RAH-66 Comanche

Helicopters and tilt-rotor aircraft

by mrfresh » 09 May 2005, 01:38

I'm going to be very broad here for obvious reasons, but let's just say I work in the defense department. We had a contract for work on "something" for the Commanche and were shocked when we got the call that it had been cancelled. Anyways that was around two years ago and we still have the "something" sitting around in storage. Well two weeks ago we got a phone call asking if we still had the "something". Very interesting I thought. Why would they ask about it? It can only be used for the Commanche. :?:

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by parrothead » 09 May 2005, 03:13

Hmmm... this could get interesting :D ! Please keep us posted if you can!
No plane on Sunday, maybe be one come Monday...
www.parrotheadjeff.com

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Roscoe » 09 May 2005, 04:32

Government bought it, they are entitled to it. Maybe they just realized it was never delivered and want it.
Roscoe
F-16 Program Manager
USAF Test Pilot School 92A

"It's time to get medieval, I'm goin' in for guns" - Dos Gringos

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by kilo111 » 31 May 2005, 16:50

The US goverment has cancelled the RAH-66 Comanche, a great and advanced recognise and attack helicopter, so now, I think US ARMY is going to buy more units of AH-64 Apache and the future version AH-64X, and is posible to desarrollate a new light helicopter to sustitute the Kiowa Warriors and the AH-6 Little Bird and the old AH-1F Cobra.

Does anyone know what the US ARMY will do?

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by LinkF16SimDude » 01 Jun 2005, 05:51

Well the "Apache X" idea does indeed sound interesting. Not sure what the Army has decided to do with the funding from Commanche but I'd speculate that someday someone may propose integrating some of Commanche's innards into a revamped Apache Longbow. And do it in a timely manner, not 15+ years like Commanche did.

While the new Apache may not be as maneuverable or stealthy as Commanche would've been, one might try to give it some of the same recon and battlefield management capabilites the Commanche had. Things like target detection and prioritization, net-centric comm, ELINT, SIGINT, things like that.

F-16.net Moderator
F-16.net Moderator

by TC » 01 Jun 2005, 07:09

I'm with you there Link. Commanche took far too long to develop. If the Army had one operational model about 3 or 4 years before they did, I think the program would have been spared.

I see the V-22 program suffering from the same problem(s), and does it yet have a date when it will enter service?

Apache is a fine chopper in the interim. Perhaps the Army could go "Back to the Future" and select the AH-1Z (the OTHER Viper) to SUPPLEMENT the Apache.

Apache will not have a replacement for a long time to come. Aviation is, unfortunately, not an area that the Army spends vast amounts on.

Beers and MiGs were made to be pounded!

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by TenguNoHi » 01 Jun 2005, 07:22

God forbit the AF ever sell them the A-10! But we all know that aint happening! :lol:

-Aaron

by agilefalcon16 » 01 Jun 2005, 12:14

LinkF-16SimDude wrote:While the new Apache may not be as maneuverable or stealthy as Commanche would've been, one might try to give it some of the same recon and battlefield management capabilites the Commanche had. Things like target detection and prioritization, net-centric comm, ELINT, SIGINT, things like that.

I saw a special on the Commanche a few days ago, and it was incredible. They showed footage of the prototype flying SIDEWAYS with a car traveling at speeds of 80mph. :shock: It's too bad they cancelled it, but since they did, I'll agree with Link, the Army will probably just by an advanced variant of the AH-64 Longbow Apache.
Last edited by agilefalcon16 on 01 Jun 2005, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by kilo111 » 01 Jun 2005, 15:54

I am with you about the comanche, I think are the best solution.

what will happen with the Kiowa Warrior OH-58D? Is problaby the US ARMY will sustitute it by an UAV. However, the UAV can´t correct the artillery shots, and can´t guide the A-10A thunderbolt to the necessary place. So i think the army could use the Kiowa some years more and sustitute it for a new recon helicopter. But i´m not sure the army will do.

F-16.net Moderator
F-16.net Moderator

by TC » 01 Jun 2005, 18:30

They've talked about replacing the Kiowa for a LONG time. They also talked about replacing the Loach for a LONG time, which was finally replaced by the Kiowa.

Like I said though, the Army doesn't spend on aviation like the AF and the Navy do. Don't worry though. As bad as the Army might want the Warthog, they won't get them.

I had an idea the other day. Perhaps they should make a new model of the Huey, with better engines, stronger armor, and a faster speed. It's smaller than the Blackhawk, and that might help prevent many of the rocket attacks we've seen in Iraq.

One would think the Army would have learned a valuable lesson from another war involving helicopters, and would have their $hit together by now. They cancelled the best thing they had going, and now they need to come up with something very quickly.

Beers and MiGs were made to be pounded!

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by VPRGUY » 01 Jun 2005, 19:23

Well, I've heard recently that the army is getting a couple new helicopters, both bases on off-the-shelf commercial models already in production. Unfortunatly I can't remember what they were going to be for, but I don't think either were going to be combat variants, more 'support' models. I also agree with what someone (can't remember who) posted a while ago; the army needs to update their tactics. Most of the higher-ups still have the 'hide behind the mountain and pop up to kill waves of tanks' mentality. That is why they like the mast mount radar/recon systems so much. I don't think this type of flying is still really relevant now; the pilot is focusing on holding the hover while the WSO (or whatever the army calls them) works the sysyems; neither is looking around for the guy on the ground with an RPG, which can hit a hovering helicopter pretty easy.

The marines, on the other hand, evidently teach their pilots to keep moving; always in an orbit, maneuvering around, etc, which makes them alot harder to hit. The new AH-1 supposedly has the Longbow's radar, but mounted in the nose instead of on a mast, since they don't try to just sit behind a hill and hide the whole time. Just my thoughts.
Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Guysmiley » 01 Jun 2005, 20:11

Of course the Blackhawks in Somalia were orbiting when they got tagged with RPGs, but you're right, hovering in a hot area is just asking for trouble.

by wheelsup » 26 Apr 2009, 18:11

I know this is not the right place but i know of no other more dedicated
aviation forum than this one so:

Does anyone else beside me miss the Comanche, and the fact that they never
planned on producing this brilliant machine, wow those demo videos that i've seen was
simply breathtaking.

Does anyone know if the Army still has a prototype somewhere that they play with every now and then?

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Guysmiley » 27 Apr 2009, 17:28

Supposedly the Army decided the money would be better used to upgrade and modernize the existing helo fleet, but who knows what kind of maneuvering was done politically.

F-16.net Moderator
F-16.net Moderator

by TC » 01 May 2009, 19:15

Frankly, I thought the Comanche was a waste of money. L-O technology won't do you any good when you're flying down in the weeds, where anybody with a RPG, MANPAD, or SMARM can take pot shots in your general direction, all the while maintaining a visual on you.

Next