1/48 Hounds of Heaven 89-2083 (Slow Build!)

Unread postPosted: 10 Nov 2005, 15:16
by Rexxxx
And now, for my 69th post....

Progress is still slow as I can only work on it here and there, what with the new baby, work, and other commitments, but here it is so far...

I'll post more as more progress is made.

RE: 1/48 Hounds of Heaven 89-2083 (Slow Build!)

Unread postPosted: 10 Nov 2005, 17:28
by Habu
How long you been working on this one?

Unread postPosted: 10 Nov 2005, 19:31
by Rexxxx
Sadly around 6-9 months! Started just prior to the baby arrival, then went to Saudi for a month, came back, got Reactive Arthritis (from the Saudi Trip), and just recently have been able to work on it again. Actually, my first post to the forum (back in March) was a request for someone to do custom decals for my jet, and fortunately Scott and Afterburner Decals picked up the project! Funny how things work out. (Thanks Scott!) Now if I could just get off my butt and finish this thing!

Unread postPosted: 10 Nov 2005, 22:18
by Habu
Hey Rexx, check PMs ;)

Unread postPosted: 14 Nov 2005, 05:50
by JakeMelampy
Looking great, Rex.

I'll see you in a few days!

Jake

Unread postPosted: 14 Nov 2005, 06:59
by Rexxxx
Jake,
Looking forward to it! Should be a good time. Hopefully you'll get some good shots!

Rexxxx

Unread postPosted: 14 Nov 2005, 20:15
by JakeMelampy
Rexxxx wrote:Jake,
Looking forward to it! Should be a good time. Hopefully you'll get some good shots!

Rexxxx

Me, too! I don't yet know which day I'll do the WSC meeting, but, as soon as I know, I'll let you know so we can pin down a day/time. I hear you guys are doing night ops right now?

Jake

Unread postPosted: 18 Nov 2005, 19:04
by Taco44
Wow!! Excellent build. For in the future and accuracy's sake, the new red batteries no longer have the seperate white bracket to hold them in. That went away with the old blue batteries. The red ones have a bracket welded onto the corners of the battery and adon the same color red. Looks like a real quality model. Keep up the good work.

Unread postPosted: 18 Nov 2005, 19:46
by Habu
Haha, only us modelers would think to accurately replicate that. But you're right, I've noticed that myself in the wells I've looked at lately.

Unread postPosted: 18 Nov 2005, 19:52
by Rexxxx
Hmm, I'll have to go out the door and look. I took pictures that I used as a reference, but didn't think to check and see if that was the same! Thanks for the comments!

Rexxxx

Unread postPosted: 19 Nov 2005, 19:20
by Rexxxx
Alright, Time for a few more pictures. I have to apologize up front since the digital camera is out of town with my wife. Unfortunately I'm relegated to using my webcam, so the resolution isn't that great, but I think you'll get the idea. Here they are... (oh by the way, Taco44, I looked, and our battery holders still look like the kit. Guess they didn't get updated yet).

Rexxxx

Unread postPosted: 19 Nov 2005, 23:21
by Taco44
No worries Rexxxx. I'll try to post some photos of ours. The model looks great. Can't wait to see in higher resolution.

Unread postPosted: 20 Nov 2005, 06:18
by regevmm
Hey Rexxxx, it seem that you did some of the fuselage stiffeners from scratch, am i right ?
I'm now building an f-16 in 1/72 and did most of the stiffeners and it looking good, i will post some pictures in my "in progress" (88-0413).

Regev

Unread postPosted: 20 Nov 2005, 06:53
by Habu
Here's the aformentioed new battery mount. I knew I took this pic for something! The flanges are indeed firmly attached to the case, almost looks like they're molded in:

Unread postPosted: 20 Nov 2005, 06:53
by Rexxxx
Actually, the stiffeners are from Orion Models. Dave Roof makes a pretty good product, and since it's self-adhesive vinyl, they're really easy to apply. I still have to apply the ones at the base of the vertical stab, but I'm waiting until I get the stab on the model to do that.

Check this thread: http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewtopi ... orion.html

Unread postPosted: 20 Nov 2005, 06:56
by Rexxxx
Wow, yeah ours look nothing like that. Here's the pic I took on our flightline and used as a reference.

