SDB II Scores Hits in Flight Tests

F-35 Armament, fuel tanks, internal and external hardpoints, loadouts, and other stores.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

SpudmanWP

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 8396
  • Joined: 12 Oct 2006, 19:18
  • Location: California

Unread post18 Aug 2019, 01:03

Just for Reference..
Attachments
mhppre7[1].png
CwKDpIs[1].png
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."
Offline

fidgetspinner

Banned

  • Posts: 67
  • Joined: 17 Nov 2018, 02:27
  • Warnings: 1

Unread post18 Aug 2019, 21:11

These attachments are really great :P

Is there any information as to what the max loadout for the internal and external carry of the F-35 would be for just having JDAM-ERs? Just curious as to what mission requirements the F-35 can achieve against SAM systems
Offline

marauder2048

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 798
  • Joined: 14 Mar 2012, 06:46

Unread post19 Aug 2019, 00:04

squirrelshoes wrote:
It would be gut wrenching from an economics perspective firing expensive SAMs at gliding JDAMs.


Why would you need expensive SAMs to defeat unpowered glide munitions?
Offline
User avatar

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 5444
  • Joined: 22 Jul 2005, 03:23

Unread post19 Aug 2019, 03:18

SpudmanWP wrote:Just for Reference..


What's the latest on winged/powered JDAMs? Do you know if there are any plans to procure?
"There I was. . ."
Offline

SpudmanWP

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 8396
  • Joined: 12 Oct 2006, 19:18
  • Location: California

Unread post19 Aug 2019, 03:55

Nothing in the US budget as far as I know.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."
Offline

weasel1962

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1789
  • Joined: 07 Jun 2012, 02:41
  • Location: Singapore

Unread post19 Aug 2019, 03:58

At least to the Australians since production started in 2015.
https://twitter.com/boeingdefense/statu ... 0364552192

The wingkit (designated as BSU-104) is also acquired by USAF for the quickstrike aerial mine program.
Offline

marauder2048

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 798
  • Joined: 14 Mar 2012, 06:46

Unread post19 Aug 2019, 05:03

The Navy also has an unfunded priorities request for Quickstrike-ER.

Which means the Navy will be purchasing two different wingkits (ALA for HAAWC)
for air-to-subsurface weapons though ALA is (notionally) supposed to have a datalink.
Offline

squirrelshoes

Active Member

Active Member

  • Posts: 110
  • Joined: 08 Nov 2016, 23:53

Unread post19 Aug 2019, 05:36

marauder2048 wrote:Why would you need expensive SAMs to defeat unpowered glide munitions?

SAMs are usually expensive, and they are launched at incoming flying munitions.
Offline

marauder2048

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 798
  • Joined: 14 Mar 2012, 06:46

Unread post19 Aug 2019, 06:41

squirrelshoes wrote:
marauder2048 wrote:Why would you need expensive SAMs to defeat unpowered glide munitions?

SAMs are usually expensive, and they are launched at incoming flying munitions.


Welcome to begging the question.
Offline

squirrelshoes

Active Member

Active Member

  • Posts: 110
  • Joined: 08 Nov 2016, 23:53

Unread post19 Aug 2019, 07:35

I guess I don't understand what you're getting at here, or better said I don't know why you're confused as to why an expensive SAM would be launched at an incoming glide weapon.
Offline

marauder2048

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 798
  • Joined: 14 Mar 2012, 06:46

Unread post19 Aug 2019, 09:45

squirrelshoes wrote:I guess I don't understand what you're getting at here, or better said I don't know why you're confused as to why an expensive SAM would be launched at an incoming glide weapon.


An opponent capable of readily detecting and engaging glide weapons is likely to have a firing doctrine
and an interceptor inventory that doesn't result in disproportionately expensive engagements.
Offline

weasel1962

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1789
  • Joined: 07 Jun 2012, 02:41
  • Location: Singapore

Unread post19 Aug 2019, 09:53

Iron dome, anyone?
Offline

squirrelshoes

Active Member

Active Member

  • Posts: 110
  • Joined: 08 Nov 2016, 23:53

Unread post19 Aug 2019, 13:59

marauder2048 wrote:An opponent capable of readily detecting and engaging glide weapons is likely to have a firing doctrine and an interceptor inventory that doesn't result in disproportionately expensive engagements.

Let's take Iran, for example. If Israel engaged in a strike against some important Iranian facility, say nine F-35s each putting 2 JDAM-ERs into the air from 40 miles away, what does Iran doctrine does Iran follow to engage them?
Offline

wrightwing

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 3311
  • Joined: 23 Oct 2008, 15:22

Unread post19 Aug 2019, 16:25

That's kind of the entire point of inexpensive glide weapons. The defender is going to be using a much more expensive weapon, to intercept the incoming weapons, lest they lose an even more expensive high value target (or the SAM battery, for that matter.) It's easier to saturate with inexpensive weapons.
Offline
User avatar

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 5444
  • Joined: 22 Jul 2005, 03:23

Unread post19 Aug 2019, 16:31

marauder2048 wrote:
squirrelshoes wrote:I guess I don't understand what you're getting at here, or better said I don't know why you're confused as to why an expensive SAM would be launched at an incoming glide weapon.


An opponent capable of readily detecting and engaging glide weapons is likely to have a firing doctrine
and an interceptor inventory that doesn't result in disproportionately expensive engagements.


TOR is designed to be as cheap as possible, and still get the job done. All the brains are on the chassis. IIRC the thing is command guided. Don't know if it makes the missiles cheaper than JDAMs though.
"There I was. . ."
PreviousNext

Return to F-35 Armament, Stores and Tactics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests