Modern Russian Avionics

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

octave

Newbie

Newbie

  • Posts: 18
  • Joined: 13 Aug 2020, 17:26

Unread post27 Aug 2020, 22:14

Hi Guys,

If the cockpit layout of Su-33 in DCS is correct (which I am 99% sure is), then even in such a "modern times" Russian front-line jet, there is only one MFD. Come on man, one single screen for all the stuff (radar, HSI, even may be for targeting pod, etc...)

I really don't understand why they don't put one or two more MFDs to ease the pilots jobs.

Also, the HUD shows just a few very basic flight info (heading, altitude, speed) but nothing else. When you combine this with only one MFD, I believe they have very limited SA.

If this is the reality, then I really congratulate the Russian Jet Jokers for their real hard efforts to counter balance their western opponents. Because even a 30-40 years old F-16/18 C/D provides much more SA to its pilot.

Your thoughts ?
Offline

hythelday

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 624
  • Joined: 25 Jul 2016, 12:43
  • Location: Estonia

Unread post27 Aug 2020, 22:34

Su-33 is far from modern.

Plenty of cockpit pics of Su-35/Su-30SM etc on the web.
Offline

basher54321

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2058
  • Joined: 02 Feb 2014, 15:43

Unread post28 Aug 2020, 00:50

Crikey yes Su-33 first went to sea somewhere early 1990s it looks like.
Offline

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

  • Posts: 4930
  • Joined: 10 Mar 2006, 01:24
  • Location: Nashua NH USA

Unread post28 Aug 2020, 01:24

And it was an intentional design choice to make transition from earlier planes easier, as the cockpits are simply not different in any meaningful way.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer
Offline

octave

Newbie

Newbie

  • Posts: 18
  • Joined: 13 Aug 2020, 17:26

Unread post29 Aug 2020, 10:38

Ooops :wink: I was thinking Su-33 somewhere between Su-27 and Su-35.

I then checked the HUD of the Su-35 from internet images (which were mostly low res). It also seems to be improved a bit.

Thanks guys.
Offline

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

  • Posts: 4157
  • Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 10:26
  • Location: Parts Unknown

Unread post31 Aug 2020, 15:37

Modern Russian Avionics is a bit of an oxymoron, don't you think?

Modern compared to 3rd world countries, yes. Modern by Western (F-22/35/Typhoon/Rafale/even Gripen) standards? Hardly. The SU-35's avionics compares to western jets of the late 90's/early 2000's in many ways. But this was 20-25 years ago, and most western jets now have a much superior avionics fit. That's only going to get worse (for Russia) as more and more F-35 units are stood up around the world.

Much, much worse LOL
Offline

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

  • Posts: 4930
  • Joined: 10 Mar 2006, 01:24
  • Location: Nashua NH USA

Unread post31 Aug 2020, 16:08

Even the latest BOING planes are getting WAD touchscreens instead of gages.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer
Offline

milosh

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1132
  • Joined: 27 Feb 2008, 23:40
  • Location: Serbia, Belgrade

Unread post31 Aug 2020, 19:13

mixelflick wrote:Modern Russian Avionics is a bit of an oxymoron, don't you think?

Modern compared to 3rd world countries, yes. Modern by Western (F-22/35/Typhoon/Rafale/even Gripen) standards? Hardly. The SU-35's avionics compares to western jets of the late 90's/early 2000's in many ways. But this was 20-25 years ago, and most western jets now have a much superior avionics fit. That's only going to get worse (for Russia) as more and more F-35 units are stood up around the world.

Much, much worse LOL


He asked about cockpit, because Su-33 cockpit is quite archaic so he thought other cockpits are similar. In fact Su-35 cockpit is closest to F-35 cockpit of fighters you mentioned:
Image
Offline

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

  • Posts: 4930
  • Joined: 10 Mar 2006, 01:24
  • Location: Nashua NH USA

Unread post31 Aug 2020, 19:58

of what he mentioned, sure, but it's much closer to SHornet Blk III or F-15EX than it is to an F-35.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer
Offline

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

  • Posts: 4157
  • Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 10:26
  • Location: Parts Unknown

Unread post01 Sep 2020, 16:21

milosh wrote:
mixelflick wrote:Modern Russian Avionics is a bit of an oxymoron, don't you think?

Modern compared to 3rd world countries, yes. Modern by Western (F-22/35/Typhoon/Rafale/even Gripen) standards? Hardly. The SU-35's avionics compares to western jets of the late 90's/early 2000's in many ways. But this was 20-25 years ago, and most western jets now have a much superior avionics fit. That's only going to get worse (for Russia) as more and more F-35 units are stood up around the world.

Much, much worse LOL


He asked about cockpit, because Su-33 cockpit is quite archaic so he thought other cockpits are similar. In fact Su-35 cockpit is closest to F-35 cockpit of fighters you mentioned:
Image


Looks pretty spiffy..

Still, cockpit layout is one thing - the avionics its hooked to is quite another. But perhaps you assumed that anyway in answering his question. I have however, seen a lot of people confuse the two for the same thing. They see wide angle displays, very few buttons in general and think, "Wow, this aircraft must have some great situational awareness, EW systems and sophisticated armament"!

For all they know, that wide angle display might be hooked up to a zucchini...
Offline

charlielima223

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1225
  • Joined: 12 Jan 2014, 19:26

Unread post01 Sep 2020, 21:40

mixelflick wrote:
milosh wrote:
mixelflick wrote:Modern Russian Avionics is a bit of an oxymoron, don't you think?

Modern compared to 3rd world countries, yes. Modern by Western (F-22/35/Typhoon/Rafale/even Gripen) standards? Hardly. The SU-35's avionics compares to western jets of the late 90's/early 2000's in many ways. But this was 20-25 years ago, and most western jets now have a much superior avionics fit. That's only going to get worse (for Russia) as more and more F-35 units are stood up around the world.

Much, much worse LOL


He asked about cockpit, because Su-33 cockpit is quite archaic so he thought other cockpits are similar. In fact Su-35 cockpit is closest to F-35 cockpit of fighters you mentioned:
Image


Looks pretty spiffy..

Still, cockpit layout is one thing - the avionics its hooked to is quite another. But perhaps you assumed that anyway in answering his question. I have however, seen a lot of people confuse the two for the same thing. They see wide angle displays, very few buttons in general and think, "Wow, this aircraft must have some great situational awareness, EW systems and sophisticated armament"!

For all they know, that wide angle display might be hooked up to a zucchini...


The F-22s cockpit layout is similar to F-16 in some regards but the SA afforded to the Raptor pilot is more than anything in any 4 or 4.5 fighter aircraft can offer.

Image

mixelflick is right. Just because you have a single piece flat screen display for your cockpit doesnt mean anything if you have a subpar PESA radar and computers/avionics. When F-22 and F-35 pilots remark that they do not need/require AWACS support for their flight, that should say a lot about how much SA those two aircraft offer their pilots.

Return to Modern Military Aircraft

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests