Stealth Helicopter crashed in Osama's Compound?

Helicopters and tilt-rotor aircraft
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by minneford » 29 May 2011, 01:28

One noticeable thing is that the Comanche helicopter has a ducted fan in the fin called a Fenestron. This Stealth Blackhawk helicopter has no ducted fan that I can see, unless the duct came off in the crash.

Some of the photos show that someone has put chains or cables on it like they were about to remove it.

I forget which helicopter was offered to the Army and Navy that had a NOTAR system.

The Huskie helicopter had no tail rotor like the Kamann K-Max Heli-logger.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by discofishing » 30 May 2011, 02:28

I forget which helicopter was offered to the Army and Navy that had a NOTAR system.

I think it was an MD 500 series aircraft similar to the AH/MH-6 Little Bird that the US Army's 160th SOAR uses. I don't think a Fenestron was used in this so-called Stealth Blackhawk, because of the fairing attached to the trail rotor system looks like it houses a normal tail rotor gearbox. I can't get any sort of information from my friends in the 160th, but my guess is that this aircraft is a highly modified H-60/S-70 airframe. If it was a completely new design, I believe something more along the lines of the RAH-66 would have been used, like the Fenestron system you mentioned.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by madrat » 30 May 2011, 05:59

Perhaps the stealth aspect of the design was more along the lines of acoustics and not radar evasion. More blades in a rotor decreases noise. The problem is your normal gearing wouldn't work without changing the ratio. More blades also means more mass which relates to a hand full of variables changing how you'd control the aircraft. More mass spinning around. More lift per rpm because your wing area per blade is identical but the number of blades increases.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by minneford » 31 May 2011, 22:37

Dont you just love my Lucky Luke AFB T Shirt? Wearing it has saved me from traffic tickets!

I think a Fenestron is slightly different than a ducted fan. The Fenestron is built into the tail assembly. A ducted fan could be vectored thrust, also. Ducted fans might bounce back Radar because of their round shape if made from metal.

Big fat wide blades are in and thin ones are out

The biggest Turbofans flying have huge intake petals which is said to make them quieter.

Eurocopter of France has introduced new scimitar shaped rotor blades made from carbon fiber composite that are quieter. They make less noise.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by minneford » 16 Jul 2011, 22:26

I do not understand. The Army has a new secret version of a Pavehawk helicopter and they wont let us see a photograph.

For some reason no one wanted to destroy the tail assembly, but they destroyed a Blackhawk, so no one like the Pakistani or Chinese could look at it.

How many of these Stealth Blackhawks do have? How much longer are they going to keep these helos a secret?

Were the Boeing Chinooks also modded?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by minneford » 28 Mar 2012, 00:30

Actually, the first Notar Helicopter was the Huskie HH-43. It had no tail rotor.
Sikiosky's newest chopper is the worlds fasted and has two contra rotating blades like the Russian Alligator.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by charlielima223 » 05 May 2021, 01:58

An interesting development from TheAviationist from a anonymous eye witness...

https://theaviationist.com/2021/05/02/s ... rendering/
“It is near silence while taxing. We heard the Pave Hawks way before the stealth hawk. I worked ISR and actually working that night on one of our aircraft. After they taxied by the park in front of the aforementioned hangar, Alpha ramp is dark unlike over ramps at BAF, I slewed the wescam ball toward the aircraft.”

“I actually saw the two Stealth Hawks unloaded off a C-17 a week before raid. Both were fully covered and appear to be same size as a normal Black Hawk.”

“The renderings [you have published] are close but not exact of the stealth. The sides were slopped but not as dramatic as one used in the movie Zero Dark Thirty. Didn’t notice the rotors or main rotor head as it was running and did not see much of those in IR on the Wescam ball when we slewed it over to check it out what was going on when they parked it.”

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by charlielima223 » 06 Sep 2023, 15:22

Sandbox news going through the history of JSOC's legendary and elusive stealth Blackhawks

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TFasyWQTf7o ... BIU_-uUh4W

Pretty sure he will mention it in the second half when it comes out but I did some digging and as dark back as the Vietnam War the US Army was testing ways to make helicopters more stealthy...

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/the-ci ... bb0ea35a7b

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/air-spac ... -24960500/

This lines up with my last post here concerning the stealth Blackhawks. It would seem the main priority is to reduce their acoustic signature.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by charlielima223 » 09 Sep 2023, 22:41

Part 2 of Sandboxx feature of stealth Blackhawks

https://youtu.be/1Ypflvgs7ZM?si=VdorfAz7tkUMUyjL

Previous