'Top Gun 2′ to feature Maverick, drone warfare

Unread postPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 17:49
by spazsinbad
'Top Gun 2′ to feature Maverick, drone warfare
27 Jun 2015 AOL.com

"Do you feel the need? The need for a "Top Gun" sequel?

Rumors of "Top Gun 2″ have swirled since the original touched down in 1986. Skydance CEO David Ellison confirmed that the project is in development and revealed its plot details at a "Terminator Genisys" press junket in Berlin, Collider reports.

"Justin Marks is writing the screenplay right now," Ellison said. "He has a phenomenal take to really update that world for what fighter pilots in the Navy has turned into today."

He added, "It is very much a world we live in today where it's drone technology and fifth generation fighters ... It's really exploring the end of an era of dogfighting and fighter pilots and what that culture is today."

Fans of the original film will be delighted to know that Ellison hinted that Tom Cruise will reprise his role.

"There is an amazing role for Maverick in the movie and there is no 'Top Gun' without Maverick, and it is going to be Maverick playing Maverick," Ellison said."

Source: http://www.aol.com/article/2015/06/27/t ... /21202065/

Re: 'Top Gun 2′ to feature Maverick, drone warfare

Unread postPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 23:46
by popcorn
How appropriate. It's gonna take Hollywood to deprogram a couple of generations who grew up on dogfighting MiG 28s and feeling the need for speed. It took a Nixon to go to China.

Unread postPosted: 29 Jun 2015, 14:10
by sferrin
Won't be Top Gun without the Tomcat. :( That opening scene with the F-14 going into full afterburner on the catapult is one of my favorite in any movie- right up until Kenny Loggins kicks in. Talk about destroying a mood.

Unread postPosted: 29 Jun 2015, 16:33
by smitty14
The great thing about Top Gun was the amount of real footage that was used. I don't see the sequel getting as much access to F-35 as the original did with the Tomcat. If a sequel is made, I'm sure it will be an inaccurate portrayal of the F-35 and will be ripe with CGI action.

Unread postPosted: 29 Jun 2015, 18:08
by spazsinbad
'smitty14' said: "...inaccurate portrayal..." will be in store for TOPGUN 2. How accurate was TOPGUN 1? Yes real aircraft were seen with a pilot/GIB both not wearing their oxygen masks with CGI backdrop - some low flybys were real and of course the Carrier Action was real; whilst the storyline and the cast depicting a NavAv squadron was and still is just laughable. I have to look away sometimes at some of the more silly portrayals. :mrgreen: However SOME of the dialogue was on the money. 'Rubber Dogshit out of HongKong' still makes me laff. :devil:

Unread postPosted: 29 Jun 2015, 18:51
by smitty14
Of course the original was inaccurate, never said it was an accurate portrayal. The point is, the sequel will be even more farfetched than the original and will likely be heavy on the CGI. If we're hoping for film with tons of live action shots of the F-35, methinks we'll be disappointed. Instead, we'll get a gray haired Maverick and a "Live Free or Die Hard" approach to the F-35.

Unread postPosted: 29 Jun 2015, 20:18
by strykerxo
Its going to turn into an anti drone movie, just like the "Stealth' movie. They have to appeal to Gen-X so the main characters will be young and Cruise will play a supporting role. Lets just hope it isn't silly, to play for the masses. The CGI if done well can could be appealing.

Unread postPosted: 29 Jun 2015, 21:17
by SpudmanWP
At least I won't be hearing "I can't get a tone" ;)

Unread postPosted: 29 Jun 2015, 21:24
by spazsinbad
'strykerxo' said: "...The CGI if done well can could be appealing." Showing the 'god's eye view' on PCD (with somehow suitable explanations would be good. How that can be done I do not know as I have only seen it in a few videos - briefly.

AND... knocking someone down - that somehow gets in the F-35 six because of the F-35ers rookie mistake - will be good. HELMET CAM BACKWARDs VIEW ROOLs - with the missile doing a dramatic Uturn to achieve it.

