British weapons for the F-35

F-35 Armament, fuel tanks, internal and external hardpoints, loadouts, and other stores.
  • Author

jessmo111

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post22 Apr 2017, 09:47

Meteor + F-35B combo will be really nasty! How do you argue that the Typhoon is the high in the hi lo mix when this combo will make it obsolete?!

bojack_horseman

Unread post22 Apr 2017, 11:27

jessmo111 wrote:Meteor + F-35B combo will be really nasty! How do you argue that the Typhoon is the high in the hi lo mix when this combo will make it obsolete?!

Indeed, the UK will have a 'high-high' combination.

Regarding the respective loudouts, the UK having 2 x Meteor, 2 x ASRAAM & 8 x SPEAR-3s vs the USAF carrying 2 x AMRAAM, 2 x Sidewinder & 8 x SDBs, I think the UK will have a considerable advantage.

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post26 Apr 2017, 14:27

UK MoD green lights Meteor integration on F-35B
26 Apr 2017 Robin Hughes

"The UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) has officially approved the integration of the Meteor beyond-visual-range air-to-air missile (BVRAAM) on the UK F-35B Lightning II multirole stealth aircraft under one of a raft of separate missile-related contract awards to the MBDA announced on 21 April.

A GBP41 million (USD52.5 million) contract provides for the development of an initial integration solution for Meteor on the F-35, a UK MoD Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S) spokesperson told Jane's . "There will be a separate contract for full integration, the timeline of which will be guided by the US follow-on modernisation [FoM] programme. The UK is seeking to have the capability available on the F-35 from 2024," the spokesperson said. Meteor is a candidate for internal carriage on the UK's F-35B as part of the Block 4 capability upgrade cycle.

Dave Armstrong, managing director at MBDA UK, told Jane's that the contract essentially moves an earlier Meteor/F-35 integration study into the design phase. "We've already completed an initial study, and we understand precisely what we need to do. So this [contract] moves the study into the design phase, and we will end up with the right build of software and adaptation for Meteor on the F-35. We also have make sure that when the missile is in the internal weapons bay it is compatible with the aircraft and so our design work will also focus on safety parameters, release parameters, etc, to ensure that the missile works in the complete F-35 environment. So this contract will conclude with a finished product."

Armstrong confirmed that the design phase includes a minor hardware redesign to the missile tail fin. "As currently configured, the fins [on the Meteor] will not fit in the internal weapons bay of the F-35, and therefore they have to be redesigned. In simplistic terms we are cropping the top of the fin and are moving it elsewhere to retain the same surface area - and so the performance remains unchanged...."

Photo: "A mock-up of the Meteor BVRAAM in the internal carriage bay of the F-35B Lightning II. Note the cropped rear fins to allow internal carriage of the missile on the aircraft. Source: R Hughes" http://www.janes.com/images/assets/834/ ... -_main.jpg

Source: http://www.janes.com/article/69834/uk-m ... n-on-f-35b
Attachments
F-35BmeteorInternalCarriage.jpg
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post18 May 2017, 22:16

Photo of the Day
17 May 2017 Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR)

PHOTO:"Photo of the Day: U.S. Marine Corps Lt. Col. Tom "Sally" Fields conducted U.K. AIM-132 and Paveway IV external weapons testing with an F-35B Lightning II Short Takeoff and Vertical Landing (STOVL) variant May 12, 2017. Fields is based at the Naval Air Station Patuxent River Integrated Test Force (ITF) and assigned to Air Test and Evaluation Squadron (VX) 23." https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=597A4F33

Source: https://www.facebook.com/NAVAIR/photos/ ... =3&theater
Attachments
F-35B UK AIM-132 & Paveway IV external May2017.jpg
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

lamoey

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post18 May 2017, 23:02

spazsinbad wrote:
Photo of the Day
17 May 2017 Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR)

PHOTO:"Photo of the Day: U.S. Marine Corps Lt. Col. Tom "Sally" Fields conducted U.K. AIM-132 and Paveway IV external weapons testing with an F-35B Lightning II Short Takeoff and Vertical Landing (STOVL) variant May 12, 2017. Fields is based at the Naval Air Station Patuxent River Integrated Test Force (ITF) and assigned to Air Test and Evaluation Squadron (VX) 23." https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=597A4F33

Source: https://www.facebook.com/NAVAIR/photos/ ... =3&theater

Should not the very tip of each of the Paveway point in the direction of the airflow, or is this a doctored picture?
Former Flight Control Technican - We keep'em flying

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post18 May 2017, 23:05

Looks undoctored to me - aircraft in burner pulling some Gs most likely OR just accelerating in the turn? Except I have modified the photo - look at original which is smaller etc.... Photo may have been taken from below in level flight?
Attachments
18519551_1431234360256520_2719426618974412598_n.jpg

rheonomic

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post20 May 2017, 04:59

Seems like the Paveway IVs do this, e.g. the Typhoon in this FlightGlobal article or the Harrier on this page.

