Let’s Do More Shots [3by3]

F-35 Armament, fuel tanks, internal and external hardpoints, loadouts, and other stores.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 21692
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -1

Unread post28 Mar 2017, 05:32

Let’s Do More Shots
28 Mar 2017 John A. Tirpak

"​The F-35 program office is looking at adding capacity for another AIM-120 AMRAAM radar-guided air-to-air missile in each of the jet’s two weapons bays, increasing internal—and thus stealthy—missile loadout by 50 percent, program director Lt. Gen. Christopher Bogdan said March 22. Speaking with reporters after his speech at a McAleese/Credit Suisse conference in Washington, D.C., Bogdan said, “There is potential … to add a third missile on each side.”

The upgrade would likely be part of the Block IV program of F-35 enhancements, but “that’s something I know the services and all the partners” are interested in. Bogdan said this would not require some special version of AMRAAM, but “the same AMRAAM missiles that we carry today, just an extra one; probably on the weapons bay door.” The F-35 can carry two AMRAAMs in each bay now, or a mix of AMRAAMs and Joint Direct Attack Munitions internally. “There’s a lot of engineering work to go with that,” Bogdan cautioned, and he did not speculate on when such a change could be made."

Source: http://www.airforcemag.com/DRArchive/Pa ... 202017/Let’s-Do-More-Shots.aspx
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/
Offline
User avatar

popcorn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 7503
  • Joined: 24 Sep 2008, 08:55

Unread post28 Mar 2017, 05:58

but “the same AMRAAM missiles that we carry today, just an extra one; probably on the weapons bay door.”

Isn't the weapon station on the bay door already being used for the AMRAAM?
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh
Offline

bring_it_on

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 912
  • Joined: 30 Apr 2014, 14:32

Unread post28 Mar 2017, 10:17

Probably misspoke but what is important is that they may be looking at bringing the expanded weapons carriage ahead of what they had planned to do earlier. This is great news.
Offline
User avatar

krorvik

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 595
  • Joined: 12 Sep 2015, 15:26

Unread post28 Mar 2017, 10:35

popcorn wrote:Isn't the weapon station on the bay door already being used for the AMRAAM?


He probably refers to the second door I think.
Offline

garrya

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 599
  • Joined: 25 Dec 2015, 12:43

Unread post28 Mar 2017, 11:29

Outer door ?
Image
Offline
User avatar

krorvik

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 595
  • Joined: 12 Sep 2015, 15:26

Unread post28 Mar 2017, 20:37

Awful tight with the jdam. Might be a better fit with another amraam in that spot.
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 21692
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -1

Unread post28 Mar 2017, 20:51

Probably there is a better screenshot somewhere else on the forum however here is one from this video showing the SIX...

Attachments
6missilesF-35internalScreenie.jpg
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/
Offline

kimjongnumbaun

Active Member

Active Member

  • Posts: 223
  • Joined: 08 Dec 2016, 21:41

Unread post28 Mar 2017, 22:19

I thought 6 AIM-120s was always the planned capacity for Block 4.
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 21692
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -1

Unread post28 Mar 2017, 22:28

That would be the case: "...The upgrade would likely be part of the Block IV program of F-35 enhancements...." perhaps expedited from what OP indicates?
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/
Offline
User avatar

count_to_10

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 3255
  • Joined: 10 Mar 2012, 15:38

Unread post28 Mar 2017, 23:40

krorvik wrote:
popcorn wrote:Isn't the weapon station on the bay door already being used for the AMRAAM?


He probably refers to the second door I think.

That's weird. If there is room for four SDBs in the A2G spot (with clearance to launch), there should be enough room for two AMRAAM there. Mounting another hardpoint on the outer door would probably require a lot of structure work and re-wiring.
Though maybe a sidewinder would fit on the door with everything else...
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.

Uncertainty: Learn it, love it, live it.
Online
User avatar

steve2267

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1764
  • Joined: 12 Jun 2016, 17:36

Unread post29 Mar 2017, 00:27

count_to_10 wrote:
krorvik wrote:He probably refers to the second door I think.

