Intercepting a "Gyrocopter"

Helicopters and tilt-rotor aircraft
Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by vilters » 19 Apr 2015, 14:55

You can fire a shotgun at a gyrocpter, and still hit nothing.
There simply is nothing to hit; Or just by accidental luck.

Scare him Off??
A guy like that is on a mission. You can saturate the sky with horney naked women, he won't even notice them.

Blowing the air out of the gyrocopter rotor is the only solution.
Either by hovering a helicoper above him, or by pulling a serious High G vortex 100 yard out in his flightpath.

As I wrote, he has NO energy to climb over it, and a gyrocopter can NOT go negative G.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by vilters » 19 Apr 2015, 15:07

Oh, and on the question of taking him out?

What If???

What if he had bad intentions, and had some hand grenates on board?

What if Michelle or the presidents daughters had been playing in the garden?

Wanna take a chance on the "what if's??"
------------------------------------------------------------------------
For years I have been saying : Do not be afraid of any country building 100+ fighters.

Be very-very- afraid of the country that suddenly starts building 100+ wooden sportplanes.

WOOD is strong, does not age or fitigue, and is the best composite RAM material.

And NO defense system is ready for a Lo Level 300ft AGL attack at less then 100 kts.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by KamenRiderBlade » 19 Apr 2015, 16:09

vilters wrote:Oh, and on the question of taking him out?

What If???

Wanna take a chance on the "what if's??"
------------------------------------------------------------------------
For years I have been saying : Do not be afraid of any country building 100+ fighters.

Be very-very- afraid of the country that suddenly starts building 100+ wooden sportplanes.

WOOD is strong, does not age or fitigue, and is the best composite RAM material.

And NO defense system is ready for a Lo Level 300ft AGL attack at less then 100 kts.

I still remember the British Mosquito from WWII, imagine if some countries started making updated versions of that as low level bombers / ground attack, we would run into a serious problem

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by eloise » 19 Apr 2015, 17:02

vilters wrote:Be very-very- afraid of the country that suddenly starts building 100+ wooden sportplanes.

:? I think aircraft make from wood still have much bigger RCS than a SDB ( since their engine obviously made from metal) , they can fly low but not as low as sea skimming anti ship missiles,
so something like Phalanx CIWS or Pansir-S1 can get rid of them very quick i think, or aircraft armed with laser guide hydra 70 could be helpful too ( collateral damage could be a problem though)

by mrigdon » 19 Apr 2015, 17:25

vilters wrote:What If???

If they're still in the garden when a gyroscope gets close enough to do anything, then the gyroscope pilot had a number of compatriots who spent months, if not years, insinuating themselves inside the Secret Service so that they could assassinate every single member of the security detail that morning.

Of course, if you spent all that time and manpower, why are you bothering with a gyrocopter in the plan? Unless you're a Bond villain :shrug:

vilters wrote:For years I have been saying : Do not be afraid of any country building 100+ fighters.

Because they're going to crowd out all the other competitors at the Reno Air Races? :)

Keep reading up on the gyrocopter incident. NORAD may not have picked up on their radar, but that doesn't mean the gyrocopter was undetected. They had sharpshooters and a bomb squad ready before the thing landed. No was playing in a garden or getting a coffee from a kiosk when this thing got close enough to do anything.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by vilters » 19 Apr 2015, 18:11

@ Eloise

You still do not get it, do you? In this scenario, SPEED is NOT your friend.

Stay below 300 ft and below 100 kts, and most radars simply forget you are there.
You are filtered out as ground clutter, together with all other traffic like cars and trains.

That is also why rebuilding Mosquito's is NOT such a good idea. Too heavy, too fast, engines too big, WAY to much metal.

The low and slow is the key to get to your target. => Below 300ft and slower then 100 kts, with a Low RCS.

by mrigdon » 19 Apr 2015, 18:36

vilters wrote:
Stay below 300 ft and below 100 kts, and most radars simply forget you are there.
You are filtered out as ground clutter, together with all other traffic like cars and trains.