Let us not forget a NIGHT CARRIER APPROACH with the marvellous DAS view - nailed it. Probably we could have a rookie dweeb F-35C pilot hyperventilating to require a complete auto night approach due to some temporary incapacity - nails it. Whilst the weather is terrible and the LSO has to contend with equipment failures to he dials in a ONE WIRE approach (don't ask me why not the 3 wire - this is for dramatic effect - realism? no.) for a complete auto approach/arrest - nails it.

Unread postPosted: 29 Jun 2015, 21:39
by sprstdlyscottsmn
thus highlighting how the human in the cockpit is the short straw for the F-35?

Unread postPosted: 29 Jun 2015, 23:10
by strykerxo
OK, we just lost half the audience with that exchange. :doh:

I don't want Mig-28 (F-5) though just for realism, I'll take the CG as long as it is immersive. And for crying out loud don't give me some fictionalized low tier threat , for the PC Commies.

Unread postPosted: 29 Jun 2015, 23:43
by spazsinbad
Yep the HOOmanUnit is becoming obsolete and what a way to show that along with the drones getting onboard all day every day every time no matter the WX. Anyway sloppyjalopy has a take: http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/kick-t ... 1714481373

Unread postPosted: 30 Jun 2015, 00:44
by strykerxo
And, no fantasy fighters like the "Stealth" movie on a non-fantasy carrier. Oh I give up, don't get your hopes up guys, the folks running Hollywood are going to PC the crap out of it.

Unread postPosted: 30 Jun 2015, 03:19
by madrat
Sounds like "Deal of the Century 2" more than Top Gun 2.

Unread postPosted: 09 Jul 2015, 22:53
by tbarlow
My question is what cool call signs will they come up with for the drones and pilots?

Unread postPosted: 10 Jul 2015, 07:48
by KamenRiderBlade
So who else from the first Top Gun will be in this movie?

Unread postPosted: 10 Jul 2015, 09:42
by popcorn
Tom Cruise has aged gracefully. Can't say the same for others... would require some serious blue-screen magic. :)

Unread postPosted: 10 Jul 2015, 09:44
by popcorn
Tom Cruise has aged gracefully. Can't say the same for others... would require some serious blue-screen magic. :) beach volleyball a bad idea.. :D

Unread postPosted: 11 Jul 2015, 06:27
by KamenRiderBlade
Tom Cruise looks amazing for his age.

Unread postPosted: 12 Jul 2015, 04:40
by spazsinbad
KamenRiderBlade wrote:Tom Cruise looks amazing for his age.

AND prolly a zillion dollars in good surgery plastique?

Unread postPosted: 29 Jul 2015, 00:34
by zerion
For Top Gun II, Cruise wants to fly the real thing. No CGI.

http://www.gospelherald.com/articles/56 ... ing-ii.htm

Any chance he actually gets to?

Unread postPosted: 29 Jul 2015, 01:11
by slapshot!
zerion wrote:For Top Gun II, Cruise wants to fly the real thing. No CGI.

Maybe, it would be great publicity for the Navy and the F35 if they could do it.

Unread postPosted: 29 Jul 2015, 01:33
by popcorn
No way he actually gets to fly in a F-35 unless it's in the simulator. They could stuff him into a SH though.

Unread postPosted: 29 Jul 2015, 01:39
by slapshot!
popcorn wrote:No way he actually gets to fly in a F-35 unless it's in the simulator. They could stuff him into a SH though.

I would imagine the story would be more at home in the F18F, that way Maverick could have a young WSO in the back.

Or, who knows, he could end up flying dogsh** out of Hong Kong lol

Unread postPosted: 29 Jul 2015, 15:45
by zero-one
Question, when do they plan to start filming?

