What will be the USNs primary F-35 naval strike weapon?

F-35 Armament, fuel tanks, internal and external hardpoints, loadouts, and other stores.
Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by bring_it_on » 24 Jul 2016, 04:02

True. Most here know about the JASSM-ER on which the LRASM is based. The Navy has neither the JASSM nor the JASSM-ER in its inventory though.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by southernphantom » 24 Jul 2016, 17:39

SpudmanWP wrote:To get anywhere near (but not quite to) the range of an C, the SH has to hang bags on the wings which limits it to 2xLRASM. The C does not have to remove any fuel to mount 4x LRASM and would still have the 2x MALD-J internal.

Even with 4xLRASM external, the C would still have a smaller RCS than a clean SH. The C would also have the APG-81 EW functions to boot.

SuperHornet Combat Radius - 390nm:
Interdiction with four 1,000 lb bombs, two Sidewinders, and two 1,818 liter (480 U.S. gallon: 400 Imp gallon) external tanks, navigation FLIR and targeting FLIR: Forward Looking Infra-Red hi-lo-lo-hi

http://web.archive.org/web/201110261821 ... r/f18.html

So what the C can do at 500+nm (2x external large weapons), the SH does at 390nm. If the SH ditches the tanks for 4xLRASM (if it can even do that), it's range would likely drop to the sub 300 range while the C can do 4xLRASM without losing fuel and only having to suffer a little drag.

As an addition to that thought experiment, what happens if we give the SH the CFTs Boeing has tested? It doesn't negate the C's advantage completely, but it certainly evens things up a bit. Those CFTs will get the drag index down quite a bit over normal gasbags.
I'm a mining engineer. How the hell did I wind up here?

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by charlielima223 » 24 Jul 2016, 18:50

What about the Kongsberg JSM? It obviously wont have the range or punch of the JASSM or LRSM but the fact that it can be carried internally means the F-35 could get in closer to the threat in contested airspace and still provide (more than enough) sufficient stand off ranges for the F-35. IMO I think having the JSM and a longer range weapon would offer a valuable "one, two" punch for the USN and for the F-35 in general.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by sersi » 24 Jul 2016, 19:16

southernphantom wrote:
SpudmanWP wrote:To get anywhere near (but not quite to) the range of an C, the SH has to hang bags on the wings which limits it to 2xLRASM. The C does not have to remove any fuel to mount 4x LRASM and would still have the 2x MALD-J internal.

Even with 4xLRASM external, the C would still have a smaller RCS than a clean SH. The C would also have the APG-81 EW functions to boot.

SuperHornet Combat Radius - 390nm:
Interdiction with four 1,000 lb bombs, two Sidewinders, and two 1,818 liter (480 U.S. gallon: 400 Imp gallon) external tanks, navigation FLIR and targeting FLIR: Forward Looking Infra-Red hi-lo-lo-hi

http://web.archive.org/web/201110261821 ... r/f18.html

So what the C can do at 500+nm (2x external large weapons), the SH does at 390nm. If the SH ditches the tanks for 4xLRASM (if it can even do that), it's range would likely drop to the sub 300 range while the C can do 4xLRASM without losing fuel and only having to suffer a little drag.

As an addition to that thought experiment, what happens if we give the SH the CFTs Boeing has tested? It doesn't negate the C's advantage completely, but it certainly evens things up a bit. Those CFTs will get the drag index down quite a bit over normal gasbags.

Well Boeing only claims a range boost of 120 n. miles for the conformal tanks in combat air patrol configuration. So, with A2A armament and no tanks the SH is just getting to the range of the F-35C with two LRASM's. With a similar load out I'd expect less range. Given the F-35 can to 760+ miles miles in A2A configuration.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by bring_it_on » 24 Jul 2016, 22:33

charlielima223 wrote:What about the Kongsberg JSM? It obviously wont have the range or punch of the JASSM or LRSM but the fact that it can be carried internally means the F-35 could get in closer to the threat in contested airspace and still provide (more than enough) sufficient stand off ranges for the F-35. IMO I think having the JSM and a longer range weapon would offer a valuable "one, two" punch for the USN and for the F-35 in general.

The JSM is a great weapon and more so because its integrated with he F-35 internal bays. Furthermore, the Australia interest in putting a passive RF seeker in there will make it even better if that path is jointly pursued. However, there is the AGM-X requirement for the future within the US programs so there is stuff out there planned for future medium to long range strike.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 25 Jul 2016, 10:23

charlielima223 wrote:What about the Kongsberg JSM? It obviously wont have the range or punch of the JASSM or LRSM but the fact that it can be carried internally means the F-35 could get in closer to the threat in contested airspace and still provide (more than enough) sufficient stand off ranges for the F-35. IMO I think having the JSM and a longer range weapon would offer a valuable "one, two" punch for the USN and for the F-35 in general.

I sure wouldn't want to be an opposing Warship against the F-35/JSM combo! :shock:

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by vilters » 25 Jul 2016, 14:15

A war ship will have no chance.
But a Bright Red-While Coca-Cola fishing boat has no problems to get where it wants to be.
After all, it is only paint.

You all seem to forget that we are the only ones left to fight by "ROE's".
Terrorist groups have no ROE's.

