Laughable Airliner design by graphic designer

Non-military aviation
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by Prinz_Eugn » 06 Mar 2015, 04:47

Wow, maybe I should post work here more often if it gets that much attention...

Lost of folks apparently missed my point. When you're talking about art, often even technical-oriented art, realism is a secondary consideration to aesthetics. The usual target audience cares way more about the latter than the former.

Actual designs for me serve as a starting point, providing interesting visual cues that lead to designs people can identify with. The design I posted, for example, was me going "hmmm, what would a stealthy SR-71 look like?" (honestly I'm not satisfied with what I came up with). For the most part, something only needs to be "realistic" enough so that people accept it without getting too caught up in picking it apart (suspension of disbelief). F-16.net is simply not my target audience (nor probably anyone's), and aiming to please on the level of this website simply is not worth the effort.

On the other end, there are always artists (usually very young...) who think that because they can draw something new, that it would totally work if it were real. It can be hard to tell who is actually that dumb, and who simply is mimicking real-world explanations ("Built by Blarkhard Morton, with the first flight in 20X3...") as part of the creative process. Any decent artist however is going to do some research on their subject, and understand that creating something thoroughly realistic is simply beyond them. People also really like it if you "justify" a design, and I have literally made up specs because people asked for them.

Anyway, here is my most popular piece:Image
"A visitor from Mars could easily pick out the civilized nations. They have the best implements of war."

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by KamenRiderBlade » 06 Mar 2015, 05:57

Prinz_Eugn wrote:Wow, maybe I should post work here more often if it gets that much attention...

Lost of folks apparently missed my point. When you're talking about art, often even technical-oriented art, realism is a secondary consideration to aesthetics. The usual target audience cares way more about the latter than the former.

Actual designs for me serve as a starting point, providing interesting visual cues that lead to designs people can identify with. The design I posted, for example, was me going "hmmm, what would a stealthy SR-71 look like?" (honestly I'm not satisfied with what I came up with). For the most part, something only needs to be "realistic" enough so that people accept it without getting too caught up in picking it apart (suspension of disbelief). F-16.net is simply not my target audience (nor probably anyone's), and aiming to please on the level of this website simply is not worth the effort.

On the other end, there are always artists (usually very young...) who think that because they can draw something new, that it would totally work if it were real. It can be hard to tell who is actually that dumb, and who simply is mimicking real-world explanations ("Built by Blarkhard Morton, with the first flight in 20X3...") as part of the creative process. Any decent artist however is going to do some research on their subject, and understand that creating something thoroughly realistic is simply beyond them. People also really like it if you "justify" a design, and I have literally made up specs because people asked for them.

Anyway, here is my most popular piece:Image

Do you have more detailed pictures of the fictional airplanes?

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by Prinz_Eugn » 06 Mar 2015, 19:37

If you click on the picture, it links to a larger image. These were created as "pixel art" so by default they are pretty tiny.

I've made bigger versions of the F-45 and the MiG-51: MiG-51 line art, MiG-51 shaded, MiG-51 on the ground, F-45.
"A visitor from Mars could easily pick out the civilized nations. They have the best implements of war."

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by count_to_10 » 07 Mar 2015, 00:04

Prinz_Eugn wrote:If you click on the picture, it links to a larger image. These were created as "pixel art" so by default they are pretty tiny.

I've made bigger versions of the F-45 and the MiG-51: MiG-51 line art, MiG-51 shaded, MiG-51 on the ground, F-45.

The F/A-28A looks interesting. What is the idea behind the F-35D?
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.

Uncertainty: Learn it, love it, live it.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by Prinz_Eugn » 08 Mar 2015, 08:03

count_to_10 wrote:
Prinz_Eugn wrote:If you click on the picture, it links to a larger image. These were created as "pixel art" so by default they are pretty tiny.

The F/A-28A looks interesting. What is the idea behind the F-35D?

Thanks, the F/A-28 started sort of a mix of NATF and Super Hornet.

The F-35D pretty much just came from the fact at the time I was working on a game project (with sirsapo) set in the future, and going with a letter after C seemed futurey. I think it started out as a mix of the F-35A+B, related to the idea at the time that the Air Force might get modified B models. The latest description I wrote, which I barely remember, says it's a "rugged F-35B meant as a cheap fighter and attack aircraft for forward deployment using V/STOL ability". I need to think up something better, I don't really like that.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by count_to_10 » 08 Mar 2015, 22:38

Prinz_Eugn wrote:The F-35D pretty much just came from the fact at the time I was working on a game project (with sirsapo) set in the future, and going with a letter after C seemed futurey. I think it started out as a mix of the F-35A+B, related to the idea at the time that the Air Force might get modified B models. The latest description I wrote, which I barely remember, says it's a "rugged F-35B meant as a cheap fighter and attack aircraft for forward deployment using V/STOL ability". I need to think up something better, I don't really like that.

My thought would be that there could be a 'D model that involved a new engine for supercruise, but it could also be something like the installation of a laser weapon or an unmanned variant.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by KamenRiderBlade » 07 Jun 2016, 23:21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6nwzJL-scE

LOL at what the kids on YouTube think is "Innovative" & Futuristic

=D

Prepare to laugh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 07 Jun 2016, 23:58

here...
Attachments
b_17_mojo_by_maxhitman-d8b9lp1.jpg
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by count_to_10 » 08 Jun 2016, 00:50

KamenRiderBlade wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6nwzJL-scE

LOL at what the kids on YouTube think is "Innovative" & Futuristic

=D

Prepare to laugh

Heh. They included the FALCAN from Ace Combat 5.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by count_to_10 » 08 Jun 2016, 00:53

popcorn wrote:here...

That doesn't make sense for one important reason: the props should be pushers for a canard set-up. I don't think you can balance it otherwise.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by KamenRiderBlade » 08 Jun 2016, 01:08

count_to_10 wrote:Heh. They included the FALCAN from Ace Combat 5.

I noticed that too

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by southernphantom » 08 Jun 2016, 05:02

popcorn wrote:here...

Ahh, the infamous Burt Rutan B-17.
I'm a mining engineer. How the hell did I wind up here?

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by jessmo111 » 08 Jun 2016, 06:42

LOL this is the best post ever

It carries approximately 1 million people. It goes mach 882,000. And in every single flight, it generates enough energy to power the world for 1000 years. Also, Jesus is the pilot and Captain Jean Luc Picard is his co-pilot. Each one costs negative money, as in, I will pay you for each unit you purchase. My state of the art production facility prominently features my colon and rectum to painstakingly craft each part.
Attachments
brick.jpg

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by KamenRiderBlade » 16 Jul 2016, 20:29

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2016071 ... d-airliner

Thunderf00t debunks and pokes fun at this PoS design:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLCmC01HjJE

Enjoy BBC's nuclear powered idiotic concept for a good laugh.

Previous