At first I thought it might be the seeker heads pointing toward the ground, but the Typhoon picture is interesting as it looks like the Paveways on the left wing have the seeker head pointing down and the Paveways on the right wing are straight.
"You could do that, but it would be wrong."

johnwill

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post20 May 2017, 07:19

F-35 LEF is deflected, so AoA is significant and seeker heads are simply trying to maintain zero AoA.

count_to_10

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post21 May 2017, 00:03

I did not know they did that.
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.

Uncertainty: Learn it, love it, live it.

quicksilver

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post21 May 2017, 17:43

GBU-12 and similar weapons come to the jet with a round styrofoam shape mounted inside the fins so that the assembly doesnt bounce around (or get damaged) while being transported. Sometime during the loading sequence for the weapon, the shape is removed and the weight of the seeker head causes the assembly to tip in the direction of that weight. As air loads act upon the seeker (airborne), the seeker aligns with the aircraft vector.

Pic at the link.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/jhtml/jfr ... 504.jpg|||

quicksilver

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post22 May 2017, 03:23

Deleted. Wrong thread.

rheonomic

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post22 May 2017, 06:34

quicksilver wrote:GBU-12 and similar weapons come to the jet with a round styrofoam shape mounted inside the fins so that the assembly doesnt bounce around (or get damaged) while being transported.

Cool, learnt something new today.
"You could do that, but it would be wrong."

uclass

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post28 May 2017, 15:20

gabriele wrote:
Richard Scott, London - IHS Jane's Missiles & Rockets
18 January 2016
Key Points

The integration of Storm Shadow on the F-35B as part of UK follow-on development has been dropped
The UK is looking to integrate the Meteor BVR air-to-air missile and the SPEAR Cap 3 stand-off precision guided weapon as part of Block 4

The United Kingdom (UK) Ministry of Defence (MoD) has abandoned plans to integrate the MBDA Storm Shadow air-launched cruise missile on the F-35B Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter (JSF), and is instead looking at the far future integration of a new long-range deep-strike weapon projected under the still embryonic Selective Precision Effects at Range (SPEAR) Cap 5 programme.

http://www.janes.com/article/57304/stor ... ation-plan

Very interesting. I think SPEAR 5 might be the same as the "Future Cruise and Anti-Ship Weapon" that UK and France are beginning to flesh out with a new round of studies to be launched this year. Anyone has access to the full Jane's article to see if my guess is on the mark, and to see the rest?

My take on this is that Storm Shadow is being dropped on F-35B because it can't carry tanks and missiles and the range of the B with two Storm Shadows would be limited, which is why I think they may opt for a mix of As and Bs yet.

I don't think Storm Shadow itself is dead yet though.

neptune

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post28 May 2017, 17:00

uclass wrote:
gabriele wrote:
Richard Scott, London - IHS Jane's Missiles & Rockets
18 January 2016
Key Points

The integration of Storm Shadow on the F-35B as part of UK follow-on development has been dropped
The UK is looking to integrate the Meteor BVR air-to-air missile and the SPEAR Cap 3 stand-off precision guided weapon as part of Block 4

The United Kingdom (UK) Ministry of Defence (MoD) has abandoned plans to integrate the MBDA Storm Shadow air-launched cruise missile on the F-35B Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter (JSF), and is instead looking at the far future integration of a new long-range deep-strike weapon projected under the still embryonic Selective Precision Effects at Range (SPEAR) Cap 5 programme.

http://www.janes.com/article/57304/stor ... ation-plan

Very interesting. I think SPEAR 5 might be the same as the "Future Cruise and Anti-Ship Weapon" that UK and France are beginning to flesh out with a new round of studies to be launched this year. Anyone has access to the full Jane's article to see if my guess is on the mark, and to see the rest?

My take on this is that Storm Shadow is being dropped on F-35B because it can't carry tanks and missiles and the range of the B with two Storm Shadows would be limited, which is why I think they may opt for a mix of As and Bs yet.

I don't think Storm Shadow itself is dead yet though.

Storm Shadow:
300 nm, 0.8 mach, 3k lb, 17 ft, 900 lb warhead/ sub-munitions
:)
PreviousNext

Return to F-35 Armament, Stores and Tactics