When I see a tank coming my way? I know what is coming.
When I see a beertruck coming?
It is time to act because: "That is the guy to be scared off".

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 03 Aug 2016, 22:29

vilters wrote:A war ship will have no chance.
But a Bright Red-While Coca-Cola fishing boat has no problems to get where it wants to be.

Coca cola fishing boat?

You do realize how ROEs work right?
Choose Crews

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 21 Sep 2016, 11:43

http://www.defencetalk.com/us-navy-laun ... ise-68202/

US Navy Launches JSOW C-1 During Valiant Shield exercise

Sailors from Carrier Air Wing Five (CVW-5) fired the newest Joint Standoff Weapon, JSOW C-1, Sept. 13 during Valiant Shield exercise conducted in the Western Pacific...

“JSOW brings a host of capabilities together in one family of weapons,” said Kristin Brush, lead mission planning and aviation electronics technician instructor for the JSOW training team. “Not only is JSOW C an extremely capable weapon against an array of land targets with its two-stage warhead, but now the C1 variant can be employed as an anti-surface warfare weapon against moving maritime targets.”

The weapon is integrated with a Link 16 network radio, enabling it to engage moving targets at sea. The radio allows the launch aircraft or another designated controller to provide real-time target updates to the weapon in flight or reassign the weapon to another target. It also uses GPS/INS and an infrared seeker for terminal guidance.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 26 Jul 2017, 04:34

Longer legs for the JASSM-ER in the offing.

http://scout.com/military/warrior/Artic ... -105338941

However, the Air Force recently awarded Lockheed a new contract to further increase the weapon’s range in the face of growing threats—particularly in Eastern Europe and the Western Pacific. According to the company, it received an “Undefinitized Contracting Action” for $37.7 million from the U.S. Air Force for continued development of a new wing design for the JASSM-ER. In fact, the company started analysis work on the upgraded wing design last year in March.

"We've developed a novel design that provides additional standoff range to further increase pilot survivability in an Anti-Access-Area Denial threat environment," Jason Denney, program director for Long Range Strike Systems at Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control, said in a statement. [7]

"Our customers trust our already proven design and we look forward to enhancing its capabilities for warfighters."

If everything goes as planned, Lockheed will cut the new wing into the JASSM-ER production line in Lot 17.

However, the company did not disclose any other details such as how far the new wing might extend the range of the 2,000-pound cruise missile. It’s unclear how much extra performance Lockheed can squeeze out of the JASSM missile body, however, the weapon has proven to be remarkably adaptable.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

by akelafreedom » 14 Sep 2018, 07:07

May be somebody will be interest in this. 3D models of the AGM-158A/B and AGM-158C
Full set is here - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/dAvGX

by squirrelshoes » 14 Sep 2018, 11:57

Great depictions, I'm also believing they will be painting their new stealthy cruise missile a highly reflective shiny black coating that would glint off the sun from 20 miles away.

by akelafreedom » 15 Sep 2018, 11:30

squirrelshoes wrote:Great depictions, I'm also believing they will be painting their new stealthy cruise missile a highly reflective shiny black coating that would glint off the sun from 20 miles away.

The black color is just for testing period :) Dull gray color is common for AGM-158 series. And there is no RAM coating as far as I know. By the way, somebody know when AGM-158C will be testing on F-35C?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 09 Feb 2019, 06:46

USN pushing the range of JSOW to 300 nmi
09 Feb 2019 ALERT5

"The U.S. Navy has given Raytheon a contract to extend the range of the AGM-154 Joint Stand-Off Weapon (JSOW). The technology maturation risk-reduction (TMRR) and engineering, manufacturing, and development (EMD) contract for the JSOW-ER was announced by Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) on Feb. 7. Equipped with a Hamilton Sundstrand TJ-150 turbojet, Raytheon said the weapon has a maximum range of 300 nautical miles.

Photo: Date 23 March 2016 "160323-N-ZZ999-110 NAVAL AIR STATION PATUXENT RIVER, Md. (March 23, 2016) An F-35C Lighting II test aircraft piloted by Cmdr. Theodore Dyckman conducts the first separation of an AGM-154 Joint Stand-Off Weapon (JSOW) from an F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. (U.S. Navy photo by Dane Wiedmann/Released) [NOTE THE RED GO FAST OVERHEAD CAM SHAFT LOONY LENZ CONTRAPTION] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... GM-154.jpg & https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... GM-154.jpg (3.15Mb)

Source: http://alert5.com/2019/02/09/usn-pushin ... more-73865
Attachments
F-35C 1st Separation Test 2016 AGM-154 Joint Stand-Off Weapon (JSOW).jpg

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by vilters » 09 Feb 2019, 22:24

XanderCrews wrote:
vilters wrote:A war ship will have no chance.

Coca cola fishing boat?

You do realize how ROEs work right?

I know how ROE's work. Now ask the terrorist if he cares or gives a damm.

Did they ask ATC vectors to the Trade Centers? Or filed a flight plan? At least they asked permission, no?

ROE's are only valid for the "good guys" . => A simple rule that few seem to understand.

Don't be scared of the incoming tank. You know it is there, you see it coming, and you have time.

Be scared as hell for the Coca Cola truck. (Or the Pepsi alternative.)
THAT is WAR in 2019/2020.

PreviousNext