Unread postPosted: 20 Nov 2005, 07:15
by Habu
Looks like the same type of battery alright, but it has the older style cage bracket. Just another intricacy of our favorite jet :-D

Unread postPosted: 22 Nov 2005, 02:57
by Taco44
Well, you beat me too it Habu. Your battery picture is the same type of batteries we have.

Rexxxx-It looks like somebody had fun with the Lube gun. Heads would roll if I found my jet like that, although it is a fun prank for the guy who missed work.

Unread postPosted: 04 Dec 2005, 07:35
by Rexxxx
Couple more pics. Turkey Day and a cranky computer slowed down production for a while. I should be able to get back to it soon, though.

Unread postPosted: 05 Dec 2005, 01:51
by Taco44
lookin good.

Unread postPosted: 05 Dec 2005, 08:16
by Habu
Isn't that flamholder supposed to be turqouise? ;)

Unread postPosted: 05 Dec 2005, 17:02
by Rexxxx
Maybe when it's brand new. Never seen a new one, though. Ours are nearly black.

Unread postPosted: 06 Dec 2005, 00:05
by Habu
ooooh...soot soot

Unread postPosted: 06 Dec 2005, 01:36
by Rexxxx
Yeah, I did see what you're talking about though, in the thread about writing in the exhaust section.

Unread postPosted: 07 Dec 2005, 02:26
by Taco44
The GEs don't stay blue for very long. They start out a bright silver color. After about ten flight hours they are blue. After about a month they turn to a dark burnt metal color. There isn't too much soot associated with the tail pipe. On the other hand, Pratt & Shitneys seem to stay blue for some time.

Unread postPosted: 19 Dec 2005, 15:41
by Rexxxx
And now for my next trick.....

For some reason Hasegawa decided to leave out the AOA probes on their 1/48 kit. Not sure why, since they included them on their 1/72 kit. At any rate, adding them required a small bit of creativity.

Here's what I did - take a straight pin and snip the head off (sts). Insert pin into chuck for electric drill. Use relatively slow speed on drill to "drill" holes for AOA probes in the radome. Remove straight pin from drill and cut pin in half. File one end of each half of straight pin to blunt, tapered point (sts). Insert pins from inside of radome out. Add desired weight to radome (1g recommended by kit) and attach radome to rest of model. Voila! You now have AOA probes.

Unread postPosted: 20 Dec 2005, 05:03
by Taco44
Good tip. Looks great. I'll have to try that approach.

Unread postPosted: 25 Dec 2005, 03:21
by Rexxxx
Merry Christmas everyone! Well, I've finally made a little more progress with the model. I actually did about three times as much work as it should have taken, but I'm pretty happy with the end result, so I guess it was worth it.

I've had a little trouble finding the right color (or something close enough) for the GE Engine nozzle. I tried Alclad Jet Exhaust, and it had a little too much of a copper tone for my taste. Then I tried Model Master Metalizer Exhaust. That was too dark. (yes, I stripped the paint off the nozzle both times). Finally I've found the color that I think will stick (well, it was close enough, and I'm tired of stripping paint).

At any rate, here's the end result. By the way, the part is Shawn Hull's GE exhaust nozzle. I've used Model Master Metalizer Titanium for the turkey feathers, Metalizer Exhaust for the darker colored band, and just plain enamel silver for the small band between the two. On the inside I tried a pastel wash. I think I may have been a little heavy-handed, but at this point, I'm not going to do it over. I'll save it for the next one. Oh yeah, I finished with a light Future coat to seal it all.

All in all, this has been my first attempt at working with Metalizers, Parafilm, or Future, and I was pretty pleased with all 3!

Enjoy!

Unread postPosted: 25 Dec 2005, 04:29
by AfterburnerDecalsScott
LOL, I don 't feel too bad about being a bonehead and creating all the delays for the decals.

Basically, thw way this is working, I made Rexxxx a bunch of sets, and am selling the rest :-)

The instructions are in Hutchins Texas at the FedEx distribution center, being delivered to Phoenix on the 27th. My fault entirely. I tried to save some $$$ on the instruction printing by farming it out to a local guy, who underbid the outfit we used the first time...but not by that much. I picked cheap, and got what I deserved....lied to about when the order was shipped, and a weeks worth of runaround.

