1/72 F-16A

Discuss technique and post photographs of your work in progress

by aaron0123 » 26 Oct 2014, 04:04

Hello! This is my first time posting here. I have "collected" die cast airplanes for a little bit and I have now decided to make my first model aircraft. Since this is my first model feel free to give advice/tips, or to critique my model. The model I chose is the 1/72 Revell F-16A as shown here
photo (25).JPG

Here is the beginning of my model next to a die cast Witty Wings F-16
photo (27).JPG

The color scheme that I chose is the 314th squadron (RNlAF) "Redskins"
ajb.jpg

I started off with the cockpit and the pilot
photo (26).JPG

I put the cockpit into the plane and decided to ditch the pilot due to lack of detail and because the scale seemed a bit off
photo (28).JPG

(note:this paint is not navy, it is a dark black/grayish color, it just came out weird on camera)
I wasnt very happy with this gap created between the cockpit and the wall so I painted two small pieces of plastic and glued them inside before:
photo25.5.png

after:
photo26.5.png

Alright, more to come in the near future!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by Ruud » 31 Oct 2014, 23:15

Great to see a new WIP here! A great choice (1st an F-16, 2nd a KLu one).

The Revell kit is very nice. The intake is a bit of a bear to wrestle with. One option is to cut a "plug" out of cardboard, paint it red and call it good. Or use foil to make a cover.

The seem between the front fuselage and the back half of the top of the fuselage needs some care. I'd work on that before you put too much into the cockpit.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by Ruud » 01 Nov 2014, 17:38

On other point to mention: when putting the top and bottom fuselages together, you'll notice that the fit in the center (by the wings) is very tight. On my last kits i heeded the advice to sand down the bottom parts edges that are supposed to fit into the top fuselage. The one thing i did not do was to also thin that edge. When i sanded it so that the bottom fit easily into the top, it needed to be a little thinner. I ended up with a little step there. Not a huge issue, a bit of Mr. Surfacer and sanding and all was good (besides it is under the wing in a hard to see spot.