RAH-66 Comanche

Helicopters and tilt-rotor aircraft
  • Author

TC

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post23 May 2009, 06:37

Folks, I noticed that we had 3 different threads all dealing with the Comanche. I decided to merge them, so there would be one clear place to discuss this chopper. Enjoy!

wheelsup

Unread post14 Mar 2010, 19:05

I keep wanting to see a news post about the project being re-considered.

It can't be dead for good, can anyone
at least tell me if there would be a successor, or is all focus on UAV's exclusively from now on?

And does the Army pull them out to play with every now and then, perhaps presenting it at an airshow or for testing purposes or whatever? Please just tell me they did not ship these beauties to the BONEYARD!! ?

I have a BIG garage at home where we can keep them, :mrgreen:

skicountry

Unread post14 Mar 2010, 21:35

There is at least one Comanche at Ft. Rucker.

I saw one at the 1999 Paris Air Salon. Caught me by surprise as I was walking by. Took out my little pocket camera and snapped this photo. It was parked beside a Whiskey Cobra and A-model Apache. Talk about a fearsome trio.
Attachments
Comanche_Paris1999.JPG

wheelsup

Unread post15 Mar 2010, 06:57

Wow very nice!, i wonder how many they do have? I thought only 2 were made. I wonder if and how often they fly, and who get to be the lucky ones that fly them.

Guysmiley

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post15 Mar 2010, 16:33

Two prototypes were built, the initial prototype and one EMD aircraft, before the program was canceled. They don't fly, they're on static display. The program has been done for a long time. There was no justification for the Army to spend billions on a "stealth" helicopter, especially when the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were/are chewing up the Army's conventional helicopter fleet.

It certainly is a cool looking airframe though, very "Aliens Space Marine" feel to it.

wheelsup

Unread post15 Mar 2010, 18:09

So they just sit there rusting up. Sad man real sad :(

Looks like Uav's are taking over, not that it's bad, it's a great revolution, but ending the manned aircraft era by not going through with the Comanche just doesn't feel right, Why not just make 10 or 20 or 5 :) Anyway thanks for the interest, i am glad though that at least the 2 still exist. Those Demo videos was awesome, it's the ultimate rotorcraft. yes they will make other flying machines, but i can tell you though nothing quite like the Comanche.

wheelsup

Unread post15 Mar 2010, 18:19

i mean they did go through with the f-35 and Raptor, and that was expensive.

flighthawk128

Unread post04 May 2012, 17:14

So in that case, why not create an extremely advanced HueyCobra. I know you said to create an advanced Huey TC, just not sure which variant, as UH-60 Blackhawk was developed from UH-1.

HueyCobra is a tiny frontal target, and would probably be extremely hard to hit with an RPG.

Stealth up the HueyCobra a bit more, and add Commanche-level technology and electonic systems, and you got a seriously bada$$ chopper.
Previous

Return to Rotary Wing Aircraft