The plus side is they look great...the downside is it took them 3 weeks longer to print, and almost 2 weeks to actually ship them. Grrrrr...... :bang:

Lesson: go with what you know, and you generally get what you pay for.

Think you'll have it ready for decals by the 27th? :P

BTW, that looks freakin' pimp!

Unread postPosted: 27 Dec 2005, 18:23
by Rexxxx
Thanks, Scott! Not quite ready for decals yet, but I'm getting there. Actually, I got the nozzle and vertical tail on yesterday, so I'm not far off (more pictures to follow). Just have to do a lot of masking and then she's ready to airbrush. Maybe this week with the reduced schedule at work. I'm already planning on making another one to give to our Squadron Commander as a going away gift from our squadron when he PCS's, so I'll have to get on the ball with that one (luckily I know just where to get decals for his jet!).

Don't worry about it taking a little longer to get the decals out. Like others have said, we know that when they're released, they'll be a very high quality product, so it's worth the wait!

Unread postPosted: 29 Dec 2005, 02:09
Yours were the first ones out the door. Mike mailed them out today I believe....you should actually see them before I do, LOL! I'm not going to be home until after New Years, and maybe a week later than that.

You got a big handfull of 'em, so you hafta share with Doc. :D

Unread postPosted: 29 Dec 2005, 05:51
by Rexxxx
THAT'S AWESOME!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D

Thanks for all your hard work, Scott! I can't wait to see them. I'll let you know as soon as they get here. Don't worry, I'll share with Laser. I know he'll be glad to get them, too. Talk to you again soon, and have a Happy New Year!

Rexxxx

Unread postPosted: 30 Dec 2005, 10:00
by Habu
Doh! you're trying to break me aren't you! You and Bob both man! I just ordered his newest releases tonight. But I held back a little so I can get your sheets too, don't worry ;)

Unread postPosted: 30 Dec 2005, 16:55
I REALLY need Bob to turn on the frickin' links!!

Unread postPosted: 01 Jan 2006, 01:54
by Rexxxx
Ok, here are some more updates. First, I managed to (almost) finish the TER. It's come together quite nicely, I just have a little bit of touch-up to do with some putty.

Unread postPosted: 01 Jan 2006, 02:01
by Rexxxx
Next, I had to figure out how to make a custom pylon for the ALQ-131 pod. Unfortunately, you can't just substitute the centerline tank pylon, as it's too long and too tall. However, without too much effort, you can convert it. Here are my step-by-step photos:

Unread postPosted: 02 Jan 2006, 22:38
by Habu
Ya know, Shawn Hull's ALQ-184 pod comes with an excellent pylon. ;)

Unread postPosted: 03 Jan 2006, 20:49
by Rexxxx
Actually, I didn't know, but now that I look at it, it is pretty nice!

Unread postPosted: 03 Jan 2006, 23:02
by Habu
I do believe it comes with two pods and pylons too. So you can use one for the -184, and one for the -131. Trouble is, you now have a -184 without a cool pylon :-P

Unread postPosted: 06 Jan 2006, 23:20
by Rexxxx
What I'd really like to know is where I can get a good 1/48 -131 pod. From what I gather, I pretty much have to get one from a different aircraft kit that has one included. I managed to get lucky with my current kit as I bought it off of e-bay and it included a lot of extra goodies, including a -131 pod (without the pylon, though :-( ).

Unread postPosted: 07 Jan 2006, 00:08
by Habu
Hasegawa Weapons Set B.

Unread postPosted: 13 Feb 2006, 15:22
by Rexxxx
Finally a little more progress. First coat is on. Should be able to get some more done this week or the coming weekend.

Unread postPosted: 13 Feb 2006, 16:18
by Habu
Man, everybody's getting stuff done. I gotta get my bench up. But flying comes first!

Unread postPosted: 20 Feb 2006, 15:29
by Rexxxx
More progress over the long weekend! Slowly but surely!

Unread postPosted: 01 Mar 2006, 00:48
by ghettobird
Kind of off topic...but when did Viper batteries turn red? mine were always blue from 95-99

Unread postPosted: 01 Mar 2006, 00:53
by Habu
2001-ish.

Unread postPosted: 01 Mar 2006, 00:54
by ghettobird
ahh, K...quick response Habu...makes ya kinda think you don't have anything else to do :P

Unread postPosted: 01 Mar 2006, 00:58
by Habu
I don't at the moment...but I'm about to leave. Besides, the mod is all-knowing MUHAHAHAHAHAHA! :D

Unread postPosted: 10 Mar 2006, 13:29
by Scorpion1alpha
Very nice looking Viper Rexxxx! Like the details like the green HUD and clean build so far. Keep us updated. :thumb:

Unread postPosted: 12 Mar 2006, 18:20
by Rexxxx
Thanks, Scorpion! It's definitely moving right along now, and it's a good thing, too. Turns out our Commander is chaning command a little earlier than I expected, so now I'm rushing to finish a second one. Got to be done in less than 2 weeks now! At least I've already learned a lot of the mistakes to avoid!

Here are a couple of update pictures. Nearing completion now!

Rexxxx

Unread postPosted: 13 Mar 2006, 00:29
No time for flying vipers dangit....gotta build models!!

Unread postPosted: 13 Mar 2006, 00:58
by Rexxxx
You joke, but..... If I don't make some progress on that thing, I may have to take some leave! :lol:

Unread postPosted: 13 Mar 2006, 07:00
So, y'all are doing a 1/48 instead? Sorry we couldn't swing 1/32 man.....I have a Tamiya viper that's begging for a set of hounds markings.

Hope Col Bell appreciates the 8,654 e-mails that went into that sheet, LOL! I have to say, that was among the most enjoyable projects I've ever been involved with. Now, getting the dadgummed wing jet out is the next feat!

I'll make a separate thread. Can't wait to see your build done!

Unread postPosted: 13 Mar 2006, 08:00
by Rexxxx
Actually, the Ops side of the house is doing a 1/48. Not sure if the maintenance guys are still planning on the 1/32 or not. I'll have to ask.

I'll make sure I let him know about all the work that's gone into that sheet! I'm sure he'll appreciate all the work (although I'd be willing to bet it was closer to 8524 e-mails). :wink: Somehow that just sounds better. Anyway, looking forward to seeing your thread as well!

Rexxxx

Unread postPosted: 27 Mar 2006, 04:20
by Rexxxx
Well, I managed to finish 776! I actually was able to get the 90% solution by the going-away dinner Thursday night, and was able to at least present it. There were only a couple of cosmetic details to wrap up, and I finished that tonight. I'm posting pictures of that jet in the "Finished Models Showroom". Hopefully I'll finish mine up shortly as well.

Rexxxx

Unread postPosted: 25 Apr 2006, 16:13
by Meathook
WoW..the detail throws me back, a very well done...amazing looking model you got there.

You have lots of time on your hands I think but that is not a bad thing, I can see and read it has taken you lots of time.

It looks great, cockpit, well wheels, exhaust nozzles...all amazing - Salute

Unread postPosted: 25 Apr 2006, 16:14
by Meathook
WoW..the detail throws me back, a very well done...amazing looking model you got there.

You have lots of time on your hands I think but that is not a bad thing, I can see and read it has taken you lots of time.

It looks great, cockpit, well wheels, exhaust nozzles...all amazing - Salute

Unread postPosted: 25 Apr 2006, 17:10
by Habu
Heh, don't we wish we had more time! You'll find that moost ardent modelers don't have a lot of time, it's just that we do a lot with the time we do have. ;)

Unread postPosted: 26 Apr 2006, 03:25
by Rexxxx
Unfortunately, I seem to be doing a lot of other stuff with the time that I do have, hence the SLOW build! :roll:

Compare this to my nearly-identical build of 90-0776, which took only 3 weeks (granted, I was scrambling to get it done in the last couple of days!).

Just goes to show, if you wait until the last minute, it only takes a minute.

Unread postPosted: 08 Nov 2013, 12:15
by brett309
Nice work done, I must say that this is one of the best models. I do find it quite interesting though that these pieces show up. That is closer to the real thing than any of the other models .