Building the Kinetic DJ

Discuss technique and post photographs of your work in progress
F-16.net Moderator
F-16.net Moderator

by Scorpion1alpha » 08 Feb 2009, 14:23

I dunno, that two-seat canopy's shape and size don't look right to me.
I'm watching...

by JochemP » 08 Feb 2009, 20:30

Found the Kinetic DJ in the Greek scale model site, here's the link

http://www.modelclub.gr/forums/index.ph ... 426.0.html

The guy used both kits, an AM + DJ + CFT = HAF Blk 52, the inside story ...ups!
I'm not fluent in Greek

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Habu » 08 Feb 2009, 20:51

Ugh...I dunno, I just can't get past the shape of that nose...
Do your homework, Tiger!

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by ViperEnforcer » 11 Feb 2009, 20:59

Same here, the dorked up nose is really a Viper eye-sore.

A decent attempt, though it is kind of a rough build. Kinetic is soon to release the F-16I and F-16CDPolish Viper. If going the Kenetic route you may want to wait and see if one of these might work for ya.

Mike V
If it yanks, banks, turns, and burns, Crew Chiefs made it happen!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by pucara70 » 28 Feb 2009, 00:30

proudpop wrote:Here's some pics to support(?) the previous few threads. I'm almost ready to weather the Samurai's.
When they are finished, I'll finish the Kinetic DJ and the Polish Block 52.

Thank you a lot for adding the side view of the Kinetic kit vs. the Tamiya kit!!!, I was looking for a pic like that through all the net....well, it is true that the Tamiya nose is better, more "accurate", but I don´t see that the Kinetic nose is all that wrong some claim in the modeling forums....I mean, that nose is by no means a reason for not buying this kit...it has a lot of advantages over its adversaries, I think it is a very competitive kit...besides, no kit is perfect, something that most modellers forget easily, they aren´t the "real" thing...only representations of the real thing...as I am not a river counter and don´t put my models at contests I follow this rule a friend told me (a good canadian one)....if once the model is finished, it represents what it is supposed to..and you like it....then it is a superb model!!!!. Just my two cents...thanks again for the pics...!

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Habu » 28 Feb 2009, 00:57

That...the nose is pretty bad. Perhaps you're not as familiar with the shape, but for us that have been building them for many years, it's quite apparent.
Do your homework, Tiger!

by proudpop » 28 Feb 2009, 05:26

pucara70 wrote:
proudpop wrote:Here's some pics to support(?) the previous few threads. I'm almost ready to weather the Samurai's.
When they are finished, I'll finish the Kinetic DJ and the Polish Block 52.

Thank you a lot for adding the side view of the Kinetic kit vs. the Tamiya kit!!!, I was looking for a pic like that through all the net....well, it is true that the Tamiya nose is better, more "accurate", but I don´t see that the Kinetic nose is all that wrong some claim in the modeling forums....I mean, that nose is by no means a reason for not buying this kit...it has a lot of advantages over its adversaries, I think it is a very competitive kit...besides, no kit is perfect, something that most modellers forget easily, they aren´t the "real" thing...only representations of the real thing...as I am not a river counter and don´t put my models at contests I follow this rule a friend told me (a good canadian one)....if once the model is finished, it represents what it is supposed to..and you like it....then it is a superb model!!!!. Just my two cents...thanks again for the pics...!

I agree. The new Tamiya kits are obviously outstanding kits and I think a very high standard has been set that all others have to live up to. I have 4 of the Kinetic DJ's and one -AM on hand to build. The Kinetic's definitely have their flaws but for the average model builder who has never spent time around the F-16 (except visiting their kid who's flying them) I think that the Kinetic DJ will fill a void until Tam comes out with the station wagon. The amount of armament that comes with the kit is a definite plus, since you can't get the Hasegawa Weapons D anymore! I have the Tam Aggressor on order and I am anxiously looking forward to getting that in my hands! Having built double digit Tam Block 50 kits, the Kinetic kits are rough, but do-able. I know that there are problems with it but I'm looking forward to building them-I just can't find anyone who wants a "station wagon" model built to their specs. I am just about finished the next 6 (4 Tam's and 2 Hasegawa's) to send to the 14FS. (check out the Block 50's to the desert thread) Once they are in the mail, I going to finish the Kinetic DJ OOB. So stay tuned!
Attachments
P2270059.JPG
Kinetic in the front-next on the assy line

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by pucara70 » 28 Feb 2009, 13:45

Proudpop , I totally agree with you....that´s what I meant when I say that for a non expert modeller or the ones that take part at contests, or all ones wich thinks that everything in a kit is wrong (Trumpeter Panther and so on..), the Kinetic option is a good one, plus, it have advantages over the other manufacturers (a lot of weapons, modern ones, good decals, modern versions and so on)....I insist on this point, there is not a perfect kit....even Hasegawa or Tamiya ones have flaws....it seems that a lot of people criticise the "chinese" kits, simply because they´re chinese......but even Revell, Eduard, Hasegawa and Tamiya have made mistakes, but all kits are a fun build for the modeler who enjoys modelling and is not a "rivet counter", or take part at a contest...just my humble opinion...
Good work Proudpop!!!!!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by pucara70 » 28 Feb 2009, 13:49

Habu wrote:That...the nose is pretty bad. Perhaps you're not as familiar with the shape, but for us that have been building them for many years, it's quite apparent.

Maybe I didn´t build a ton of them as you probably did, but I am not a moron and have plenty of photos, books and kits, plus I´ve seen the real thing at FIDAE...so I think I am familiar with the shape of the nose, and I said that the Tamiya kit is the more "accurate" in that part, but I don´t think that the Kinetic one is so awful to prevent an average modeler to buy it and enjoy it.....it depends on how "seriously" you take a hobby...for me the thing looks like an F-16, not like a Mirage III or an F-15 or MiG-29, it represents what it is expected from it, a decent F-16 Fighting Falcon...just my humble opinion.....

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Habu » 28 Feb 2009, 19:45

Here we go....:roll:

Facts are facts. There's several shape and fit issues with the Kinetic kit. The facts are indisputable.

But it's your money, so you'll get what you pay for. If you want to spend it on an inaccurate, ill-fitting kit, that is completely up to you. If you enjoy building it, and it looks like the subject to you, by all means....more power to you.
Do your homework, Tiger!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by pucara70 » 28 Feb 2009, 23:03

Habu, then we have a deal!!, that´s what I meant to say in first place, but as my English is not so good, maybe I couldn´t explain my point better....anyone choose what he or she wants... :cheers:
Duc in Altum

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Habu » 01 Mar 2009, 01:12

No worries man. Have at it, build it up, post the pics, love to see them!
Do your homework, Tiger!

by proudpop » 21 Jan 2010, 04:35

Been a while! Got back to the Kinetic kits, not only the Block 50 but now the Block 60. After sooo many Tamiya kits, the Kinetics are a real pain in the A@% to build (as 4 pages on this thread show), but it fills a need until Tam comes out with the B/D/F models. The ship loaded with ordnance is the only one finished. Yep that's a Warthog sticking it's tail in - took over the MI @ Selfridge, MI last year. :?
Attachments
Kinetics & Tamiyas.JPG
Kinetics in the front, Tamiya's behind

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Habu » 21 Jan 2010, 05:37

F model eh? I'm going to start my Tam conversion as soon as I can get a workbench up!
Do your homework, Tiger!

by JochemP » 23 Apr 2010, 14:23

Sweet!... mate can u post the whole fleet? lol... would like to see that bro'

PreviousNext