That's weird. If there is room for four SDBs in the A2G spot (with clearance to launch), there should be enough room for two AMRAAM there. Mounting another hardpoint on the outer door would probably require a lot of structure work and re-wiring.
Though maybe a sidewinder would fit on the door with everything else...


Another something (AMRAAM or Sidewinder) on the other door would most probably become a stores separation issue for anything carried where the JDAM is mounted in the above photo. Personally I don't think you have clearance for your JDAM-location weapons if you put a Sidewinder on the other door.
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, add dollop of F-117 & gob of F-22, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well, then bake. Whaddya get? An F-35.
Offline

tomcattech

Newbie

Newbie

  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 30 Mar 2017, 18:11

Unread post30 Mar 2017, 19:11

Good news, but I would think development of an internal trapeze for AIM-9X internal carriage would be just as important.

Maybe it is already in the plans for a future block I am unaware of?
Hornets by mandate. Tomcats by choice!!
Offline
User avatar

neptune

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2885
  • Joined: 24 Oct 2008, 00:03
  • Location: Houston

Unread post30 Mar 2017, 20:27

tomcattech wrote:Good news, but I would think development of an internal trapeze for AIM-9X internal carriage would be just as important.

Maybe it is already in the plans for a future block I am unaware of?


Why?, "The new Block II variant adds a redesigned fuze and a digital ignition safety device that enhances ground handling and in-flight safety. It also features updated electronics that enable significant enhancements, including lock-on-after-launch (LOAL) capability using a new weapon datalink to support beyond visual range engagements."

..if it is truly HOBS and LOAL why can't it simply be dropped (or kicked out) similar to other missiles and lock up a target when clear of the launch. No rail required! :?: :?:
Offline

tomcattech

Newbie

Newbie

  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 30 Mar 2017, 18:11

Unread post30 Mar 2017, 21:10

neptune wrote:
tomcattech wrote:Good news, but I would think development of an internal trapeze for AIM-9X internal carriage would be just as important.

Maybe it is already in the plans for a future block I am unaware of?


Why?, "The new Block II variant adds a redesigned fuze and a digital ignition safety device that enhances ground handling and in-flight safety. It also features updated electronics that enable significant enhancements, including lock-on-after-launch (LOAL) capability using a new weapon datalink to support beyond visual range engagements."

..if it is truly HOBS and LOAL why can't it simply be dropped (or kicked out) similar to other missiles and lock up a target when clear of the launch. No rail required! :?: :?:


If AIM-9X will have that capability I agree... however it makes one wonder the challenges a "dropped" weapon would face in a high G \ high alpha \ knife in a phone booth situation as compared to the standard "bottle rocket" off the rails send off.

There could be no real challenges at all... just thinking out loud.
Hornets by mandate. Tomcats by choice!!
Offline

alloycowboy

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 821
  • Joined: 26 Oct 2010, 08:28
  • Location: Canada

Unread post30 Mar 2017, 21:23

tomcattech wrote:
neptune wrote:
tomcattech wrote:Good news, but I would think development of an internal trapeze for AIM-9X internal carriage would be just as important.

Maybe it is already in the plans for a future block I am unaware of?


Why?, "The new Block II variant adds a redesigned fuze and a digital ignition safety device that enhances ground handling and in-flight safety. It also features updated electronics that enable significant enhancements, including lock-on-after-launch (LOAL) capability using a new weapon datalink to support beyond visual range engagements."

..if it is truly HOBS and LOAL why can't it simply be dropped (or kicked out) similar to other missiles and lock up a target when clear of the launch. No rail required! :?: :?:


If AIM-9X will have that capability I agree... however it makes one wonder the challenges a "dropped" weapon would face in a high G \ high alpha \ knife in a phone booth situation as compared to the standard "bottle rocket" off the rails send off.

There could be no real challenges at all... just thinking out loud.


Also thinking out loud, if you got yourself in knife fight in a phone booth in an F-35 you did some thing seriously wrong.
Next

Return to F-35 Armament, Stores and Tactics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests