAAM missiles that we carry today, just an extra one; probably on the weapons bay door.” The F-35 can carry two AMRAAMs in each bay now, or a mix of AMRAAMs and Joint Direct Attack Munitions internally. “There’s a lot of engineering work to go with that,” Bogdan cautioned, and he did not speculate on when such a change could be made."

Source: http://www.airforcemag.com/DRArchive/Pa ... 202017/Let’s-Do-More-Shots.aspx

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 28 Mar 2017, 05:58

but “the same AMRAAM missiles that we carry today, just an extra one; probably on the weapons bay door.”

Isn't the weapon station on the bay door already being used for the AMRAAM?
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by bring_it_on » 28 Mar 2017, 10:17

Probably misspoke but what is important is that they may be looking at bringing the expanded weapons carriage ahead of what they had planned to do earlier. This is great news.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by krorvik » 28 Mar 2017, 10:35

popcorn wrote:Isn't the weapon station on the bay door already being used for the AMRAAM?

He probably refers to the second door I think.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by garrya » 28 Mar 2017, 11:29

Outer door ?

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by krorvik » 28 Mar 2017, 20:37

Awful tight with the jdam. Might be a better fit with another amraam in that spot.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 28 Mar 2017, 20:51

Probably there is a better screenshot somewhere else on the forum however here is one from this video showing the SIX...

Attachments
6missilesF-35internalScreenie.jpg

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by kimjongnumbaun » 28 Mar 2017, 22:19

I thought 6 AIM-120s was always the planned capacity for Block 4.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 28 Mar 2017, 22:28

That would be the case: "...The upgrade would likely be part of the Block IV program of F-35 enhancements...." perhaps expedited from what OP indicates?

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by count_to_10 » 28 Mar 2017, 23:40

krorvik wrote:
popcorn wrote:Isn't the weapon station on the bay door already being used for the AMRAAM?

He probably refers to the second door I think.

That's weird. If there is room for four SDBs in the A2G spot (with clearance to launch), there should be enough room for two AMRAAM there. Mounting another hardpoint on the outer door would probably require a lot of structure work and re-wiring.
Though maybe a sidewinder would fit on the door with everything else...
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.

Uncertainty: Learn it, love it, live it.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by steve2267 » 29 Mar 2017, 00:27

count_to_10 wrote:
krorvik wrote:He probably refers to the second door I think.

That's weird. If there is room for four SDBs in the A2G spot (with clearance to launch), there should be enough room for two AMRAAM there. Mounting another hardpoint on the outer door would probably require a lot of structure work and re-wiring.
Though maybe a sidewinder would fit on the door with everything else...

Another something (AMRAAM or Sidewinder) on the other door would most probably become a stores separation issue for anything carried where the JDAM is mounted in the above photo. Personally I don't think you have clearance for your JDAM-location weapons if you put a Sidewinder on the other door.
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, dollop of F-117, gob of F-22, dash of F/A-18, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well + bake. Whaddya get? F-35.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by tomcattech » 30 Mar 2017, 19:11

Good news, but I would think development of an internal trapeze for AIM-9X internal carriage would be just as important.

Maybe it is already in the plans for a future block I am unaware of?
Hornets by mandate. Tomcats by choice!!

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by neptune » 30 Mar 2017, 20:27

tomcattech wrote:Good news, but I would think development of an internal trapeze for AIM-9X internal carriage would be just as important.

Why?, "The new Block II variant adds a redesigned fuze and a digital ignition safety device that enhances ground handling and in-flight safety. It also features updated electronics that enable significant enhancements, including lock-on-after-launch (LOAL) capability using a new weapon datalink to support beyond visual range engagements."

..if it is truly HOBS and LOAL why can't it simply be dropped (or kicked out) similar to other missiles and lock up a target when clear of the launch. No rail required! :?: :?:

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by tomcattech » 30 Mar 2017, 21:10

neptune wrote:
tomcattech wrote:Good news, but I would think development of an internal trapeze for AIM-9X internal carriage would be just as important.

Why?, "The new Block II variant adds a redesigned fuze and a digital ignition safety device that enhances ground handling and in-flight safety. It also features updated electronics that enable significant enhancements, including lock-on-after-launch (LOAL) capability using a new weapon datalink to support beyond visual range engagements."

..if it is truly HOBS and LOAL why can't it simply be dropped (or kicked out) similar to other missiles and lock up a target when clear of the launch. No rail required! :?: :?:

If AIM-9X will have that capability I agree... however it makes one wonder the challenges a "dropped" weapon would face in a high G \ high alpha \ knife in a phone booth situation as compared to the standard "bottle rocket" off the rails send off.

There could be no real challenges at all... just thinking out loud.
Hornets by mandate. Tomcats by choice!!

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by alloycowboy » 30 Mar 2017, 21:23

tomcattech wrote:
neptune wrote:

If AIM-9X will have that capability I agree... however it makes one wonder the challenges a "dropped" weapon would face in a high G \ high alpha \ knife in a phone booth situation as compared to the standard "bottle rocket" off the rails send off.

There could be no real challenges at all... just thinking out loud.

Also thinking out loud, if you got yourself in knife fight in a phone booth in an F-35 you did some thing seriously wrong.

Next