Pianting tips needed!

Discuss technique and post photographs of your work in progress

by Parkeran » 06 Aug 2007, 06:54

Hi i was just wondering what is the best paint to be using on models. I would also apreciate some tips on how to paint.

HELP!!!

Parkeran

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Habu » 06 Aug 2007, 07:59

Testors Model Master are my staple paint brand, and have been for 28 years. They come in enamel and acrylic formulas and cover a wide range of military colors.
Do your homework, Tiger!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by Azgaron » 06 Aug 2007, 11:04

There are a lot of different brands and I think all has their preferences. Depends on if you're airbrushing or hand brushing. Some colors are more suited for airbrushing like Gunze and Tamiya, and some are better suited for hand brushing, like Humbrol and Vallejo.
I mainly use Humbrol to all my models and I like them, although I would prefer using acrylic colors. I've been looking at JPS color range and heard that they are good, but I haven't tried them yet.
My tip on painting is to paint several thin layers. I also try to avoid painting "misses" when the color is wet or partly dried, course that often makes it worse. It's better to correct when you're painting the next layer. Also use a soft good brush to avoid bristle marks in the paint.

I can't give any tips on airbrushing.

Azgaron

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by rjwood_uk » 15 Sep 2007, 13:54

if your still after help mate try http://www.scale-models.co.uk or http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com you will find huge amounts of help, search the archives and you will get plenty of tips, colour charts, opinions...etc

hope this helps, i know its a bit late. havnt been on here in a long time!
1/48 2003 Tiger Meet - <a href="http://www.scale-models.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3548">build progress</a>

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by ACMIguy » 17 Sep 2007, 15:01

Ive noticed that the new Model Master Acrylics are much thinner now and are easier to work with right from the bottle.
I use a Badger 150 most of the time though I also have a Paasche VL- Siphon Feed for other than fine line applications.
One of my favorite paints Aero Master is no longer made, but by far was the best right from the bottle.
For the best overall color match I'll go with what Azgaron posted. Humbrol seems to have the best color chart for USA and Tamiya the best for Asian colors. In my humble opinion Tamiya is the best clear coat on the market.
I will sometimes use an enamel base for a primer coat then switch to acyclic as a finish. Enamel seems to adhere better than acrylic for a first coat.
But this is one of those personal preference posting that will draw as many opinions as colors in the spectrum, so just try some on a scrap piece until you have it to a point you like, then build and enjoy.

by Parkeran » 22 Oct 2007, 06:53

Yeah I'm trying to stay away from the airbrushing. I find that I get better detail by brush painting. Thanks for all your tips guys.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Henrik » 15 Apr 2008, 19:02

Hey Park,

I use Humbrol colors and good ol´ hand held brushes.

Greetings,

Henrik.