The problem now is that all that other traffic, the cars and the trains, can now see you. Since every car has at least two Mk. I eyeballs (are you allowed to drive if you're missing an eye?) and a train has hundreds or thousands of those, plus the eyeballs of everybody out walking the dog, the gardeners out with those annoyingly loud gas blowers, moms on a walk with those enormous strollers, lovers holding hands along the riverwalk, teenagers hanging out in alleyways spraypainting "Andre the Giant has a posse", walking tours of historic Arlington, seniors playing lawn bowling, bike messengers, Girl Scouts selling cookies, house painters, window washers working on skyscrapers, construction workers, oh, and I almost forgot cops on foot, cops on bicycles, cops on motorcycles, cops driving around in squad cars, cops on horseback, cops in helicopters, and cops just standing around eating donuts.

A gyrocopter would be the ideal vehicle if you want to attack an empty field in the middle of rural West Texas. In that case, you're completely undetectable. :wink:

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by vilters » 19 Apr 2015, 21:40

Correct, everybody can see it. That is why nobody will ask questions. They might raise an eyebrow, but that's about it.

The smartest cop might think: "What clown ever gave permission for this?" And shake his head in disbelief.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While you chop-chop happy-happy to your target.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by eloise » 20 Apr 2015, 03:31

vilters wrote:@ Eloise

You still do not get it, do you? In this scenario, SPEED is NOT your friend.

That is also why rebuilding Mosquito's is NOT such a good idea. Too heavy, too fast, engines too big, WAY to much metal.

The low and slow is the key to get to your target. => Below 300ft and slower then 100 kts, with a Low RCS.

Iam not sure if you will be treated as clutter even if you fly that low and slow, I mean radar can even detect stationary helicopter :?
Not to mention SAR mode of radar so i dont think your fighter formation will be invisible to radar ( they may still be ignored by fighter pilot though)
And the important structure like white house or Pentagon after 9/11 are always protected by short range SAM or AA gun that equipped with EO system
Last edited by eloise on 20 Apr 2015, 04:50, edited 1 time in total.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by madrat » 20 Apr 2015, 04:10

Filament canisters used during GW1 threw a bunch of thin coiled threads all over the Iraqi electrical grid, causing short circuits. You would terribly plug up the rotor with one launched in the general area. The threads disperse like a party popper over about a thousand foot diameter. Shouldn't have much affect to the buried electrical grid on Penn. Avenue.

by rotosequence » 20 Apr 2015, 09:41

The man tries to petition our government about corruption in lobbying and the only thing people are focused on is killing anyone or anything that gets into the relevant airspace. :bang:

If you're so worried about small scale airborne threats, just pack the Washington Monument or the dome of the capitol building with weaponized laser systems and be done with it; that's why the navy's dumping money into them in the first place.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by vilters » 20 Apr 2015, 14:28

Well, the initial question was; "How to intercept a Gyrocopter."

And I offered several solutions without the use of weapons in a city.

by mrigdon » 20 Apr 2015, 20:57

vilters wrote:Correct, everybody can see it. That is why nobody will ask questions. They might raise an eyebrow, but that's about it.

The smartest cop might think: "What clown ever gave permission for this?" And shake his head in disbelief.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While you chop-chop happy-happy to your target.

Because that's exactly what will happen, just like it did this past week. Wait....

NO! That's not what happened at all. Someone did exactly what you describe, a small flying vehicle that eluded radar, and yet the moment he touched down he was surrounded by security forces and a BOMB SQUAD. I've never been to Washington, but I don't think the bomb squad hangs out on the lawn of the Capital doing pushups all day long, just waiting for that one day when a guy's going to land on the lawn with a bomb. "Oh, hey guys. This is the moment we've trained for our whole lives. In fact, this is all we train for. A dozen bombs went off around the greater Washington, D.C. this year that we didn't go to, but by golly we're going to stop this one guy with a bomb in a gyrocopter that we've devoted our whole life to."

I'm sure one day, hundreds of years from now, an air force of anti-gravity "gyrocopters" will be a feasible tactic. Of course, we'll also have Mach 20 scramjet missiles with cloaking devices, deflector shields, and point defense lasers, so no will bother to build an air force of gyrocopters then, either.

Previous