If it's this year, then the F-35C would be flying Block 2B software, limited to around 5Gs IIRC, it would be better if they can
film next year with Block 3i software giving the C it's full 7.5G limit.

the 1st movie used a lot of actual flight footage, and it still looks better than the pure CGI dogfight on that "Stealth" movie.

that French film "Sky fighters" also used a lot of actual flight footage on Mirage 2000s and it looks great. So heres hoping they wont
overuse CGI.

Pearl Harbour had some great plane shots, altough I suspect most of the P-40s and Zeros were CGIs, really good CGIs

Unread postPosted: 29 Jul 2015, 17:43
by neurotech

Practically zero chance of him flying it. I don't think he much high performance jet time, and certainly not all the quals to fly as a civilian test pilot. If he's really lucky, they could strap him in the jet, and tow the jet down the taxiway. It would be a lot easier to find a "stunt double" that is his height and general appearance, who is already trained in the F-35.

For actors like Tom Cruise, the studio usually place heavy restrictions on what they are allowed to do for insurance reasons. I think there is more insurance on Tom Cruise, than the replacement cost of a F/A-18. In previous cases, they have loaned out airframes and cockpit sections for filming, but nowhere near flyable condition.

Unread postPosted: 29 Jul 2015, 18:46
by strykerxo
Cruise still does some of his own stunts 8) <----- (Risky Business - Cruise)
Would be funny to play up the "dogsh-- out of Hong Kong" angle though.

Unread postPosted: 29 Jul 2015, 20:28
by popcorn
Shave his head and make him skipper of CVN-78.

Unread postPosted: 29 Jul 2015, 22:09
by KamenRiderBlade
neurotech wrote:

Practically zero chance of him flying it. I don't think he much high performance jet time, and certainly not all the quals to fly as a civilian test pilot. If he's really lucky, they could strap him in the jet, and tow the jet down the taxiway. It would be a lot easier to find a "stunt double" that is his height and general appearance, who is already trained in the F-35.

For actors like Tom Cruise, the studio usually place heavy restrictions on what they are allowed to do for insurance reasons. I think there is more insurance on Tom Cruise, than the replacement cost of a F/A-18. In previous cases, they have loaned out airframes and cockpit sections for filming, but nowhere near flyable condition.

Wouldn't it be easier & cheaper to put him in a F-35C simulator cockpit and green screen the heck out of it?

Unread postPosted: 29 Jul 2015, 23:43
by huggy
Folks,
If anyone believes there is even an outside, remote chance that a Hollywood actor is going to "get checked out" in the F-35... an aircraft chock-full of highly sensitive technologies, and with a 9-figure cost per airframe... then you have unrealistic expectations. :bang:

It doesn't matter if he is/was a test pilot; whether he has 10,000 hours of jet time; or whether he is/was a military pilot in the past. There is no compelling reason to fly him in the jet that overrides the legal issues, security issues, safety issues, political issues, and cost issues.

It cannot happen. It will not happen.

Unread postPosted: 30 Jul 2015, 02:09
by neurotech
huggy wrote:Folks,
If anyone believes there is even an outside, remote chance that a Hollywood actor is going to "get checked out" in the F-35... an aircraft chock-full of highly sensitive technologies, and with a 9-figure cost per airframe... then you have unrealistic expectations. :bang:

It doesn't matter if he is/was a test pilot; whether he has 10,000 hours of jet time; or whether he is/was a military pilot in the past. There is no compelling reason to fly him in the jet that overrides the legal issues, security issues, safety issues, political issues, and cost issues.

It cannot happen. It will not happen.

I think the linked story mixes up "Fly" and "F-35" and "no CGI". It might be vaguely possible the Navy allows these actors to ride back seat during filming, but zero chance of these guys being allowed to fly any single seat jet.

There is more to this story than is publicly known, and I suspect the truth is a lot less interesting.

Unread postPosted: 19 Sep 2017, 21:39
by outlaw162
"you've lost that lovin' feeling"....

