Tu=154 Crash

Military aircraft accidents/mishaps.
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 26 Dec 2016, 22:57

Terrorism is being officially discounted for now. Thew Tu-154 has had a less than sterling service record.

http://www.dw.com/en/recovery-teams-sea ... a-36908057

Recovery teams search for Russian plane crash bodies
More than 3,000 people are involved in the search of the crash site, after a military plane plunged into the Black Sea on Christmas Day. So far, 11 bodies have been recovered along with fragments of the jetliner...

Valery Khalilov, the head of the world-famous Red Army choir, was listed as one of those who died, together with 63 other members of the group, whose official name is the Alexandrov Ensemble. They were going to Syria to perform a New Year's concert for troops...

The Tu-154 aircraft has been involved in nearly a dozen major accidents in recent years. More than 800 people have died in crashes involving the airliner since 2000, not including Sunday's crash. The three-engine design was developed in the 1960's to operate on unpaved airfields with a passenger load of 150 people. Due to its checkered history, Russian authorities demanded the model be phased out in 2011.
The most notable crash occurred in April 2010 near the Russian city of Smolensk: Those who died included then-Polish President Lech Kaczynski and his colleagues. All 96 passengers on board that aircraft were killed.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Banned

by arian » 27 Dec 2016, 00:42

You'd think by now that miserable Tu-154 airplane would have been taken out of service.

What an awful plane. I can't believe I actually flew on one once. It was before I knew any better.