What will be the USNs primary F-35 naval strike weapon?

F-35 Armament, fuel tanks, internal and external hardpoints, loadouts, and other stores.
  • Author

vilters

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post09 Feb 2019, 22:24

XanderCrews wrote:
vilters wrote:A war ship will have no chance.
But a Bright Red-While Coca-Cola fishing boat has no problems to get where it wants to be.
After all, it is only paint.

You all seem to forget that we are the only ones left to fight by "ROE's".
Terrorist groups have no ROE's.

When I see a tank coming my way? I know what is coming.
When I see a beertruck coming?
It is time to act because: "That is the guy to be scared off".

Coca cola fishing boat?

You do realize how ROEs work right?

I know how ROE's work. Now ask the terrorist if he cares or gives a damm.

Did they ask ATC vectors to the Trade Centers? Or filed a flight plan? At least they asked permission, no?

ROE's are only valid for the "good guys" . => A simple rule that few seem to understand.

Don't be scared of the incoming tank. You know it is there, you see it coming, and you have time.

Be scared as hell for the Coca Cola truck. (Or the Pepsi alternative.)
THAT is WAR in 2019/2020.

Corsair1963

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post11 Feb 2019, 08:08

The U.S. Navy says it will begin deploying a cruise missile derivative of the stealthy AGM-154 Joint Stand-Off Weapon glide bomb, or JSOW, no later than the end of 2023, as an option for its F/A-18E/F Super Hornets and F-35C Joint Strike Fighters. The weapons will give these jets a significant additional extended-range strike capability, which is important given the increasingly advanced nature of integrated air defenses among potential opponents, especially Russia and China.

On Feb. 7, 2019, Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) announced its intention to issue a sole-source contract to Raytheon for work related to the new weapon, known as the JSOW-Extended Range, or JSOW-ER, on the U.S. government’s main contracting website, FedBizOpps. The Massachusetts-headquartered defense contractor developed the unpowered JSOW and you can read about it and the cruise missile derivative in depth in a previous feature from The War Zone. The notice also said that the JSOW-ER would be compatible with the U.S. Air Force’s F-35A Joint Strike Fighter, but it is not clear if that service actually intends to purchase the missiles.

Source: http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/26 ... side-f-35c

element1loop

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post11 Feb 2019, 10:21

Corsair1963 wrote:The notice also said that the JSOW-ER would be compatible with the U.S. Air Force’s F-35A Joint Strike Fighter, but it is not clear if that service actually intends to purchase the missiles.

I think that point is related to RAAF using them on SH now, and may keep using them on F-35A. Not much point in the USAF buying them.
Accel + Alt + VLO + DAS + MDF + Radial Distance = LIFE . . . Always choose Stealth

Corsair1963

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post11 Feb 2019, 11:16

element1loop wrote:
Corsair1963 wrote:The notice also said that the JSOW-ER would be compatible with the U.S. Air Force’s F-35A Joint Strike Fighter, but it is not clear if that service actually intends to purchase the missiles.

I think that point is related to RAAF using them on SH now, and may keep using them on F-35A. Not much point in the USAF buying them.

If, they can fit inside the F-35A. I would say plenty of good reasons for the USAF to acquire it...
Previous

Return to F-35 Armament, Stores and Tactics