F-35 begins Raytheon JSOW qualification flights

F-35 Armament, fuel tanks, internal and external hardpoints, loadouts, and other stores.
  • Author

ricnunes

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post18 Nov 2019, 16:58

First of all thanks to steve and wrightwing for your feedback.

Of particular interest is wrightwing's link (which again, I thank) and from where I'll quote the following paragraph:

The JSM is based on Naval Strike Missile (NSM) and was developed in partnership with Raytheon. The JSM has a top range of roughly 350 miles and a low altitude penetration range of about half that. It carries a 500lb warhead and is guided by a navigation suite that includes GPS, INS, and terrain mapping—the latter of which will help out greatly in GPS denied environments.

Ok, from what I read above, the JSM has the chance to by flown towards the target in either a high-altitude or low-altitude profiles. In high-altitude profiles it even have longer range (by 50 nautical miles) compared to the Extended-Range JSOW and on top of that it has the possibility to fly in a low-altitude which of course has a much shorter range but with other tactical advantages.
Apparently it also has more guidance modes (GPS for example).
The warhead is still much smaller but the other advantages may offset this in some/many cases.
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call ECM and pretend like it’s new.

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post18 Nov 2019, 18:24

Warhead size is more like 270-ish. NOT 500 lbs.
"There I was. . ."

wrightwing

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post18 Nov 2019, 18:35

ricnunes wrote:First of all thanks to steve and wrightwing for your feedback.

Of particular interest is wrightwing's link (which again, I thank) and from where I'll quote the following paragraph:

The JSM is based on Naval Strike Missile (NSM) and was developed in partnership with Raytheon. The JSM has a top range of roughly 350 miles and a low altitude penetration range of about half that. It carries a 500lb warhead and is guided by a navigation suite that includes GPS, INS, and terrain mapping—the latter of which will help out greatly in GPS denied environments.

Ok, from what I read above, the JSM has the chance to by flown towards the target in either a high-altitude or low-altitude profiles. In high-altitude profiles it even have longer range (by 50 nautical miles) compared to the Extended-Range JSOW and on top of that it has the possibility to fly in a low-altitude which of course has a much shorter range but with other tactical advantages.
Apparently it also has more guidance modes (GPS for example).
The warhead is still much smaller but the other advantages may offset this in some/many cases.

The JSOW-ER Is still a vital weapon, though. I'm guessing from a cost standpoint, they'll have a lower price point which allows for larger inventories. They'll compliment the JSMs capabilities nicely.

ricnunes

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post18 Nov 2019, 23:48

wrightwing wrote:The JSOW-ER Is still a vital weapon, though. I'm guessing from a cost standpoint, they'll have a lower price point which allows for larger inventories. They'll compliment the JSMs capabilities nicely.

Yes, absolutely.
Lower price and a much bigger/powerful warhead are indeed major pluses for the JSOW-ER.
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call ECM and pretend like it’s new.

squirrelshoes

Unread post21 Nov 2019, 21:04

I know it has it's supporters in these parts but I'd be really surprised if any branch of US Military bought JSM, especially given the significant bump in production numbers for LRASM to where it's no longer something that can be painted as stopgap or interim. It's probably going to be LRASM, JSOW, AARGM-ER, and SDB2 as the options for standoff weaponry of USN/USMC in the 2020s.

usnvo

Unread post22 Nov 2019, 01:03

squirrelshoes wrote:I know it has it's supporters in these parts but I'd be really surprised if any branch of US Military bought JSM, especially given the significant bump in production numbers for LRASM to where it's no longer something that can be painted as stopgap or interim. It's probably going to be LRASM, JSOW, AARGM-ER, and SDB2 as the options for standoff weaponry of USN/USMC in the 2020s.

I could see the Navy buying the JSM although not in huge numbers. Not so much for the F-35C since JSOW also offers internal carriage, but for the MH-60R. Much like the Penguin, It would allow standoff ASCM capability against short ranged missile armed FAC/Corvettes/etc as well as providing limited strike capability. All in a missile that is about the same weight as the MK54 torpedo. It can also be fitted to a tactical length MK41 launcher, something you can't do with a LRASM, so you could add ASCM capability without using cannisters.
Previous

Return to F-35 Armament, Stores and Tactics