The F pole maneuver and it s advantage

Falcon 4 and other PC based simulators, homebuilt simulators, Unit Training Devices and Weapons System Trainers
  • Author

saberrider

planehazza

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post09 Oct 2018, 11:23

saberrider wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9FVhCYrTFY

That's an F-18 sim, and IMO, a really bad tactic. Pays no attention to MAR whatsoever, so might work in a game, but not in an accurate sim.

mikemag

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post09 Oct 2018, 19:20

Could you elaborate? I’m curious why that wouldn’t be a good real world tactic. Perhaps part of the problem is I don’t know what MAR means.

planehazza

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post24 Oct 2018, 14:09

mikemag wrote:Could you elaborate? I’m curious why that wouldn’t be a good real world tactic. Perhaps part of the problem is I don’t know what MAR means.

Minimum Abort Rule. Against a modern threat, one that can carry active missiles, you would never let yourself get within ~20nm when on the offensive; the range varies depending on threat type and altitude (missiles perfom differently at differnt ranges). If you're launching an active missile at say 20nm, you can assume that the enemy is doing so also. That's why when we train in Falcon BMS. We keep the target at gimals (50 degrees) off the nose until we're ready to launch, which is when typically we go head on (pure), pitch up slightly and launch. We then continue over to place the sorted target on the opposite gimbal until the missile is husky or pitbul (depending on briefed ROE etc.), at which point we immediately slice over and go on the defensive to drag out any missile that is potentially on its way to you.

I haven't been active in my VFS for nearly a year but I'll try and get a video to demonstrate it.

Return to F-16 Simulators