Unread postPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 02:30
by 35_aoa
neurotech wrote: It might be vaguely possible the Navy allows these actors to ride back seat during filming

I'd say probably a pretty good chance of this. God knows we flew all kinds of people (primarily politicians) out in Fallon. If this movie will be half the PR boon the first one was in 1986, I imagine the admirals will all eat it up and direct it to happen. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Unread postPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 23:52
by outlaw162
God knows we flew all kinds of people....

Took a female newspaper reporter for an F-4 ride for a Sunday edition article she was writing.

PE folks got her strapped in the back and showed her how to raise the seat (she was about 5'2", eyes of blue) before having her close the canopy.

Got to the flight control check after engine start and told her the usual 'watch your knees'....stick full left, stick full right, stick full forward....stick full back...."giggle"

Stick full back again....another "giggle"....

Thought to myself, this might be promising.

Unread postPosted: 21 Sep 2017, 04:29
by 35_aoa
outlaw162 wrote:
God knows we flew all kinds of people....

Took a female newspaper reporter for an F-4 ride for a Sunday edition article she was writing.

PE folks got her strapped in the back and showed her how to raise the seat (she was about 5'2", eyes of blue) before having her close the canopy.

Got to the flight control check after engine start and told her the usual 'watch your knees'....stick full left, stick full right, stick full forward....stick full back...."giggle"

Stick full back again....another "giggle"....

Thought to myself, this might be promising.

haha heard on ICS "If you are good, I'll show you more than that after the flight"

Unread postPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 04:00
by popcorn
The film's director says Top Gun 2 won't be about drone warfare.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/171879 ... e-director

Unread postPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 04:59
by white_lightning35
The question is: what will be the major conflict in the story? If it features f-35's (please do), what will happen with them? Are they going to portray bvr combat or just some cliche dogfighting? Will they have to make a plane go bye-bye, and if so, how? Whatever it is would probably give the basement dwellers something to munch on, which is pretty sad. So many questions....

Unread postPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 05:47
by Corsair1963
white_lightning35 wrote:The question is: what will be the major conflict in the story? If it features f-35's (please do), what will happen with them? Are they going to portray bvr combat or just some cliche dogfighting? Will they have to make a plane go bye-bye, and if so, how? Whatever it is would probably give the basement dwellers something to munch on, which is pretty sad. So many questions....

Well, the story could be Maverick is having a hard time adapting to the New Technology of the F-35. While, being shown up by the new much younger Top Guns. (i.e. feeling old) Then in the climax of the movie. That technology fails and Mavericks old piloting skills (dogfighting) wins the day..... :wink:

Unread postPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 06:11
by popcorn
Why not cast Ryan Gosling as Goose's son? Gosling = Baby Goose. :devil:

Unread postPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 19:20
by outlaw162
How 'bout Maverick has gender reassignment and goes to the Fallon O'club to sing, "You've lost that lovin' feeling".....

....."at the hospital."

Unread postPosted: 16 Nov 2017, 04:59
by rheonomic
Actually Maverick left the Navy after Tailhook '91 and now posts angry comments about bringing the F-14 back into service on aviation news sites while in a state of near permanent inebriation.

Unread postPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 02:11
by madrat
Corsair1963 s on to something. Drones are the sixth generation secret sauce until they lose control of them and suddenly the perfect force requires a backup plan. Only with the drones came a pilot shortage. And there you have the excuse he's there to save the day. Somehow you have to have stealth neutralized where his human skills are the ace in the hole.

And if somehow the boogieman flies F-14A's where F-35C becomes the new savior platform, that would rock. Maverick turning into the merge and immediately taking the fight vertical with his F-35C against the F-14A would be classic. And if you could somehow fit J-20, PAKFA, or Su-37 (because Su-35S and Su-30SM are boring) into the picture as an exclamation point, double the joy. Because super-maneuvers do not trump energy wars, Maverick kicks the a$$ of the antagonist.

Unread postPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 02:36
by popcorn
If the producers want the Navy's cooperation then no bashing of the new tech.